1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unluckiest Sports City since 1996

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rpr52121, Apr 15, 2009.

?

Which is Region, City, or State is unluckiest sports-wise?

Poll closed Apr 23, 2009.
  1. Houston

51.3%
  2. Seattle

26.5%
  3. Minnesota

4.4%
  4. Atlanta

3.5%
  5. Washington DC

1.8%
  6. San Diego

0.9%
  7. North California (San Fran/Oakland/Sacramento)

3.5%
  8. Colorado/Denver

0.9%
  9. Cincinnati

7.1%
  1. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Just trying to see who you all think is the unluckiest sports city (or in a few cases...state) since 1996. Yes, 96 is sort of random but that is the only way to really include Houston in this list.

NOTE: I will not include Philadelphia since the Phillies just won. I will also NOT include Cleveland, because I feel the Cavs will the Title this year or next year.

2. Uprising

Uprising Member

What if they don't? Wouldn't that make them very unlucky? ;)

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Why is Denver on this poll? Since 1996 the Broncos have won 2 Super Bowls, the Avalanche have won a Stanley Cup (2 if you count the one in 1996), the Rockies advanced to their first World Series, the Nuggets have been to the playoffs 6 straight seasons, hell even the Crush won an Arena Bowl.

Fail.

4. oomp

oomp Member

Dynamo have won it all and Astros went to their first World Series. We had All Star games and the Super Bowl. I don't understand why Houston has so many votes.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Minnesota isn't a city but the Twin Cities Metro Area I think certainly qualifies. Consider since 1996 all 4 major franchises have been to their Conference finals yet didn't make it to the Championships. Consider that the 1998 Vikings were considered one of the greatest offensive teams ever yet still lost to the Falcons with Gary Anderson missing a field goal at the end of regulation, Gary Anderson hadn't missed a field goal in three years prior to that.

Since this is a Houston board I'm not surprised that Houstonians wil think they are the unluckiest since the Rockets won their last championship but things in MN are much worse since the Twins won the Series in 1991.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget the Rockies went to the World Series two years ago. Denver / CO is looking like title town compared to a lot of places.

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

houston: WS appearance, texans rising, yao ming, basketball mediocrity
    seattle: NBA Finals appearance and 60 win teams, Super Bowl appaerance, ichiro, lost NBA team
    minnesota: joe smith fiasco, NBC WCF appearance, NFL playoff appearances from 96-00 incl. 2 div. championships, Adrian Peterson, kirby puckett blinded and then dead, 4 MLB division titles in 5 years
    atlanta: super bowl appearance, michael vick changed the game, michael vick in jail, MLB playoff appearances from 96-05, 2 WS appearances, crap out of the Hawks aside from last year's playoffs--sad, b/c that was a loss in game 7

ok spending less time on these--going off the top now

DC has the Redskins who have been solid, DC United won a bunch of titles if you care about soccer, the Caps are on the rise, new baseball team, Wiz at least improved but still suck in my mind, Jordan played on the team (at least good PR)
    San Diego only has 2 teams, and LDT has kept the team pretty high of late...Pads took the Stros out the year of Sterling Hitchcock..nah
    SF/Oak/Sacto: Kings had the Adelman years, Raiders with Gruden/Gannon, Warriors upsetting the Mavs was enormous, Bonds HRs, Bonds steroids, 49ers with a lot of playoff appearances
    Denver: Broncos and Elway, Rockies have been mired in mediocrity--but had a WS appearance, Nuggets have generally been pretty terrible
    Cincinnati: Bengals were junk except the one good year recently ended by Kimo hitting Palmer's knee, Reds have been pretty much junk although they have young talent right now

Cincy has no hoops team, but they still win due to how bad both of their teams have been
    (with Atlanta, Denver, and Seattle tieing for 2nd)

8. Lynus302

Lynus302 Member

Because since 96 we've lost the Oilers, had to endure years of "the Rockets wouldn't have won if MJ hadn't retired" followed by a solid decade of first-round exits. Also, the Texans were a joke from the get-go, and the Astros got no respect and no breaks despite making it to the series and winning several division championships.

Houston is the home of sports frustration.

9. Fatty FatBastard

I agree that losing the Oilers is the only reason I put us ahead of Seattle. The other towns don't come close to our level of disrespect in a town of 5.5 million.

10. kaleidosky

the poll isn't about disrespect, it's only about being the unluckiest. Not sure how we can beat out Cincinnati with the Astros enjoying a ton of success and WS appearance, along with the Rockets making the playoffs a number of times (with limited success--all early on in the time period, obviously). And if you choose to count the Dynamo, then that really adds to it

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Atlanta - Braves? Continuously in the playoffs. :eek:
    Otherwise, Basketball, Football, and whatever else: FAIL.

12. Lynus302

Lynus302 Member

Boston was unlucky for years and years, but they were still respected. I'd say the lack of respect plays into how unlucky we are.

13. eveluvsrox

eveluvsrox Member

i just knew cleveland wouldve been in the poll :eek:

14. underoverup

underoverup Member

don't forget the dynamo and the comets......... maybe the comets........ ;)

15. kaleidosky

that didn't make sense really..

the poll is "Unluckiest Sports City"

you said Boston was unlucky, but still respected.. how does that contribute to "respect plays a factor in unluckiness" ? If anything, it says that the 2 are separate..since Boston was unlucky and respected.

I guess I just don't see the relationship. Regardless, I have no clue how Houston can be viewed as more unlucky than Cincy

16. Anticope

Anticope Member

Despite the bad run of luck that Houston has had, I think Seattle has to win this hands down. They lost the Sonics, which was their most prestigious sports franchise, and haven't gotten a replacement team like Houston did for the Oilers (though it hasn't been very long so that could change).

The Mariners lost three of their best players ever in the span of about 3-4 years and have been completely irrelevant the last few years. And while the Seahawks were consistently good for a while, the one year they made the Super Bowl was a terribly officiated game that could have gone their way.

17. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

I mentioned them.

18. professorjay

professorjay Member

Not including Cleveland because of what MIGHT happen doesn't make sense nor erase what's happened over the past 10+ years.

19. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'd voted Atlanta. They won the series in 95. I think their Divsion title streak ended in 06 so thats about 10 seasons into the playoffs with no titles thats pretty unlucky..

The Hawks have been crappy not unlucky but just not good.

The Falcons got to the superbowl in 98. But the Mike Vick thing was pretty unlucky the guy was a nutjob....

I hate Dallas but they should be on the list. The Mavs had hearbreak city in 06 versus D Wade. We all thought that series was over. They had a few prior years of being a contender than they also lost to a #8 seed to their former coach. Their window as a championship contender has closed without a title....

The Cowboys havent won a playoff game since 96. And were the favorites to atleast make the Superbowl the last two seasons.

The Rangers have been brutal this decade but did make the postseason in the late 90s but overall havent really accomplished anything...

I think the Stars won something but most of us dont really care about that sport...