1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unlocked Iphones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Entropy, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Entropy

Entropy Member

So I've been carrying around an ancient 5 year old Samsung smart phone with a cracked screen and I'm finally giving in to getting a new phone. My carrier is AT&T. If I buy a refurbished factory unlocked Iphone 4 off of ebay, do I need to set up a new plan with AT&T in order for it to work? Or can I just get a new sim card from AT&T and plug it in, nothing else required?

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Data might be the only thing. Im not sure since I am currently on Tmobile, which has different data types depending on your phone. But that should be covered with getting a new sim card. You would just have to tell them to switch your data to iPhone data.

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Just pop in your sim card if it fits. If not, go to at&t store (go to a corporate store, not best buy, or an authorized retailer) and they'll give you one for free, and then add the proper data plan.

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

It probably wont matter. I think all iPhone 4 models support 3G over 850 mhz and 1900 mhz which will cover AT&T. T-Mobile has some 3G over 1700/2100 which the iphone 4 will not connect to but since he's on AT&T, it will be fine.

Anyway, as long as the phone is unlocked or if its locked to AT&T, you just have to stick a SIM card in and you should be fine.

5. Entropy

Entropy Member

Thanks for all the help guys!