1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

University Of Texas Conservative Students Hold Affirmative Action Bake Sale

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DwightHoward13, Oct 2, 2013.

1. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

I should also add, there was a lot of public anger at the Hopwood decision. (state supreme court decision that struck down affirmative action in state colleges) Affirmative action had a lot more public support in the 90s than it does today and lawmakers were quick to find an alternative to workaround the decision. The 10% rule was a compromise that promoted minority turnout as well as ensuring that children in rural communities had a chance to attend top universities in the state. It's amazing and unthinkable that the public would ever react the way it did in the 90s. It really speaks volumes to how the general attitude of Texans has changed.

Zero chance of that ever happening again today. Back then, Democrats still held a sizeable number of districts in rural areas and as a result Republicans were forced to embrace a much more moderate brand of politics. On education, that is still somewhat the case but on other issues it isn't anymore.

It makes one really nostalgic for the past when you look at what the legislature did in the past. It's really a shell of itself. Texas was once the most progressive state of the former Confederacy. Those days are long gone unfortunately.

2. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Member

I don't really have an opinion on this topic. Just wanted to chime in that the Asian in the picture is a crazy weird radical republican, and borderline racist which is kinda weird considering she's a minority.

The blonde in the picture I have doinked several times
    :cool:. She is also very conservative but I just made her shut up by putting my dick in her mouth.

I'm conservative but based off these 2 girls I know they are too radical for me as they are always talking about politics and arguing with people. They aren't that knowledgeable and the stuff they argue either and just sound like Fox News yelling all the time and dismissing others viewpoints if it's different than theirs.

#62 Butterfingers, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I actually like the 10% rule and other similar rules in other states more than straight out racial preferences. I think that rule addresses both racial, class and geographic disadvantages better than traditional AA.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

I've met several Asians who are like that and when I was in school at CAL there were several of them in the Young Republicans there.

People like that tend to come from, not surprisingly, more wealthy neighborhoods and have had little contact with blacks, Hispanics and often even other Asians outside their own ethnic group. Generally they've bought completely into the model minority myth and completely buy they idea that Asian success has nothing to do with anything other than an innate superiority and diligence.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

LOL thats what I don't understand. I love how people b**** and moan about getting into college. Study a bit harder for your ****ing SAT or something if you want to get in.

Apply to medical school and see how big of a disparity there is in terms of race when trying to get in.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Probably Asian EddieWinslow or Asian BigTex type. You can find those in every race.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Here are acceptance statistics (MCAT/GPA) to U.S medical schools based on race:
    (I am for affirmative action btw..)

The average acceptance statistics of Medical Schools is: (Mid tier) 3.76 GPA / 30 MCAT
    (Top 20 schools) 3.85GPA/ 35 MCAT

African American: https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf

Hispanic or Latino: https://www.aamc.org/download/321512/data/2012factstable25-1.pdf

Asian: https://www.aamc.org/download/321516/data/2012factstable25-3.pdf

White: https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2012factstable25-4.pdf

Asians get shafted BIG TIME. In a field where competency is vital (healthcare), the gap really shouldn't be so big. I am for some AA but not by such a large margin where future doctors can be incompetent and still gain admission.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Basically your telling us you're the Mario Lopez guy on the right.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

The black dude in the picture is like "How dumb are ya'll? I'm getting cheap brownies and you think you're teaching ME a lesson?"

10. thumbs

thumbs Member

Naw. I think each and every one of those kids pictured is just trying to receive fair share of the American pie ... or stud muffin.:cool:

11. itstheyear3030

Eddiewinslow claims to be Indian, so if he's telling the truth, he is Asian.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Member

Right, he would be the type of Asians I was talking about.

13. itstheyear3030

I don't understand. Is there something inherently wrong with Asians/Asian Americans having conservative principles or being Republican? Eddiewinslow is a terrible example, but there are plenty of conservatives, Asian or otherwise, who are intelligent and have seriously thought about their political positions.

14. itstheyear3030

Even getting perfect or near perfect scores isn't enough for Asian students at the best universities; I've known several. And these were people who played varsity sports and did lots of extracurricular activities.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

He's an ultraorthodox Hasidim.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

There is nothing wrong with it except when they buy into simplistic race baiting assumptions.

17. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Not for nothing, but you sound like the villian in an afterschool special.

18. itstheyear3030

From your earlier post, you make it sound like most, if not all, Asian conservatives are like this, which is unlikely to be true. I'd wager most don't even really think about racial issues that much; after all, there's a lot more that goes into political affiliation.

And even if they were, how would that make them any different from any other group in the US? For example, some liberal black people also harbor racial misconceptions about Asians. Minority status doesn't prevent anyone from being dumb or bigoted. Like these colleges, you're really just holding Asians to a higher standard.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm betting they were born with more than their fair share of the American pie from the start.

20. SunsRocketsfan

would hit :)

Eddie Winslow?
    [​IMG]

And AA is a horrible policy and unfair on so many levels. I'm so grateful California passed prop 209 in 1996 and banned ethnicity as a consideration for employment or admission into any California public university.

The most qualified individuals regardless of what the color of their skin is should be admitted. Especially into fields like medical and health care industry. I attended my little brothers graduation from UCLA's engineering program last year and by my estimation it was probably 75% asian. If asians are the most qualified they should be the ones to be admitted. Imagine how horrible the NBA would be to watch if AA applied to sports.

ANyways interesting history on prop 209 banning AA in California