1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

University of Texas and the Rockets created the TEXANS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 5, 2006.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/Steve_Patterson_Bio-78344-41.html
    [​IMG]
    Patterson was formerly the senior vice president and chief development officer of the Houston Texans NFL franchise, joining Houston NFL Holdings in September 1997 to lead Bob McNair’s successful effort to acquire a National Football League franchise and Super Bowl XXXVIII for Houston. Patterson was responsible for the establishment of the team’s business, legal, media and political operations, as well as the design, finance and construction of Reliant Stadium.

Prior to joining the Texans, Patterson spent over three years as president, general manager and governor of the Houston Aeros International Hockey League team. Under Patterson’s leadership the Aeros doubled the previous league record for season tickets sold and ticket revenue while setting additional marks for ticket and merchandise sales. In addition to his guiding the franchise, Patterson took an active role in league issues, serving and on the League’s Executive and Legal Committees as well as serving as the Secretary of the IHL Board of Governors.

In addition to his roles with the Aeros, Patterson also served as the President of and Partner in Arena Operating Company, which manages and operates Compaq Center, Houston’s home of the Rockets, Aeros and Comets among others. He coordinated the effort, which resulted in the six-year, $7.5 million naming rights and sponsorship deal with Compaq Computer Corporation, and a $5 million renovation of the arena.

Patterson joined the Aeros following a nine-year stint with the NBA’s Houston Rockets during which he earned a reputation as one of the most respected administrators in the league. The chief architect of the 1993-1994 Rockets squad that captured the first World Championship in franchise history, Patterson was the club’s General Manager and Alternate Governor from 1989-1993.

During that span, the Rockets won the 1992-93 Midwest Division Championship, recorded three 50-win seasons, and never had a losing record. He was regarded throughout the league as one of its top executives and was twice runner-up in the balloting for The Sporting News NBA Executive of the Year, (1991-92 & 1992-93), as voted by team presidents and general managers. Under Patterson’s direction, the Rockets were pioneers in foreign language broadcasting, creating and producing the NBA’s first season-long radio game broadcasts in Spanish and first weekly Spanish television show. He also led the club’s successful bid to host the 1989 NBA All-Star Game, which still holds the all-time attendance record of 44,735. In 1992, he negotiated, produced and promoted the NBA’s first games in Mexico, drawing sellout crowds of over 19,500 fans to the Sports Palace in Mexico City.

Born and raised in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin, Patterson attended the University of Texas, graduating with honors and earning a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration in 1980. He graduated from UT’s Law School in 1984.

Note: I was working in that building when 'NFL Holdings' was located. I always told my coworkers, "Hey that's Steve Patterson!", they didnt know who he was.

Maxwell, Dream, Kenny, Horry, Otis, Sam, Mario Rudy.
    See? Greatest team EVER.

2. msn

msn Member

He went to the JailBlazers????

For shame for shame. :(

3. BullFan

BullFan Member

I once saw Steve Patterson at the Randall's on Holcombe and Buffalo Speedway.

He was buying some milk.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

So, he was the one responsible for gettin rid of one of the best arena names in the league just so he could pocket a few extra corporate sponsorship dollars.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Riveting. Tell us more. Was is skim? 2%? He strike me as a whole milk guy. Please tell me it wasn't soy. I'd just die if it was soy.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Sorry, rockHEAD rule...no pics, no proof

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I tend to blame him for breaking up the T-Wolves/Rockets trade for Roy. He just threw so much goodwill out the window there.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

he spoke in my sports law class in law school right after they landed the expansion franchise.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

clicked on the thread, read the title, glanced at the text (highlighted parts mostly)...said "this MUST be tinman" ;) and of course.. haha, love it

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

how come he hasnt hooked us up with randolph?

11. tinman

Supporting Member

steve patterson would have signed Vince Young.
    The guy responsible for Mario Elie, Max, Sam, Dream, Otis, Kenny.
    plus he's a horn.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Romance Taylor was a Longhorn. what's your point?

13. MadMax

(he also insinuated that Dream faked an injury and shopped him to Miami for Seikaly -- but i like to forget that happened)

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i would have traded dream for seiklys chick

15. tinman

Supporting Member

my point is Steve Patterson created the Texans,
    he was part of the organization that brought the Texans to life.
    and he was the same person who was the architect of the Rockets championship. He went to UT, therefore a longhorn. A longhorn with brought football to houston.
    (maybe this is the first time you've read about Steve Pattersen)

what's your point of Romance Taylor?
    he didnt create the Texans.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Steve Patterson also brought Tracy McGrady here.
    Because Steve Patterson brokered the deal to get Reliant Stadium and the Superbowl, Steve Francis skipped his role with the Rockets to hang out with Jay Z at the Superbowl, hence putting Steve in JVG's doghouse. Next thing you know, Steve is traded and we get Tmac.

Thanks Steve.

17. MadMax

honestly, i liked patterson, too. he tried to bring pro hockey here, too, with Chuck Watson.

18. msn

msn Member

blyech.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

i was in a coma when that allegedly happened.
    also in 94-95, I noticed Vernon left the Rockets to help sick children get well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saint Max!

20. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

He was being a good GM for the Blazers. The Blazers really wanted Roy and he made the move to get him. Roy will be the most popular player on the Blazers for years to come.

Do people also forget when he publicly accused Hakeem of faking an injury to get a better contract?