1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

University of Houston: Armored Truck Robbery

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobloblaw, Dec 6, 2013.

1. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

bc she needs a job.. the driver spot is the safest. you don't want her out there doing the ATM handling, more risk.

i mean armored cars arent typically getting cased. idk if there are stats on this but its probably just slightly more unsafe than being a bank teller.

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I am not certain about nationwide, but apparently in Houston there were 3 armored car robberies last year and at least 11 this year.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9330532

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know how these trucks operate, but I'm thinking they must have the money in a safe inside the truck. So, once you get the truck, you also have to crack the safe before you make your getway. That's why I was asking if they got the money. Also, might be why the driver is so ready to surrender the truck. And, may be why the truck was ditched -- thieves saw it was harder than expected and aborted the mission.

Or maybe they just put the cash in cardboard boxes in the back. I really don't know.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yep. The insurance company will make sure of that. One stray bullet would have cost them more than replacing the stolen money.

5. dmc89

dmc89 Member

Hrm, something fishy about all this. I'm shocked that they got the cash.

My family's office had Brink's/G4S armored cars for the pickups and deliveries. Usually there were 2-3 guards. One stepped out, one drove, one carried a firearm in the rear scanning the crowd walking past. Even when there were only two, the driver was always vigilant sitting inside with the door locked and the engine running. In addition, there was a silent alarm near the door which alerted the dispatch/HQ/locked the safe, and the police were given a schedule of pickups and deliveries. A squad car would always be near in case of a robbery. Finally, there were GPS trackers on the newer vehicles (and kill-engine switches on the latest, I heard).

I can't imagine a scenario where someone sitting behind bulletproof glass and all the above security features unlocks the door and steps out.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I would've thought that truck had a gps device.

7. vvade

vvade Member

I'm sure they do which is why they ditched it 1 block later.

Anyone thing the lady was in on it? Pregnant ladies gotta eat.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I can, a pregnant female. Glad she did to.

9. platypus

platypus Member

Dam! I drove right past that **** going into the garage. I had no idea what just went down. Wow!

10. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

I drove up to school and went into the east garage parking. I had no idea what was going on with all the police cars at the entrance.

Then I read the email about the robbery. Still have no idea what happened. hah hah

11. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

wait, is that the truck? loomis?

also, isn't this the east garage parking? if it is then i drove past by it on friday morning

12. ILoveWhiteGirls

Awful this happen at a University Campus of all places endangering students and faculty members. Something needs to be done for sure.

13. SK34

SK34 Member

One of my friends said "its either an inside job or the dudes at 3rd ward became smarter"

14. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

This article suggests it was not an inside job, nor are the thieves particularly bright.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/us/in-houston-armored-cars-are-doing-the-opposite-of-dissuading-robbers.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

This is unfortunate. By and large I thought most of the danger was restricted to late night, closer to Scott street. All of a sudden all the random stops by campus police for my ID make sense. U of H is going to need start restricting facility and campus access or risk losing all the gains to their reputation over the last ten years.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

17. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

wait... the truck was later found in a UH parking Garage...?!?!?:confused::confused:

18. SK34

SK34 Member

Yes, they drove one blockk and left the truck and went in another truck to planned parenthood, then dropped that truck there.

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You know what makes this infinitely more suspicious?

Bigtexxx has yet to make an appearance in this thread

Afraid to implicate yourself, brah?

20. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Oh, I'm sure he just needs more information before he can make any kind of judgement either way.