1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

University of Florida dropping it's computer science department

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Child_Plz, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Child_Plz

Child_Plz Member

Also increases it's athletic department budget.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevens...ce-department-increases-athletic-budgets-hmm/
    Considering a high number of hires are for CS majors, this is a really stupid move.

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't believe a University would drop their computer science department if they were getting the campus recruitment, research dollars and enrollment numbers necessary to support it. I don't believe non-profit colleges behave that way, and if there's one group of people in whose collective motives I have somewhat blind faith; it's academic administrators at massive colleges like this. It's worth noting that the coursework and majors have been transferred to other departments, and that, as part of a state system, it could be inferred that the community-wide tech needs are sufficiently being met by this Polytechnic college in a fairly densely populated part of the state.

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I don't know what the hell you just wrote. Those words look hard. But then again my school dropped it's English program and transferred it to other departments. After all, they speak English in PE too.

2 people like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You could get all up in arms over this....or you could scan the news for Florida related headlines and make the fair conclusion that Florida is full of morons, and it's easy to see that their colleges probably don't attract many science majors. Tebow!!!!

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

IT'S "ITS"

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:grin: Approved.

Too bad they're not dropping their GRAMMAR department. :eek:

8. SwoLy-D

:confused: computer science or just science ????

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

UF can change their official seal.

panem et circenses :grin:

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Can UH capitalize and recruit their out of work professors?

11. Isabel

Isabel Member

That seems really embarrassing for a state flagship university, which should be able to offer a decent education in all of the major categories. The only thing I can think of is if the degrees and coursework have become included in other departments with other names. I would think that would be unlikely in this situation, though.

And with how often I see the "it's", etc., I would think everyone's English department needs more attention. Starting with the grade schools; for those raised in the U.S., I am surprised that the important grammar rules are not drilled permanently into people's heads by the time they are finished with elementary school. Then again, I teach a course for prospective elementary school teachers, and I'm starting to see what the problem is... they never learned it either. :(

1 person likes this.
  12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i have three children in grade school and i am amazed at some of the very basic grammar mistakes made by their teachers.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

It's Its

Can some one point me to the official rules of English?

In 50 years you might be wrong as its and it's is just its.

I bet their whole department was just filed with Indian Graduate students and they were like why are we subsidizing them?

14. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Easy Hitler :p

15. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

But University of Florida is actually a really good school. From wikipedia:

I think it has more to do with how poorly American children perform in math and science courses, and it seems to only being getting worse despite efforts to turn around the trend.

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Their Computer Science program is nothing special

17. SwoLy-D

Is Google that difficult to use? :p It's not. Unless its instructions are in a language you don't understand...

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Too much learnin' goin on in the skools!

SEC! SEC! SEC!

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I'm a UF alumni who did undergrad CIS there. It is a tragedy and total embarrassment that they would drop the program. Considering the age we live in, driven by a technological revolution, it is really mind boggling.

And that polytechnic school is a joke. It will probably take many years to get any accreditation and thus never attract any serious candidates. Hell, FSU almost got their accreditation taken away maybe 10 yrs ago.

What people don't know is the medical program also has it's share of major controversy at the very top over the past few years. There is a major lack of faith there now due to university politics. The relatively new president who came from Utah (yes, there's a strong Urban Meyer connection there) has failed miserably IMHO and it's only getting worse.

Let me also acknowledge what an idiot Rick Scott is, who cut funding to some programs some of which involved helping kids with disabilities across the state among many things - 100k here, 100k there. A very aggressive cost cutting move, if that's what you set out to do. Ok. And yet he gave $5 million to build a 'WORLD CLASS ROWING FACILITY'.

I hope this gets more and more national attention and embarasses the hell out of them.

#19 professorjay, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I want to gradulate the Universy of Florda for being not only the best ack-a-demic school, but also, the athletic school.