1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

United States doesn't Honor Treaty by Killing Death Row Inmate (In TX of course)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Jul 8, 2011.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The Supreme Court ruled against him. i believe even GWB was for honoring this treat, I don't get into the death penalty debate much but I wouldn't want to be in a foreign country and get in trouble and not be able to ask for help from the US.

link

#1 pgabriel, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

very disturbing.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

As an aside, the newspaper article was written in 2001. Also, as an aside, clicking on the blog article link caused a potentially dangerous popup to be displayed.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Here's the Chronicle article on the recent execution.

It's not about whether the guy deserved to be executed or not. It's about us honoring a treaty that we would expect and hope to be honored if we were ever detained abroad.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

sorry, didn't mean to include site at bottom. i'll try to find another link, all the articles i could find were actually in favor of killing the guy, i was trying to find something neutral

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

okay i after reading the chron article, leal was a toddler when he came over here. i think that's a technicality.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It could have been an ad from the blog site rather than the blog itself, but one of those types of "you have been infected..." windows popped up. I do what I always do in that situation, ctrl-alt-del, start task manager, kill all IE processes, run quick virus scan.

As to the story, yes we should have honored the treaty. And this:

"Legal and human rights groups say ignorance is to blame for a lack of U.S. compliance with the treaty."

is a lame excuse.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

rachel maddow was talking about this last night and she also brought up rick perry's rush to kill the guy accused of setting his house on fire with the kids in there.

she was saying that rick perry seems to be a viable option for the 2012 gop nomination, i think so also. her reasoning on that was that bauchmann is a looney and they don't want romney which i agree with. she was saying that the death penalty is never an issue but it may be with rick perry. in the willingham case she brought up the fact that perry replaced someone reviewing the case to speed through the execution which is disucessed in the thread i linked

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

United States following international law...

lol

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing I don't get about things like the Leal case is that the reasoning I heard from Perry's office was that they claimed that Texas as a state isn't bound by international law yet the Supremacy Clause clearly says that States are bound by treaties. I am wondering if based on that wouldn't Leal's relatives in Mexico or even the government of Mexico be able to sue Perry and the state of Texas for violating the treaty?

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Bad decision by Rick, not good for US or Texas, but I'm not going to waste my time feeling badly for a murdering rapist, the lawyer who's angry they didn't have a better chance to prove the innocence of a man who's admitted his crimes... who distraught they didn't get a consular visit for a kid who's been here for 30+ years, or even for the flag burning family that seems to have plenty of outrage about him not getting a consular visit, but not a mention of sympathy for the victim or her family. Perhaps that was just editing. Perhaps not.

Bad move by Rick, but on the list of things he's done, not at the top, for me. If it means that an American won't get a consular visit upon committing the most heinous crimes imaginable, I can live with that. Obviously the implications are larger, but ... I guess I'm just not enough of a stickler for the details when you're trying to help out a murderer / rapist who's trying to claim some sort of defense based around the Vienna Treaty for a guy commits his crimes in a country that he's been in for 30+ years.

I just can't get on the "He should have had a better chance" bandwagon. Not for this guy. Obviously there are implications that could be abused if this is used an example by a country who wants to hold a less guilty person without certain rights provided under this treaty, but I'm guessing there's a better example of how this treaty has been violated, by the US and others, than this guy.

Dude lives here all that time and his last words are viva mexico?

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Except that we are a nation of laws and personal feelings about this guy aside shouldn't the law be followed?

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, but i think crazydave makes a pretty good argument on the guy being here 30 years. i think that should be factored, he's basically an american with no legal status. had his parents come over five years earlier he'd be a citizen.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

As long as he is still a Mexican national and never officially gave up that status then the treaty should still apply. I mean if an American lives in another country for 30 years but never gives up his citizenship does that mean that his status should be called to question?

16. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

He will probably end up as some Mexican folk hero now. :(

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the spirit of the law vs the letter of the law

the guy lives here, he knows his rights. that's the point. i don't think the law is there to protect people from being mistreated. i think its there for people to have an understanding or help because they are in a foreign country and not used to foreign law. the treaty doesn't give you exemption, it gives you help. can you honestly say that a guy who basically grew up here his entire life needs help because he came from mexico when he was three years old.

i mean yeah, technically he deserves the help, in reality he probably doesn't need it and understood everything up to a point as much as education allowed him to understand everything happening to him

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

The letter of the law though is all that matters in regard to treaty obligations. Whether this meets the spirit should be immaterial in whether TX should have followed the letter.

Maybe he needed that help, maybe he didn't. My understanding of the law and treaties is that it wasn't for the State of Texas to unilaterally decide he didn't and violate the treaty.

I think you and Crazydave are looking too much at Leal rather than the law itself.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i guess there is no harm in rick adhering to the law, as crazydave states even though the guy probably didn't need the help, its just stupid not to follow the law. the guy is gonna get killed anyway, what's the rush. i guess rick probably felt it would have ended up with him not getting killed but i don't think that's the purpose of the treaty.

20. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Screw the law. He's an admitted child rapist and murderer. He's less than an animal and we're all better off with him rotting in the ground.