1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uninsured Patients twice as likely to die of cancer in U.S.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thadeus, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

so you deny them. Find me any stat that says the UK or canada does a better job on cancer.

2. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

I've had the same phone i've been using the past 2 years. I don't have a text messenging plan, and i don't get HBO. So I'm sorry but you're not talking about me. My definition of essential living expenses are gas, food, personal hygiene, etc. And no I've never been to Hawaii.

I'm not sure TraderJorge, do you personally know anyone who have done any of the above and complain about not having medical insurance? I think you overgeneralize just a tad.

Worse than what? Having no medical insurance at all? I was taken off Medi-Cal when I turned 21.
    Your views, though expected, might be different if you were in a different financial situation than others.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

We still have to make sure we're not subsidizing low-success-rate, end-stage type treatment with high five- or six-figure costs. That's not meant to be a direct rebuttal to the original post, or even an argument against public option/universal care. I think we'll all just have to undertake some more complex cost-benefit analyses about our health care in the coming years. Sustained life-support of any kind may be come to seen as a luxury.

4. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

pointing out that healthcare is a scarce resource needs to be cited? alright dude.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What if they don't do all those things and still don't have enough money for health insurance?

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Please... Someone, anyone, come out from behind the mask..!

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

You are an idiot health care is costing Americans over 100$ a month.

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

After that you can find out how Candian's and British's have an average life spand longer than Americans and have found ways to give doctors raise for patience becoming healthier. It's also funny how we in America have been involved in this drug culture by docters issuing drugs over fully investingating the true ailment.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i think we should stop providing fire and police to people who don't pay for that either. if your house is on fire and you haven't paid your fire protection premium, tough ****. if you're being held a gunpoint, and you aren' up to date on your police protection payments, then you deserve that bullet to the brain.

i cannot fathom how people would not want to help other people who cannot afford healthcare. it's disgusting actually.

10. Steve_Francis_rules

I supposed it's never occurred to you that many middle class people can't get health insurance if their employer doesn't provide it because of pre-existing medical conditions?

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Huh? What part of universal vs not universal do you not understand?

12. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

You know nothing about the hard life living poor. Most poor people DON'T blow their money on stupid ****. Just shut the **** up already.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I'm on vacation right now, but I had a few minutes to browse the BBS, and here I find that T_J saying Americans could afford Health insurance if they stopped ordering HBO, spending money on lotto tickets and booze?

Priceless.

14. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

It is as good as the king ask why the starving people don't eat cake.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Or in this case, the jester.

16. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Havent you heard moe??

Its your fault that the small business you work for does not offer you medical benefits....its ALL ON YOU. :rolleyes:

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Wouldn't this be a good argument for nationalized health insurance? Everyone would pay for their healthcare though taxes right off the top, and they could use whatever is left over for their conspicuous consumption.

18. adoo

adoo Member

revisionist history on your part.

healthcare crisis was an issue of national import since the 1980s, a generation before the housing crisis.

Hilary Clinton was defeated by the Republican majority in Congress in her attempt to nationalize healthcare.

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Can health care insurance work more like auto insurance than it does now? Meaning, have it MANDATED that you lawfully MUST have insurance. Then shop around for the best priced private insurer? If there ARE decently priced private providers that is, which seems to be the big issue regardless of the insured or uninsured...along with quality of care for the price

I do think there are some people who look at health insurance as "a rip off" and choose not to get it, even if they could afford it. I did that like a dumbass in my youthful years at one of my first jobs. And only got it the 1st time cuz I worked in a more dangerous field. NEVER again though, after seeing upfront how useful it was to those that needed it (and some of the flaws...) So if there's more people like that out there, they need to get with the program. Though that doesnt take away much for the universal care issue.

If its possible to cut needless programs (DOUBTFUL that happens) to make room for wider health care I'm for it. What greater resource to invest in than the health of the people? The rich have maybe 5% more entitlement to their life than a poor man. Thats ONLY cuz they'd pay more into the system that saves the poor man's life. Death strikes everyone the same. But if outside of my control I'm between jobs, and within that time my family member is dying and the facility turns me away, I WILL go John Q on their ass. Better to just make a program that can accomodate this. NOT for the "irresponsible", but for the unfortunate

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

We should probably also let the poor sell off vital internal organs to wealthy people who can afford said organs for transplant needs. Then the poor could go buy some more malt liquor, flat screen TVs, and video games.

Perhaps we could start a deregulated futures market for organs!