1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uniform changes....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2015.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

You sound like you are going to have something to complain about no matter what happens. Don’t get me wrong, I hate them right now, I just want anything positive. But goodness dude, would it help to pick a different team? Although I’m sure that one’s owner is probably racist on your scale too. But at least you could call the new one a real franchise..

bigdaddy and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even a blind loyal fan should recognize that what the Texans did with Culley and Lovie was embarrassing and they deserve to be called out on it. Not because they were fired for being incompetent coaches, which they were, but because they were explicitly hired both to check a box AND to fail.

And I was once declared by this BBS to be “working for the Texans”… when they do stupid ****, they deserve to be called out on it.

3. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

So let me get this straight, you’re telling me they paid out more than 35 million guaranteed to two coaches to fail? I swear I don’t get this take.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You do know they don’t necessarily get all their contract money… and yes, they did hire them to fail.

And where have you been? This is far from being “my” take… when they literally hire two coaches that nobody ever had on their radar, and both of them predictably fail… AND they decide to move on after 1 year, what do you think their intention was?

5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

And just to play devil’s advocate, if Culley and lovie were white this would not be a problem? Just dumb by itself?

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It would still be a problem… much like the Broncos have been criticized for their coaching hires/fires… but them being minorities magnifies the problem.

Lovie was solely hired last year because of fear of the Flores lawsuit… when in many ways, what actually happened could end up strengthening the lawsuit.

Kemahkeith and rhino17 like this.
  7. CVcrew

I don’t care whose take it is, it’s ludicrous. I wish they’d hire me for one year 15-20 million guaranteed to fail. I’d be singing their praises for the opportunity I can assure you.

And let’s not pretend like these coaches had nothing to do with their own demise.

#307 CVcrew, Jan 29, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They should never have been candidates to begin with. They predictably failed.

If you like being the fall guy or the patsy, I suppose those opportunities would suit you.

liveguy likes this.
  9. CrazyJoeDavola

It's fascinating. Such is the foul stench of the Texans first 20 years that it makes many a Houston football yearn for the only slightly more palatable odor that was the Oilers. Take away away the 2 conference finals they made in the late 70s, the Oilers first 20 years look earily similar to the Texans first 20 tears. Lots of bad teams and bad records. Many underachieving teams. For every Lad Herzeg mooning a wedding party you have a Bill OBrien telling fans to **** off.

You don't see Baltimore Raven fans clamoring for management to remake the team into the image of the Baltimore Colts. Point is, once (or if I guess) the Texans finally achieve the level of success Houston football fans have been seeking for the last 50 years, only then will most let go of the Oilers history and the fondness of their colors.

What an incredibly low bar the Texans have had ...............

Hey Now! likes this.
  10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Basically it boils down to this:

Most teams have made bad hires in bad situations, but if you hire a black coach in that bad situation you are racist.

if you are in a bad situation you need to hire a white coach. If you are in a good situation and hire a white coach you are probably racist as well unless we like you.

Rudyc281, Zen Tabak and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or how about you don’t hire minority coaches that nobody else would hire (i.e. - unqualified).. because you think that will make it easier to fire them.

This isn’t that complicated.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think the point is that most people didn't see the outrage that the 49ers faced when they did the same thing to Tomsula and Kelly, despite the same combined record over those two seasons.

I can see both sides of the argument, for what it's worth. I don't think it was intentionally racist. I just think Cal is a moron and clearly only cares about his pocket books, which once again, brings us back to.... these jersey changes?

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It was unintentional…. But still deserved all the heat.

And yes, when you hire fall guys that are minorities, you’ll get more heat. I also don’t believe Chip Kelly was hired to be a fall guy…. Tomsula maybe.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

I think we need to talk about the Texans and black vs white coaches for a few more weeks.

15. liveguy

liveguy Member

Direct two coaches to suck and then fire them back to back for doing what you directed them to do…SUCK....yes; to many, it might appear that way.

Luckily DeMeco made himself available to save them from themselves.

Anyway….we need to get over that.

A highly qualified, young, worthy coach with fresh ideas is finally in tow.

People gotta let it go and move on at this point.

16. CVcrew

pretty sure that suck was all their own doing, their own ineptitude…

Culley = set up to fail
    Lovie = set up to fail
    Demeco = franchise savior

what changed? We deem one guy to be better? That’s all?

houstonstime, Rudyc281 and justtxyank like this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Anyways, about those uniforms.

I noticed Cal used H-Town in his statement, which struck me as odd.

As did Caserio's crazy blue shirt.

Were they hints?

18. liveguy

liveguy Member

Hoping they incorporate powder blue dominant hue into the mix somehow.

Power Blue, Navy, Red and White accents.

Bring back them Oilers colors.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Neither coach was fired for W/L record and neither coach was told to suck or to lose (obviously lol).

Nobody forced David Culley to admit to not being able to keep track of who was active on gameday or down and distance situations, etc. Nobody forced Lovie Smith to refuse to adjust the defense he was running.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nobody forced the Texans to offer two unqualified candidates a head coach position.