1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uniform changes....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2015.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Seen these on Twitter if the new uniforms look like this I just might be done smh

2. SuraGotMadHops

Unless the franchise actually reacquires or comes to an agreement with the Adams fam to obtain the Oilers brand and actually BE the Oilers again, then I don't care much for the Texans trying to emulate the Oiler color scheme. Stick with the current Texans colors but freshen up the look, be who you are, dont be the knockoff Oilers.

CrazyJoeDavola and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

As long as Cal doesn’t have the so-called Columbia blue, he can have the color scheme. Will only need a slight adjustment.

4. SuraGotMadHops

Dont want the color scheme, it will look cheesy like the Texans are the Great Value Oilers.

Rudyc281 and RocketJedi like this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There are no Oilers out there or Columbia blue team... thus it can't be a knockoff.

I would go ahead and prepare your body for the fact that they're going to rebrand to be as close to those colors.

And "be who you are"... what is that exactly? A franchise that has done nothing of note in over 20 years, has an idiot and oblviously racist owner, and has zero relevance outside Harris county on a national level?

I don't think anybody will miss the Texans original colors, especially if/when they have legitimate success after the rebrand... but then again, they could just continue to fail spectacularly.

Will be curious if they have to re-do the NRG seats, as its completely based on the current scheme. Leave it to the genius' on Kirby to have overlooked that small detail (which gets ever more obvious when there's a **** ton of empty seats because the team is awful).

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Thats a Bingo

Light Blue will absolutely be part of the color scheme. That is what I am most certain about concerning the new uniforms.

7. SuraGotMadHops

Sure it can, it doesn't have to actively exist to be a knockoff. It will be sorry knockoff of what once existed and it is going to be so phony and so pathetic.

No argument regarding Cal's IQ, but what is your basis for calling him "obviously racist"...because he fired Lovie who sucked ass as a head coach? Isn't Demeco the leading candidate for the coaching spot? He's black right?

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Read it again... I said "obliviously racist".

What they did the last two years they seemingly didn't know what sort of backlash it would cause. They double down'd last year on that short-sighted oblivious decision making and they got what they deserved in terms of criticism.

As far as the uniform decision making goes... old Oilers gear sells just as well in the city of Houston (if not better) than current Texans gear sells. I don't think they're going to lose on this decision.

9. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

What if they are actually reacquiring the Oilers branding and rebranding to the Oilers and they're just keeping it hush hush for now That would be the ultimate great surprise! :)

10. SuraGotMadHops

Obliviously racist? Is that such a thing? Racism is a (faulty) belief system, if you are unknowingly racist, are you even racist?

You're not really understanding my point about going Oiler colors on the new unis, I never said it wouldn't sell or be successful or popular, I just think it's sorry for a completely different franchise to chase the scheme of a completely different franchise from the past. I personally, wouldn't like it.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If you are unaware of the ramifications of your actions as it pertains to minorities... and your actions have direct consequences on perpetuating the disparity in legitimate opportunities for minorities... yes, I consider you to be part of the problem.

Calling the Texans an actual "franchise" is a bit of a stretch. Yes, a normal franchise wouldn't be needing to such a rebrand of this level... but we all know the Texans are not a normal franchise. They're the worst/most irrelevant franchise in all of professional sports.... dating back to their inception. That's how bad they've fallen.

rhino17 likes this.
  12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Why? What are these fond memories of the Oilers? Being the victim of the biggest comeback in playoff history? Never sniffing a Super Bowl since the late 70's? Perpetually being disappointed? Destroying the aesthetics of the Astrodome for Bud Adams? Leaving town and taking all of the history with them? What is it about that piece of s*** franchise and family that makes people so fond? F*** them.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

People outside of Houston also want the brand back in Houston the same way they want the Sonics back in Seattle. People have attached that logo, colors and name to the city of Houston

macho GRANDE, MadMax, rhino17 and 3 others like this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Before Bud Adams became a full blown ass-hat, they owned the city of Houston unlike any sports team has ever owned any city, period.... enough to the point where it was that noticeable/notable on a national level.

The Rockets/Astros, despite their championships still didn't reach that peak. Granted, Houston has a lot more people now and it would be virtually impossible for any city to universally get that much behind a team ever again.

But combine what Houston was in the 70's... a growing transplant population of fans (new and old) looking for anything to hold on to... and just how impactful those teams, with those personalities, were... it was the perfect storm of events.

15. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

Blah blah blah

macho GRANDE likes this.
  16. leroy

I get that. We were one of those transplants...moving here from Philadelphia in 1980. But all I remember is heartache and pain...with some showmanship for the sake of showmanship thrown in. They were a circus sideshow more than they were a football team. Yeah, it was fun to see the stories of Jerry Glanville leaving tickets for Elvis and the run-n-shoot was somewhat successful there for a minute. But then I remember being up 35-3 in the 3rd quarter of a playoff game. I remember going 1-15. I remember the coaches getting into a fight on the sideline (I was at that game). I remember what they did to the Astrodome...only to abandon it less than a decade later, leaving the city with the bill for it.

If you have something to say, say it.

17. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Too big of a story to keep under wraps

macho GRANDE and Two Sandwiches like this.
  18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This might have been addressed already, but in 2023 is there a benefit to keeping the "draft" version of wherever they are now under wraps from the general public? In other words, why not just show some glimpses... that way they can know what reaction is.

I feel like the reaction out of any "private screening" will be positive. Those guys feel "special" in the first place getting that exclusive look. The court of public opinion could be way different.

Caesar likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm not really talking about the Glanville or Pardee era... and yes, Bud Adams demanding renovations and being a miserable fool is part of the douchery that led to Houston kicking him (and his team) out.

But, it seems that the true Luv ya Blue era pre-dated your arrival. If so, you'd have seen that despite heartache/pain... you still had 70,000 fans packing it in to welcome a team home that had just LOST.

Has anything ever happened like that elsewhere since? Will anything ever like that happen again? That was the love affair that sustained the Oilers fandom in Houston throughout all the rest of the less successful (and painful) years that you describe, until Adams' idiocy had reached enough.

macho GRANDE, MadMax and kdchilds like this.
  20. leroy

Luv Ya Blue was well into the 80's and early 90's. No, I wasn't around (and even if I was, was too young) to know the semi-successes of the late 70's, That was over 40 years ago, though. The many things that happened since is more than enough to erase the good feelings of that time they made 2 successive AFC Championship games (and lost).

Granted, this is my opinion and I get people still pine for the days of the Oilers. Ever since I got here, I've been a fan of the teams with "HOUSTON" in their names and on their jerseys. If they want to leave, then f*** every bit of them.