1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Uniform changes....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 25, 2015.

1. leroy

leroy Member

I'll never understand why people are so nostalgic about the Oilers. I liked the color scheme and all but it's still a franchise that abandoned this town, leaving us with the rotting corpse of the Astrodome.

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

I think it's more like what happened with the Sonics. Everyone connects it to Seattle and wants that team back there. No one thinks of Tennessee when they think the Oilers. So you got a dull lifeless Texans brand that has not won over a large portion of fans that still want their old team back and you end up with identity issues. Seattle would go through the same thing if they brought a new team there and it wasn't the SuperSonics.
    The city hates Bud. He abandoned the city and STOLE the Oilers brand from the city. So blaming the brand is not what people here do. The Oilers brand is still and will always be connected to Houston. Tennessee didn't make it theirs when they had the chance so it's now just sort of in purgatory like the Sonics and a lot of people miss both those brands and want to see them return to their rightful cities. The Oilers logo and colors and uniform design is as classic as the Steelers, Packers and Cowgirls.

3. Nick

Nick Member

Houston didn’t want Bud Adams anymore. He was that toxic. He ended up making a bad business decision by leaving. I hear they’re trying to build another stadium there now… good luck, but they’re in a market that has a distinct limit as to how profitable they can be and how much the franchise value can continue to grow.

And you’re basically defining nostalgia when you’re asking why it’s there. People are nostalgic for a variety of things… most being very superficial. It doesn’t have to have some deep-rooted religious connection. Also, given the age range of when this site came online, when the Rockets won their titles, and when the internet basically was invented… a lot of posters here grew up with the Oilers and they owned the city for two separate occasions when the other pro sports teams were still figuring stuff out.

4. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really do think the NFL should get involved not by bullying the Adams family but man that brand should be here in Houston. While this is a topic of discussion we need to get a machine behind to possibly make it happen.

macho GRANDE and Caesar like this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

OKC was willing to give up past history if I recall. That’s the reason the SuperSonics name stayed in Seattle. Amy Adams is being petty. Houston doesn’t care about past history, as far as stats, we just want the name.

kdchilds likes this.
  6. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

Do you think he regretted the from Houston? And I wonder if is family deep down wished the team was still here in Houston.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

I hope they do.

MadMax and kdchilds like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Member

Money talks and bullshit walks.

Adams was a hefty combination of both. At the time of the Oilers leaving, there was a severe miscalculation of how NFL teams were going to be valued and where the real money was going to be (TV deals were on the cusp of exploding). Teams thought they had to solely have new stadiums to be profitable. That turned out to be only a small part of it.

If Adams was anywhere close to business savvy and was able to actually build relationships in a city he called home for over 50 years, he would have had no problem eventually getting a new stadium as all the other Houston teams were able to do. The fact that he had zero friends in Houston leadership is pretty telling.

In the end, owning an NFL team is a license to print money… so I doubt they’re struggling to make ends meet in Nashville. But despite having success in recent years and selling out games consistently, they remain #27 in overall franchise value. Seeing how the Rams went from the low 20’s to #3 just by moving to LA says all you need to know about how market size determines franchise value. The Texans will always hover between #7-#11 depending on how good the team is because Houston is the #8 media market in the nation.

9. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

Just do a ownership swap with Amy and she can rebrand as the Oilers lol :D

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Just ran across this looking around Google, I think it’s a pretty realistic transition to make. Makes Red the primary color, complimented with Houston Blue. Simple but distinguished. This is a “Houston” uniform. Pair it with the Red helmets, white pants with a blue stripe.

[​IMG]

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

blue helmet, white facemask
    [​IMG]

Rudyc281 and rhino17 like this.
  12. CrazyJoeDavola

I can live with this. But no way should Columbia Blue be the dominant color. That would be very cuck.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Can't tell if that's red or dark pink

Rudyc281 and Caesar like this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

It very much reminds me of the Bills.

Rudyc281 and desihooper like this.
  15. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Helmet and jersey should not be the same color. That rarely works unless its white on white. Current texans home unis suffer from the same issue. Blue on blue. The red/red combo this year wasn't that great either.

J.R., Rudyc281 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Member

It's funny, because I thought the red/red was the best the Texans have ever looked in their existence...from a uniform standpoint.

BigM, red5rocket and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes, Adams had to regret having to leave Houston. Ego-hit. The money Bob McNair got EVERYTHING Bud wanted. Plus, the Houston market is MUCH larger than Nashville.

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

This doesn’t sound right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just off the top of my head. Seems pretty common.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  19. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

I did say rarely. Minny, Chicago and the "Redskins" are easily exceptions and are beauties. Their road unis look even better.

Philly, Denver, Seattle, Jets, Bmore, Tennessee, Atl, all look pedestrian at best....to me. I guess I just prefer the contrast of breaking up the colors throughout the uniform.

To each their own......

TheFreak likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Philly: green lids, green tops, white pants, has always looked sharp to me.

MadMax likes this.