1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unheralded Parsons is humming now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MambaJoe, Dec 18, 2012.

1. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Nice interesting article about Parsons written by Fran... Its amazing how much he has improved over the summer and taken the role of leadership for this young team. Parsons is a special player and hopefully, he will continue to improve each and every year.

Last year he was known as a defensive player that does the dirty work on the offensive end like diving for loose ball, tip in etc... He improved his game this summer and he is an offensive threat. I hope Lin would work as hard as Parsons over the summer and also improve his jumper and make it a weapon in his offensive arsenal. Any NBA players can improve their jumper if they just work hard on it.

The way Parsons talked about his jump shot last year reminds me of how Tyreke Evans jumper. Always off balance, fading way for no reason, and inconsistent release. I never understand how the ROY like Evans has gotten worse each year since his rookie season.....

Lock if posted

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/12/18/unheralded-parsons-is-humming-now/

2. liunatic

liunatic Member

What you are saying is pretty unfair to Lin and everyone that has tried working on their jumpshot. There are a variety of factors that contribute to this. There are tons of players that can hit many shots in a row in practice, but it simply is too difficult to project how much improvement will transfer over to a game. Some people are lucky enough to have what they practice transfer over into a game.

I can tell you for a fact, even from personal experience, it took me approximately 3 years of practicing a three point shot until I could consistently rely on it, even though I could hit 10 in a row in practice. Game time is simply not the same as practice.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Never heard of him.

1 person likes this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Dropped 30+ on the knicks? Never heard of him.

5. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Parsons is soooo good. Hope he doesnt demand a huge contract next? year. Great leader, best glue guy/scorer.

6. VBG

VBG Member

I think he can be a similar player to Iggy (worse athleticism but better shooter). Iggy/Deng type player.

He's awesome. 2nd best player in his draft class.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Don't forget best looking guy in the league

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You can't teach 6'10" that can move laterally. Parsons has more upside than Iggy.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

A great post, great read. But OP just couldn't resist inserting the "troll pill".

sigh

InB4LOFs

10. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

You can say its unfair if you want but I can guarantee you that Lin did not work as hard as Parsons did on their jumper over the off season. Yes I know shooting in practice is totally different from shooting in games.

But when you're practicing your shots and have a good shooting form and release down, your shots would eventually fall. I'm not saying that Lin didn't work on his jumper but I said that this gives hope for Lin to improve his jumper.

With Lin, its all about his confidence in his jumpers and I know he does not have any confidence in it. But if he worked incredibly hard on his jumpers and feels comfortable with his shooting form, then he would have a lot more confidence in his shots. Plus, Im not talking about only 3 point shots but just FGs in general.

At the end, Lin needs to continue to work hard on his jumper if he wants to be successful because teams would just back off of him and make him shoot. Lin has a better shooting form than Parsons did last year. Parsons shooting form last season was pretty bad and inconsistent. But with hard work, you can improve on your weaknesses.

So far this season, Lin hasn't really improve on any of his weaknesses and I was really looking forward to see him improve as a player. Though is turnover rate is a little better but he is still shaky going left, shaky ball handler and his shots are incredibly streaky. A lot of times, when left wide open, Lin is still missing shots after shots. That's why I said that if Lin would work incredibly hard on his weaknesses over the off-season, he will be a really good player.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I like Deng-Tayshaun Prince comparisons for Parsons. His game's not fit to be a first (or second on a contender) option, but he does a lot of other things that don't show up in the stat sheet to make up for it.

Not ready to call him the 2nd best just yet. I want to see how Leonard plays when he returns. Definitely 3rd best though.

12. teebone21

teebone21 Member

He needs to work on that jumper more' its been ugly last few games

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Kemba is playing pretty well too. As well as Klay Thompson. But you could make an argument for Chandler being in that group.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

After that knee injury wasn't he working on walking this summer?

1 person likes this.
  15. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

geezus, do you even read?

there's a thread about how he's still has at least 2 more years with a rockets

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

at less than 1 million per season.....and he aint even mad!

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Let me correct you.

Like this:

NEVAH HEARD OF'IM!

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

His jump shot is so flat. Iunno how he's shooting so well this season

19. roxxy

roxxy Member

This is false. Stats disagree with you also. I don't want to find all the numbers because I am lazy. but they are all available at BBall Reference & synergy if you care to look. Here are improvements just off the top of my head that I have seen thus far comparing last year to this year. His TOR rate is a lot better. His FG% at the rim is better. His passing stats are better his passing all in all is better. No look passes, bounce passes in traffic all of that he never did last year. His defense is a lot better. His scoring as the PNR ball handler is better. His spot up shooting is better (believe it or not). His transition game is better. His ability to move off the ball is better also, (he never cut last year) & I have seen him cut this year a few times.

I would also add that his ball handling is better than last year but still can improve & his left hand is better than last year as well but still can improve also.

Even if you disagree with me on everything, you can't argue with his defense it has been really good much better than last year. In fact it has been the most consistent aspect of his game.

So your initial statement that he hasn't improved on any of his weaknesses is false.

20. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

After Lin recovered from his knee injury, he wanted to play on the USA Select team so he can practice against some of the best players in the USA Men's team but he couldn't because of his contract situation.

It wasn't like Lin was injured and was rehabbing his knee the entire summer. He was on that Asian tour where he went to Taiwan..