1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Under most circumstances, Dwight Howard should never have more post ups than D-Mo.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Swishh

Swishh Member

Dwight Howard is an average (perhaps slightly above average) post up player, we all know that. D-Mo has some of the best post up moves in the entire league. Most games, D-Mo should be the one who's getting the touches down low.

Dwight should primarily be running the pick and roll, with the occasional post up (which he is capable of making).

Dwight should put his ego to the side and allow this to happen. He has a lot of mileage on those knees and back, and is starting to decline. It would be best for the team IMO.

Why hasn't this happened yet?

1 person likes this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

D-Mo really is looking like he should be our #2 option. He's been really rock solid offensively for a good while now.

Howard, on the other hand, is just so much better at impacting the game via defense and rebounding. I wish he'd embrace that. If Dwight played the role of Ben Wallace 2.0 here I think the Rockets would be that much more dominant.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yep, hopefully Dwight gets on board with this, it would only make the team even better.

DD

4. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

yep, this has been beaten to death in countless other threads, but I completely agree. Today, I would have liked to see DMo on Lopez and Howard on Plumlee, just because DMo would contest the outside shots better than Howard. I also believe that had we played DMo instead of TJones last year against the Blazers, we would have done a much better job of stopping the Aldridge/Lopez pairing.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree it has been beaten to death but it's still relevant. I said this in another thread why is Josh Smith already smart enough to bench himself and stop himself from taking too many long shots and Dwight insists on posting up still. He's a PNR guy who doesn't want to PNR it's so weird.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not to mention it would make him look and perform better too.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

^^^^

Having said that...Dwight is dead set on being a post up threat. Sadly...he won't embrace the pick and roll that would make him an absolute force.

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Most of the time the best thing Dwight's post ups bring to the team are fouls.

As much as I agree that Dmo should be getting the majority of our post ups, it can't be ignored how important drawing fouls is for our offense. If teams are wasting their fouls on Dwight inside it just makes it that much easier for Harden specifically, but the team as a whole to get easy points at the line.

That's not to say there aren't certain matchups where Dwight can and should take advantage, I just think the next step we need to take to improve is to recognize the games where Dmo should take precedence over Dwight.

9. Swishh

Swishh Member

Yes, but Dwight still does multiple pick n rolls throughout the game. It's just that, Harden doesn't always feed and either drives it to the rim himself, or kicks it out to a shooter.

10. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

We have all said this before leave PnR to Dwight and Post ups to Dmo don't know why we don't run the pick n roll.

11. mcgrady33090

mcgrady33090 Member

Depends on matchup, i doubt Dmo can eat up Robin Lopez the way Dwight did last year playoff.

Remember game 2, how Dwight just dominated, score first 10 or 12 points.

If Dwight against Marc(hell no), Dwight against Jordan( maybe), Dwight against Tiago, (yes), Dwight against Lopez, (Hell yea), Dwight against Bogut (maybe), Dwight against Adams( yes), Dwight against Chandler ( Yes)

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree it has been beaten to death but it's still relevant. I said this in another thread why is Josh Smith already smart enough to bench himself and stop himself from taking too many long shots and Dwight insists on posting up still. He's a PNR guy who doesn't want to PNR it's so weird.

13. Possum

Possum Member

The only thing I disagree with is that Howard is slightly above average in the low post. He is not slightly above average in the post. He's trash in the post and doesn't have any more business calling for the ball there than josh smith has shooting threes from the top of the key. Unless Howard has his defender backed under the backboard he should never get another entry pass again.

14. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

assuming this is the best dwight can do then dmo should definitley get the most post ups. but i dont believe dwight is declinging this bad. his body could just be taking forever to heal after all the years and since his team doesnt need to go 20/10 every game he's purposely getting himself back into form slower, though i personally think he should speed things up just a bit.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Think people are forgetting Dwight is still hurt. He's not normally this bad at his post ups. Granted he's no Dmo but he usually does not post up this bad.

1 person likes this.
  16. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Tell us something we don't know.

17. kemah

kemah Member

Wow. Another post about how great Dmo is and how much Howard sucks.

The same Dmo that couldn't make a shot for over two years and was considered a bust. Starts looking like he can maybe do something so lets get rid of our DPOY and future HOF'er. Brilliant yahoos we have here I am seeing.

18. Swishh

Swishh Member

When did I even mention anything like that? Hint : I didn't.

I don't think Howard sucks, its just that, he is no longer the Orlando Dwight. D-Mo is a superior post up player, so he should be getting more touches in the post than Dwight. What's so hard to understand about that?

19. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Only that Dmo is playing a PF when both Dwight and him are on the floor together. That means Howard plays nearer to the basket and thus is learning to play post up so that by the end of the year and playoffs he may have it down. Kinda like when Dmo was sucking and couldn't make a basket for over 2 years we stuck it out until he had it down. Now you want Dmo to post up and do what with the DPOY who gives us the best team defensive rating in the league when he is on the floor and below average when he sits.

Or we can try to learn to play them together and then Dmo moves into the post when Howard sits sounds better to me. Of course it is just an idea.

20. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Dwight is setting a ton of picks lately actually. He's not getting the ball when he rolls though.