1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Under Acheiving Players: High Expectations

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, May 28, 2010.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

After watching Vince Carter . . . have a less than spectacular series.
    I wonder, What players do you feel totally underperformed for their career.

Esp the ones you thought you say something in.

I know I expect even more out of Horry and Cassel
    They both had great careers but . .. I thought they were even more special than that!

Rocket River

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

D. Langhi
    B. Nachbar
    V. Spanoulis
    V. Wafer

DD

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Funny, but let's review:

D. Langhi - yeah, I thought he would play - swing and a miss
    B. Nachbar - Said he would be a rotational player - solid single.
    V. Span - Mythical in belief vs. what I said....I hated Rafer, and thought he should have been playing to FIND OUT, if he could be part of the future -INC.
    V. Wafer - liked him for the right price - solid single.

3 out of 4 baby.

As for the op's question......Marcus Fizer for me...had all the tools and none of the work ethic necessary.

DD

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Derrick Coleman
    Rasheed Wallace (good players, both of them were)
    Kenny Anderson (I think he could've done more in his career)
    Stephon Marbury (he had the talent to be a top notch point guard, if he could control his ego).
    Roy Tarpley
    Christian Laettner
    Nick Van Exel (he could've made LA greater, if his attitude was better)
    Pervis Ellison

5. cxwcxw

cxwcxw Contributing Member

Steve Francis
    Antoine Walker
    Shareef Abdur-Rahim

6. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Yao Ming. I thought he would take the Rockets to the 2nd round multiple times, but serious injuries have plagued him for half his career.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

How can V-Spam be graded incomplete, he will most likely never come back to the NBA.

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Tracy McGrady.

9. Rocket 914

Rocket 914 Member

Darko Milicic
    looked like he had so much potential - still hoping he could break out but doesn't seem likely anymore

Rasheed Wallace -
    more athletic than Duncan
    better shooter than Webber
    better post up game than Garnett
    but produced way less than any of the above

Nick Van Exel
    Incredible shotmaker, nifty ballhandler, plus a great post up game
    although he was a 2nd rounder, watching him play made me wonder why he didn't accomplish much more

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Wow how did this take so long to get mentioned? His first year in Houston Red, I thought he was as good or better than Kobe at the time.

11. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

I don't think that, apart from that Toronto fiasco, Vince Carter really underperformed at all.

He was drafted 5th overall behind such all time greats as Michael Olowokandi, Mike Bibby, Raef LaFrenz and Antwan Jamison. Nobody really expected him to become anything else than a flashy, scoring 2-guard.

He just doesn't seem to have the drive and the mental makeup to be the best of all time. He might have been one of the more physically talented guys but that is just one part of the puzzle.

People seem to want their teams to get the most physically talented guys [cough*]Hassan Whiteside[/cough*] and then when they "underperform", they want to crucify them. Very logical.

1 person likes this.
  12. bongo33

bongo33 Member

Uh-oh... You just set off the Tinman alarm... :eek:

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That's when the great mind of DM comes in

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL I think Tinman only visits this site to post articles about Dream and to hate on Tmac...even if he isn't on the team anymore :grin:

Anyway back on topic, based purely on ability I think the most dissapointing of players really got to be Carter and Rasheed Wallace. Both of them were blessed with enough talent to give both Jordan and Duncan a run for their money as greatest PF and SG, however they lack even half of the mental toughness Duncan and esp. Jordan have. Of course that's a really big IF though because Jordan and Duncan's mental toughness and drive is the biggest reason why their the GOAT SG and PF on the first place.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't think anyone had high expectations of him, but for a top pick, Bargnani sure is underachieving.

16. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

I'll go a little further down the list and list some former lottery picks 2000-2007:

Sure, most of them were not supposed to be all-stars but some of them didn't manage to contribute absolutely anything in the NBA:

William Avery
    Kedrick Brown
    Rodney White
    Marcus Fizer
    Jerome Moiso
    Courtney Alexander
    Nikolas Tskitisvili
    Dajuan Wagner
    Marcus Haislip
    Luke Jackson
    Yaroslav Korolev
    Acie Law

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

Vince Carter just didn't live up to the hype after people started comparing him to Michael Jordan. He was picked 5th and in Toronto he proved that it was a good pick.

For me I will say so far Michael Beasley. He's young so he has time but right now it doesn't look too good. He has been solid in the regular season but I thought he would be better than this.

18. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Don't get me wrong, most of these guys had good NBA careers with multiple All-star appearance. Even Pervis Ellison was having a decent NBA career, pre-injury and a 20-10 player. Worth a first pick, still arguable. But in basketball, Louisville has been somewhat of a bust factory, most of their high draft picks have been disappointing in the NBA with lone expectation being . . . Wes Unseld.

19. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

What no mention of Rashard Lewis, if I paid a guy 20M he better dominate a game and not be a 14ppg role player.

20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Rashard Lewis is wild card, because I think Orlando simply overpaid him. Mainly, the market caused that, if it were any other year, he would not have gotten that kind of money. People knew his talent was not worth that much. The Magic are like the Clippers with better luck and more success . . .