1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unconfirmed Rumor......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FranchiseCat, Sep 12, 2000.

1. Gary Coleman

Gary Coleman New Member

hey i forgot to remind you...
    Gary Coleman = Quality Posts

------------------
    ..wait....what?

2. BoyhoodDream

BoyhoodDream Member

I could never and I still can't imagine Pippen in a Rocket uniform, but it happened.

------------------

3. Thanos

Thanos Member

Run off the Board? NEVER.

off a topic? whenever i feel like it.

That being said, i usually distrust corporate sharks who make six figures per year. It´s a healhty habit that has proven to be quite useful in the past [​IMG]

Oh, and i specially distrust execs from other teams too [​IMG]

Sorry if i was a bit harsh.

Oh, about this Gary Coleman freak, here´s my sage advice: Let´s ignore him and maybe he´ll go away... but then again, maybe not. One way or another, his foolishness isn´t worth a reply.

------------------
    "The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It´s Heaven and Hell!"

[This message has been edited by Thanos (edited September 13, 2000).]

4. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

>>Gary OldMAN<<

Didn't you say something to me about posting quality post?????

------------------

5. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

OK, I'm only going to say this once:

Webber is going back to Golden State for Danny Fortson, Mookie Blaylock, and Chris Mills.

It's a done deal, I tell you! [​IMG]

------------------

6. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Gary Coleman = virgin suicide

I'm on to you, vs.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

Dog lover here....cats beware.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

At this time last year, Orlando looked like the WORST team in the NBA by far. No one spoke a word of going there. And both Hill and McGrady did. Explain how.

Also, Webber was interviewed by an NY radio station for that interview. Do you honestly think that when they (Knicks fans) ask him if he would like to play for the Knicks, that he would outright say no chance? I feel like that was more just common courtesy, as was him saying how much he loved Sacramento. Don't you remember Grant Hill saying the SAME things about Detroit? We are one of the top young teams in the NBA. We are on the rise, and have a coach/organization that is loved around the league. For a guy like Webber, Houston is a place where he would be a championship contender, have a great coach, play with a young exciting team, AND get the max. The Rockets can pay him as much as ANY other team too so don't worry about the cap. While it is still very unlikely Webber becomes a Rocket, you don't KNOW anything at all at this point. It is completely illogical to say he WILL do something, or WILL NOT do something else. Give me a link to one article that spoke of Hill and McGrady to Orlando a year before. Penny Hardaway to Phoenix. Quitten to Houston. These player/team combinations were never even DREAMED about as being realistic a year before free agency started. Nothing is certain at this point. Nothing.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, when Hakeem retires it doesn't become cap space, only what is under the cap.

From the numbers I've looked at, it'll be VERY hard to: A.) Max out Mo B.) Give Shandon his big contract THIS year (say like 7 mill) We still have picks to take into consideraton. It would help a bunch if Shandon doesn't opt out, but there's no guarantee.

As for the thought of signing Mo and Webber, not happening. Webber, because he's a veteran will be maxed out at 12 mill, rather than 9. Personally, if Mo goes something like 18-9 with serviceable D, and is on good terms with Francis, I'd rather resign him than add Webber, because that's one more year of change. But, Mo has to go 18-9. first [​IMG]

I think someone said something about us being 20 mill under the cap if we got rid of Walt and Co. in addition to Hakeem's retirement. While that's probably true, or at least close, it will be near IMPOSSIBLE for us to do that for people in their last years.

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

9. Swopa

That would be me. And I also opined that Houston wouldn't be able to dump those contracts:
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/008586.html

------------------

10. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

All you hear in NYC about Webber is that he and his best buddy Spree are about to be reunited next year or at the end of this year.

It makes perfect since to me that Webber ends up in NY. First, Ewing will be gone so they need Webber. Second, Webber still says Spree is his best buddy. Third, Webber still puts Spree's number on his shoes. And finally, Webber is single. No offense to Houston, but night life in the Big Apple with another single buddy who is just as rich as you are??? NYC rules. No doubt. I don't think Houston can hang with all that.

Webber has stated he wants to play in NYC PUBLICLY. Big difference from a rumor.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

11. Swopa

Yes, but Webber's public comments aren't much more reliable than a Vecsey rumor. [​IMG] I mean, he made a flurry of comments around the same time that (1) he'd love to play in New York, (2) his comments about playing in New York were exaggerated, (3) he'd love to play in Detroit, (4) he could never play in Detroit, (5) he loved Sacramento, (6) he wasn't happy with the direction in Sacramento ...

Let's be honest here. Webber knows exactly what he's doing -- promoting his availability as best he can, telling each suitor/city what they want to hear.

Sure, he wants to play with his buddies, Spree or otherwise. And he'd love to play in a party-friendly town like NYC. And he would prefer to win. But he also wants to get paid. And if you think he'll come to NY for the exception just to play with Spree, you're dreaming. (Doesn't the NY media think they'll get every big-name player? I guess landing Sammy Sosa and Grant Hill has made them spoiled. [​IMG] )

The only rule I can offer to anyone following Webber is this: Never underestimate his ego. It remains to be seen how that ego will manifest itself in which team he winds up with. But the desire to be salivated over by everyone, and paid a maximum salary, will definitely be major factors in the chase.

------------------

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Almu,

Read my post. NBAtalk or another site ran something on what Webber said just a few weeks ago. It was a NY radio station with NY fans asking Webber if he would be interested in coming to the Knicks. Unless you are a complete idiot, you say yes, if anything as a measure of common courtesy. Notice he's also said he loved Sacramento, his home town of Detroit, etc...

Smart money says Webber doesn't come here. But, it is a possibility, and I would go as far to say that the chance of him coming here is as or more likely than that of him going to the Knicks. Just my opinion though, and of course I could be wrong. Just right now, I seriously doubt him going to either NY or Houston. But both, especially Houston who will already have the cap room, still are in the game.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I have a question for you. What if we sign Webber to the max and then Mo wants to stay in Houston also and he is willing to play for
    less money here. What would you do with Anderson?

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If I understand it correctly, we would be about 20 million dollars under the cap after Hakeem is retired and if we get rid of Walt's, Rogers', Drew's, Thomas' and Bullard's contract. Then we could sign Webber for the max (about 12 million?), Taylor for about 7 million per year and use the measly rest to sign a few role players. If Anderson does not opt out, he will be under contract for another year and the year after that, we can resign him for any amount and could also give him a 7 million contract. Aelliott or Heypartner or other cap experts, is that a possible scenario??????

15. FranchiseCat

FranchiseCat Member

>>Lil Francis<<

"I have a question for you. What if we sign Webber to the max and then Mo wants to stay in Houston also and he is willing to play for
    less money here. What would you do with Anderson?"

That's easy......

1 - Francis/Moochie
    2 - Shandon/Cuttino
    3 - MO/Walt/Langhi
    4 - Webb/Mo/KT
    5 - Cato/Webb

------------------

16. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Thanos, I agree that we should give Mo Taylor a chance to prove himself. But, honestly, who would you rather have for the max, Webber or Taylor? Don't tell me Taylor out of loyalty. If the Rockets thought like that, Otis Thorpe would never have been sent away for Drexler. When it comes down to it, it's all about getting the most for your money.

As much as I hate to say it, very few players are untouchable in this business. Sometimes teams have to sacrifice a little loyalty to make it to that next level. It's a business, and the players are professionals who will understand. As far as the Rockets' untouchables, I would love to keep Mobley, Shandon and Cato. I would love for us to be able to throw together our usual garbage of Walt, Drew, and Rogers in a sign and trade for Webber, but it doesn't work that way. Ultimately it comes down to winning or losing. The Utah Jazz found this out the hard way when they were "loyal" to Adam Keefe, Greg Ostertag, Bryan Russel, et al. As a result, they never improved during their peak years. Keep that in mind.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

17. Thanos

Thanos Member

Franchise, he was talking about Shandon money wise.

Nikestrad can explain this a thousand times better, but i know for a fact that Hakeem´s salary does NOT automatically becomes free cap space when he retires/his contract expires.

That being said, we don´t have a snowball´s chance in HELL of signing Webber AND Mo AND Shandon, though if Shandon waits one more season he earns his bird rights...

And that´s even dumping Walt´s salary, which doesn´t seem very likely at this point...

So if you guys feel like dreamcasting, at least do it with SOME common sense, or this thread´s topic should read Fantasy Rockets GM.

Funny, even in Fantasy games they have cap...

I still think next season Webber forces a trade to NY to play with his buddy Sprewell.

Again, that´s not what i WANT that´s what WILL happen.

Oh, look for Mo to rebound quite a bit more this season.

I see the Rockets signing Mo for the lonh haul next year and getting a quality SF through the draft or free agency, setting up the team for years to come.

------------------
    "The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It´s Heaven and Hell!"

18. SlamN

SlamN Member

I must say this about the Rockets, they are loyal to those who return the favor. We could have started a major campaign to rebuild when Vancover offered us 3 draft picks for Hakeem. But instead we kept him and gave him a huge extension.

Mo Taylor is a great pick-up. His play gives the Rockets a chance for a playoff spot. I wuold resign him, if doesn't demand the max next year over Webber. Webber is a great player but will put a huge hit on the salary cap. And in my opinion the Rockets can't afford that. They need to have room to resign Anderson and Francis (when the time comes). Plus they are still one big man away from becoming contenders for the title. Cato is unproven and may wear down after a full season as starter.

I don't see Webber coming next year, not for the max. I don't think its going to affect the Rockets much if they resign Taylor (and if Taylor lives up to expectations). BTW, I don't buy into these rumors...

------------------

19. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Thanos, your posts are quite belligerant in this thread.

Why does it bother you that there is a CHANCE that Webber could be here next year? You have no freaking idea what WILL happen. It isn't a lock by any means that Webber will be in NY.

Mo hasn't proven himself yet, and it is not a given that he will. Same with Cato.

Mo was brought in to fill in a hole. Maybe he will fill it long term. MAYBE HE WILL BOLT. You don't know.

And right now the only untouchables on the team are Francis, Mobes and Shandon. But in the future, even their status could change.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.