1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unconfirmed Rumor......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FranchiseCat, Sep 12, 2000.

1. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

C-Webb was on Rome today. While Houston never came up, he did seem apprehensive about Detroit. Since he was in Detroit today donating a lot of money to Detroit-area charities, Rome asked if he was trying to clean up the city before he got there.

Webb said that Detroit is his home and that is the only reason. He said that he wanted to be a Piston a few years ago and they turned their back on him.

When asked about Sacramento, his mood changed. He acted uncomfortable. You could tell he wanted to say a few things but all could say was that everyone else (Portland was who he kept refering to) seemed to be trying to get better. He stopped short of saying that Sac hasn't tried hard enough to get better but you could tell that he wasn't really happy about their offseason.

He did say that he was really inpressed with Williams work ethic over the summer. He said that he put on weight for strength and that he's been working real hard all summer.

Take from that what you will.

------------------
    RocketFuel is dead!

2. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I wonder if Mo would take a pay cut next year so we could keep him and sign Webber.
    Lineup:

Cato
    Webber
    Taylor
    Mobley
    Franchise
    record 62-20 NBA Champions.

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

No Mo' won't take a pay cut next year. He's taking alot less than offered this year. He'll want his money next year. It's not even worth debating.

Also, Mo's can't play the three. He is quick and agile, but there is no way he can chase the other SF's of the league around. He's be injured in the first month for sure.

------------------
    I am the founding member of the Butt-Nekkid Party! White House here we come!

4. Bballplayinplaya

1: from what i know about webber, he seems to always want to be the team's star. this is not happening with Steve in town! I beleive Steve will be perceived as a better player than webber by the end of both of their careers.

2: I never heard anything about Webber saying he liked H-town. I have a feeling if he really did, this board would be swarming with even more webber posts.
    (if u can give me a link to a story or quote that shows him saying this it would be nice)

3: It is simply not the best situation for a guy that wants to be the only superstar of the team. Thats why my beleifs are the way they are .

My guarantee is still in place.

------------------
    Bow down to GOD FRANCIS!

"If they offered me (a lifetime contract) tomorrow, I'd take it."

-- Steve Francis on if the Rockets offered him a lifetime deal. He has now been elevated to "God" status.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

From what I've heard- Webber wants one thing: to WIN. One superstar teams usually don't win championships in this era. I have NEVER heard Webber say that was his attitude. And also, don't expect Webber to outright make any statements about going to Houston right now. There is still a year ahead of him in Sacramento! Now is not the time to handle those things. Were McGrady and Hill talking about Orlando at this time last year?

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

6. Nomar

Nomar Member

I agree that it would be nice to get webber, but i dont think its going to happen. And i dont think that we should still be talking about geting a Power forward. We have a starting PF in Mo Taylor, who was a steal for the Rockets this year. I agree with Thanos in that its kinda disturbing that there is talk of dumping Mo already. I mean, the guy accepted a contract that was below his worth to come play for us, and were already trying to trade him and he hasnt played a game yet? And these are the same people that were going to rip Mobley to shreds if he didnt resign?? hmmmm. First lets see if Mo performs. I dont mean have an all star year. Whats more important, is how he plays with Francis, Anderson, Cato, Mobley, etc. If there is chemistry there, KEEP HIM!!! if you bring in a guy like webber, you run the risk of there being a lack of chemistry. We already have a franchise player in steve. What we need now, is a young, defensively gifted, but not offensively dead,(terrence morris, shane battier) Small Forward. Whoa, that was too long. Sorry about that guys.

------------------
    Starting at shortstop, for the Houston Astros, Nomar Garciaparra.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I should know better than to post here. We all should just say, "No, won't do it." But it's impossible to ignore.
    I said that Mo will do well for us and won't bail next year unless the Rox lose the arena ballot (God forbid: note to all you people living in White Flight, Texas: don't let it happen!) And I said give him a chance.
    None of us should get too happy about this. Let us, instead, carefully monitor the progress of the Kings. If they miss the playoffs and we make it in; if the Rox stick around in Houston, making the team still attractive to free agents; etc. Because the one certainty I never mentioned, thinking it could never happen, is that Houston would have to jump on Webber if he said, "Hey, CD, where's my contract?"
    Still, let's back the horse we brought in and see how he runs, hmn?

------------------

8. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

From what I've heard- Webber wants one thing: to WIN.

Everyone says this, and it's usually a load of hogwash. Just look a Grant Hill.. he makes a big case over how the money doesn't matter to him and that he just wants a championship. And what does he do? Sign for the exception with the Pacers? Try to sign with LA or Porland? Nope, instead he signs a big money deal for a middle of the road team similar to the one he's leaving. It's not about the money, eh Grant? Yeah right..

It's usually <u>always</u> about the money, despite what a player says. Shandon, Barkley and to a lesser extent, Mobley are exceptions to the rule.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel-boy.

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

That will pay for one weeks worth of beer [​IMG]

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited September 12, 2000).]

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Fadeaway- you make a good point. I don't disagree. What I was aiming my comment at was Webber wanting to be the one superstar on his team. Webber could get the max here, as he could in Sacramento or any other place almost. Money won't be a concern. I was just saying that he wants to win in response to the comment that he would never come play with Steve, another superstar. If you can get the same money in Houston as in another place, but Houston has another star AND a better chance to win, don't you think that would play a role? I don't think he'll not come here based on the fact we have Steve, another superstar that can help him win. He does want the money I'm sure, but while perhaps not as much I'm sure he wants to win as well.

------------------
    Looking for next year's Dan Langhi? Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

4th Friday of August= Rocket Day
    1999-Steve Francis
    2000-Maurice Taylor

11. Colby

Colby Member

You have to take these rumors w/ a grain of salt, but they can turn out well. I have a great example.

I lived in Florida during the mid nineties, and followed the Magic b/c they were the closest team and on FSFlorida. Shaq was up for a new contract and I thought no way he leaves Penny and a team that went to the Finals. No one thought he would go.

My girlfriend struck up a conversation w/ a person on a plane. This person worked for Pespi and had some interesting info. This person said Shaq was leaving for sure, b/c he already told Pepsi. Apparently he was to inform them of his decision per his contract.

I told her no way, why LA, they sucked, etc. When he left, I couldn't believe it. I thought my girl was feeding me bs, but she wasn't, she even knew to what team.

I would love to have Webber and I think he fits are system really well. But he has over 300 days left to decide. Whgt he says now is good, but let's wait and see.

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Webber signs August 1, 2001 [​IMG]

13. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

uh, whatever.

A lot could happen between now and next season. Things could change either way.

Maybe the rockets won't even want Webb, if Mo turns out to be a stud PF.

Maybe Webber will come to Houston.

Maybe Williams and the Kings will actually plat decent and Webber will want to stay.

Guarantees at this point don't mean ****.

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

14. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

All Houston has to do to secure Webber's services is to get by LA, Portland, or San Antonio in the first round? Well, color me optimistic.

------------------

[This message has been edited by grummett (edited September 12, 2000).]

15. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Hey! Noone told me we were going to have a ClutchCity 'NBA LIVE' tournament! I get Shaq, Duncan, Hill, Iverson, and Payton. Beat that!

------------------
    Mo money, Mo problems...

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

If Taylor averages 18 and 10 this year, none of us will probably care about Webber who will be 28 next year.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

17. DaneB

DaneB Member

We dont need Chris Webber, lets get Michael Finley. He fits the team better now that we already have studs PFs.

18. Gascon

Gascon Member

[​IMG]

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.

19. MoDunks

MoDunks Contributing Member

I usually don't comment very often. But, wanted to get on this post, since bballplayinplaya is giving away $100 to all that post here if Webber signs next year.

I have nothing to lose and a $100 to gain [​IMG]

With all the sports hype going on in H-town, makes me want to move back!!! Rockets, Comets, Astros, & TEXANS?

20. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I heard a rumor about trading Carlos, Walt and Drew for Webber.

[​IMG]

Where are Sactown fans?

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    4. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN or be Assimilated.