1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unbridled Optimism Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Here I go.

We're going to make the Western Conference finals and there will be a game 7 against the Lakers. the result is a toss up.

first, the health question - I contend that it has been a problem in the past because we have asked too much of Yao and Tmac. Our lack of talent required them to play too many minutes. The physical toll was too much. Pile on top of that the mental pressure, which manifests in physical toll. I think yao can handle the mental pressure, but is not immune to it. It was particularly bad for Tmac. All the quotes -- "It's all on me". he's not built to stand up to that pressure.

Artest and Brooks will keep Head on the bench, which allows us to maintain control of games or build leads, which allows Tmac and yao to limit minutes. You add Wafer and Barry to the mix, and they provide further buffer against injury. Tmac and yao will be healthy, fresh, ready and confident in the playoffs. Our 8-9 man rotation is better than anyone outside of LA (I'll get to them last). In the West, nobody, and I mean nobody, can stand against us except the Lakers.

- Denver has no shot at all. Seriously, none. No answer to Yao. Melo is useless against Battier and Artest. No answer to Tmac. Billups alone is not enough. i would be surprised it if went 6 games.

- Father Time has come for SA. Yao and Duncan cancel each other out. ginobli will have to work too hard against Battier/Artest. Parker can't do it all, not against an elite team defense. We're too deep. Their savy would prolong the death, but they would fall in 6.

- Utah has had more depth and toughness than us in the past. This year, no more luther head to beat up on. No more Kyle Korver and Harpring destroying Luther at will. No more Luther bumbling at the PG position. No more stretching Tmac and Yao's minutes beyond their physical limitations because we have no bench. Artest and Brooks step into the breach, Landry is improved. We kick some mormon ass. We would beat Utah in 6.

- New Orleans is a 6 or 7 game series. Our team defense limits CP3's effectiveness. Peja wears the Battier/Artest blanket. Their front line is too soft/small to withstand Yao/Scola/Landry. Defense wins championships.

- Portland/Phoenix/Dallas - Also rans. Good teams that are not good enough to push us past 5-6 games. Portland may grow up faster than anyone thinks, which could make them a threat. Along with us, they have the greatest upside.

- The hated Lakers.

I begrudgingly give them the edge right now in a 7 game series. They are so abundantly talented offensively that it covers for everything. But they are not invincible. First, they will coast through the season and read their own press clippings. They won't be mentally tested. Second, I still believe they are a soft team. A supremely talented soft team.

We will have improved our offensive efficiency. We need to get Deke back for this very matchup. You can break down the matchups all day and night, but this series comes down to Deke/Artest/Battier/Scola/Landry/Alston. They have to play with passion, toughness and energy like they can. We're talking about flying elbows, body checks, players jawing, technical fouls. We're talking about no layups. We're talking about knocking Lakers down and seeing if they get up the 2nd and 3rd time. My bet is they'll cower and fold like the holllywood p*****s they are.

2. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

If the Rockets gel in the same fashion that they did last season for the 22 game win streak it's going to be a very interesting post-season.

If they play like they are currently--losing to garbage teams, rebounding, losing to garbage teams--then they'll be lucky to get past the first round.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I always suffer from unbridled optimism. While I'm agnostic, I'll go to church (I don't care... anywhere my wife wants to drag me) at least once if the Rockets meet the Lakers in the Finals. :cool:

4. J.Will.Xu

J.Will.Xu Member

Well,I'm neither that so pessimistic nor that optimistic,the fact is the fact.

As of now Rockets ain't goin' anywhere with their performance,so I would not dream of something that's yet to happen,I don't know whether it's gonna happen in the not distant future.

But anyways,I have faith though.Hope your unbridled optimism will work out somehow. ;)

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

Health, health, health. This is my #1 concern. I said in the other post that I can care less we lost meh teams with $800K human sacrificer, but I want us to be fresh come playoff. As long as we win enough games, and start clicking in Mar, and Apr, I have no problem.

In a 7 game series war, I don't see any team other than LA can beat us. JVG the other day said only SA and LA has a shot at us in playoff. SA will indeed be a tough match, but I think our bench is better than theirs.

Our 4 is probably our biggest concern. Someone said Scolandry is terrific, but I think that position would be taken advantage come playoff time.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

By us you mean?

Scolandry(Hayes) is probably our most productive rotating position, and IMO one of the best to offer in the league. We mix it up with great athletism, great defense, and great offensive skill set. When it comes to guarding Scolandry Hayes or be guarded by Hayes, our opponents will only get a defensive advantage when we play Hayes.

Otherwise, the different skill set that Scola and Landry have, will prove to be very difficult for opponent PFs to guard. Not to mention, who knows how much more development Landry will have down the line.

7. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Landry looks much, much better at beating his opponent off the dribble to get to the basket this season. And he's finally showing off his mid-range jumper. The Rockets did excellent work last year getting him and Brooks.

8. adoo

adoo Member

hate to burst your bubble.

First and foremost, Rox should focus on advancing pass the first round.

9. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

What I get to say is that you never know what you can get from the rox. One night it looks like a super team, and another night it is just terrible. I would have to wait for everyone to get back to the court, and beat some real good teams to be optimism.

10. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

can someone post this article? I cant I am too new....Id like to get more info on it...

Quote:
    No Deal: Yesterday rumors surfaced of a Memphis-Houston deal that would have sent Luther Head and Joey Dorsey to the Memphis Grizzlies in exchange for Hakim Warrick. Both teams have since denied the deal was going down, although the Grizzlies were less emphatic in their denial than the Rockets, who said "absolutely not happening." However sources close to Luther Head said that they have been trying to help the Rockets get a deal done for a few weeks now, as Luther is simply not in the plans. The Rockets still seem to be the front runners to land the services of Dikembe Mutombo, who has been nibbling at contenders seeing who has the most interest. If the Rockets can get Mutombo signed they will be a bit more motivated to make a deal and it does seem Luther Head is the odd man out in Houston. It also seems the Memphis Grizzlies are not opposed to moving Hakim Warrick if it's the right deal. There are just 63 days until the NBA trade deadline, so expect some things to heat up.

http://www.***************/Story.asp?story_id=10972

This is intriguing because...Dorsey is a huge star over there...and explains the odd contract we signed him too and him not playing at all. With Francis, Dorsey, Head...PLUS OUR 4 mil in trade exceptions we could feasibly trade for Darko Milicic. I think this seems like a possiblity because the memphis just dropped roster spot to 13 (with buying out antione walker)...so they could do a 3 for 1 swap and eat salary.

What do yall think>?