1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Un-Freeking-Believable

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rhadamanthus, May 11, 2011.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

How do people like this live with themselves? I hate stories like this, they make me angry. This should be jailtime - but our revolving door government won't do ****.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lets have a gay wedding and move to Portugal.

3. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Same deal with---

SEC-Wall Street
    USDA-KFC/McDonalds/Burger King

we're getting to the point where the corporations are running the country, rather than the country running the corporations.

4. lean

lean Member

what do you mean getting to the point? It's been this way for many, many years.

5. rhadamanthus

Ergo the "revolving door" phrase.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's freak, like, I'm freakin' out!

7. rhadamanthus

Or freek, like, im trying not to use a far more colorful word.

Just read her smug quotes. :angry:

8. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

It's not Democrat vs. Republicans, it's us vs. them.

We need to stop paying attention to the bull**** conflict that the 24-hour media generates, and start finding ways to stop the wealthy and the politically-powerful (often one and the same) from ass-raping us and our economy repeatedly.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

All kidding aside, why isn't this illegal? It's no different than a general or admiral pushing a defense project, then getting a cushy job with the defense contractor when he/she is successful. This sort of thing happens on the state and local level, as well.

There ought to be a law.

10. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

You should read some Tim Carney. He has well documented the flow of lobbyists from Executive and Legislative positions into sweet gigs with the folks they lobbied for.

He's more libertarian/conservative than you, but is a genuinely awesome guy dedicated to exposing corruption on the part of lobbyists and K street.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/people/timothy-p-carney

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i would think that there would be laws against making deals to give out contracts in exchange for future employment - i guess proving it is difficult, but everyone knows thats how it works. at the least there should be a law that says you cannot work for a corporation for say 5 years after holding office if you gave contracts to or created or voted on legislation that directly benefited said company.

look at former fatherland security chief chertoff - after purchasing the initial body scanner contracts (pre-underwear bomber, btw) and then going all over t.v. advocating for their use he ends up getting a consulting job w/ the main body scanner company.

and we also have a problem from the other direction - people like cheney going from running haliburtion to running our nations energy policy and holing secret meetings in may 2001 which were never disclosed.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

It's not illegal because lobbyists write our laws.

1 person likes this.
  13. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

the FCC is useless besides regulating who gets what radio/tv wave stations. Get rid of it. More government means more corruption.

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I'll take government over corporations any day.

wait, that didn't come out like it sounded in my head.

:)

#14 mc mark, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011
  15. tallanvor

rly? corporations can't force me to do ****. corporations have no access to my money unless I give it to them.

16. Northside Storm

you say that now, but when the McArmy 1st Fries Division comes and forces you to consume greasy, undercooked, and unsalted fries, YOU WILL REGRET IT.

thought experiment->who do I want to run my country? a group of individuals who are responsible to me, the voter, or a company that makes money by trying to get as many resources as possible from the country in question, and acts more or less as a globe-hopping, money-sucking parasite that is accountable to only the shareholder---of which I am probably not.

INDEED.

17. tallanvor

individuals responsible to me. That's why I want less government. less crony capitalism. big companies love this big government non-sense since they can pay for lobbyists and the little guy can't.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah. But corporations can withhold and overcharge for basic necessities! But it's alright because the govt. has no power to combat that. RIGHT?!
    I hope anonymous gets together and ass-rapes these selfish assholes.

19. Northside Storm

big companies would love small government even more, since then they don't even have to pay for lobbyists to do whatever the hell they please to America and her people.

the lesser of two evils---

an organization that is elected by the people and even though it often fails at this, is at least sometimes, for the people

or an organization whose very existence is defined by the need to suck as much money out of the land as possible, and then move on when there are better profits elsewhere, with zero inherent responsibility to employees, or host country citizens.

1 person likes this.
  20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I am not as angry about this as I guess I should be. She's taking a job highly related to her old one, she's also actually leaving government so I would think she'd technically be in less of a position to do damage. And I'm not sure exactly how this could be prevented. Higher government salary? Larger pension or severance tied to a non-compete clause? Can you legally/constitutionally restrict where someone works after they leave your company?

Would it be equally unseemly if an EPA official went to work for the Sierra Club? As much as if they went to work for ExxonMobil instead?