1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Un-Freaking-Real

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jeff, Sep 8, 2002.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Well, I like Lewis strictly as a punt/kick returner, so thats why I mentioned a third wr, and as far as defensive line, we could use 1 really nice pass rusher. But our secondary and linebackers are very good.

2. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

What a great pleasure it was to witness this historic opener. Go Texans!

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I thought you have to remove all your jewelry before playing? He still has his wedding ring on. If that gets caught on something - ouch, that could be painful.

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

They were talking about that on the game broadcast.

Apparently he tapes it over, but still.....

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

If he jams a finger and it starts to swell, they'll have to cut the ring off of his finger. You should NEVER play a sport with a ring on.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. Timing

Timing Member

Dat Porcelain Nguyen. That guy is hurt as often as anyone I've ever seen, good guy though.

8. Buck Turgidson

I wish was in Dallas and could hear their sports-talk today; here's some selected commentary from their print media:

Cowboys rising fast on the laugh track
    Randy Galloway, Fort Worth Star Telegram

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/sports/football/nfl/4034449.htm

Fire everybody.

Everybody except the owner. Deport him.

Otherwise, immediately can the general manager, the head coach, the offensive coordinator, the defensive coordinator, the special teams coach and anyone else judged responsible for the lowest moment of humiliation in the Cowboys' 43 seasons of existence.

Hello, hell.

Oh, the humility: This loss a new low
    Jim Reeves, Fort Worth Star Telegram

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/sports/football/nfl/4034444.htm

Under a bold-face line in the Cowboys' pregame notes Sunday that read "A Cowboys Win Would:" were such luminous gems as "Allow Dallas to take a 1-0 series advantage," and "Allow Dallas to win its first season-opening game against an expansion team."

Conspicuously absent was a list of equally profound insights should the Cowboys lose to the first-year Houston Texans, a scenario of such horror-filled proportions that it apparently wasn't even a consideration.

In the wake of the Texans' shocking 19-10 victory over the almost unbelievably inept Cowboys in front of a deliriously jubilant crowd at sold-out Reliant Stadium, it didn't take much imagination to fill in that oversight with a few pertinent observations such as "worst embarrassment in franchise history" and "national disgrace."

and

Jerry Jones could be excused if he started firing people as they walked in the door at Valley Ranch this morning, except for one small problem: He'd have to start with the general manager.

Not a bad idea at that.

Instead, it will probably eventually be coach Dave Campo who pays for this one with his job, and maybe he should at that.

"We worked hard and have good players, but they are better than we are," Jones said. "I think what sticks out to me is they played better than we did."

This from the man who claimed at the team's kickoff luncheon a few days ago that this Cowboys team is the most talented he's seen since arriving in Dallas.

Cowboys hit a new low in loss
    Tom Cowlishaw, Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/columnists/tcowlishaw/stories/090902dnspocowlishaw.16d46.html

It's a new world for Dallas, too. The Cowboys have hit rock bottom. Officially. Unequivocally. Embarrassingly.

We thought they had scraped the basement last winter in Pontiac, Mich., with that season-ending loss to a 1-14 Detroit team. But that's nothing compared to losing 19-10 in a season opener to a 0-0 all-time Houston Texans team.

A team that lost 22 games the last two years should be incapable of shocking its fans in a bad way, but the Cowboys managed it Sunday night. A poorly coached and prepared team played miserably in Houston, and it wasn't the team that had never played before.

Oh, well. The Cowboys' franchise has never trained its sights on anything so mundane as to be recognized as Texas' team. And no one's calling them that this morning.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I do live in Dallas, and most of the fans are pissed about the game, and are very down on the team. That is fun to hear, but what aggravated me the most was hearing my favorite Dallas sports guy, Mike Fisher, talking about how Quincy Carter just had a bad game and that we should be comparing him to David Carr and Michael Vick!!!!!!!

What?! He is nothing like David Carr. Carr actually has an ARM. How novel of an idea is that? He can throw far, he can throw accurate, and *gasp* the guy can consistently throw a spiral. I can kind of see the Michael Vick angle because both of those QBs are amazingly gifted athletically...but come on! I would be freaking amazed if Carter ends up anywhere near as good as Vick in the end. I lost a lot of respect for Fisher today, and I may just stop listening to his show.

10. Timing

Timing Member

Vick looked silky smooth yesterday, shades of the ultimate weapon. Quincy is definitely not in his class.

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I'll admit it I am a Cowboy fan.

My team sucks.

Quincy Carter was not even a good college QB and will never be a decent pro QB. My mom can throw a tighter spiral than him.

It's pretty easy to stop the run when you play 8 guys in the box.

I'll be the first to say the Texans deserved that game. THey played hard.

However I don't think Dallas is too far away from being a good team. We need a QB who can stop the D from loading 8 men in the box. That is priority 1A. Good thing is next years draft is loaded with QBs, again I'm not sur ehow many are bona fide NFL QBs but I would love Byron Leftwich. Who knows maybe Hutchinson is the guy?

Priority 1B is a CB. Westbrooks and Hawthorne killed us. I'm also not a big fan of Mario Edwards, Derek Ross or anyone else we have back there. But having one shut down corner could allow us to give help to the other one.

Priority 2 is Special Teams. Our Kickers have sucked since Rafael Septien. There have been a couple good years but we only sign the good kickers for one year. Punting is also not good.

Priority 3 is a veteran WR. Galloway is a burner who doesn't like to get hit. Bryant was a steal int he draft but we need that guy to go across the middle.

Priority 4 is a TE. THis may be higher but I think McGee is serviceable for now.

I love our O-line, they were made to look bad because the Texans knew Quincy Carter could not beat them.

I like our D-line with Glover and Ellis as anchors.

I love our LBs with Dat-Coakley flying around. Sorry to hear Dat is hurt.

I love our safeties with Woody and Williams, Williams just needs more experience and Woody needs to get use to playing FS instead of SS.

Poor Emmit Smith, guy is a class act and is stuck lining up behind a NFL-Europe bound QB.

Anyways sorry this was long. Congrats to the Texans. My Cowboys are down but I have hopes that with 2 new players (QB and CB) we'll be ok next year. I hope!

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Bryant looked like crap yesterday too. I'm not saying he won't be good, but he seemed to be cocky even in defeat and even during his own screw ups. If you screw up your route you shouldn't walk off the field like a bad ass and have a waggle.

13. moomoo

moomoo Member

Is D-Carr wearing one of those new helmets designed to protect players', in particular
    quarterbacks', jaws more effectively? Some QB's were complaining that
    they rubbed against their shoulder pads too much, but if Carr is wearing one, it
    doesn't look like he had any problems with it...

I was thinking the same thing... Until I read that he continued to play despite the
    broken wrist.
    Gotta give him his props...

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I might be the last one to post here, but nonetheless, woohoo!!!!!.....I hardly got any sleep from celebrating last night! My day has been great!

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Nothing like working in Dallas and being able to walk up to co-workers, give them the most perplexed look I can give them and ask them "What's that crap you clowns put out there for football team called again? Oh yeah, the Cowboys" The fact that we had offensive linemen missing and still beat 'em despite being an expansion club still is hysterical.

One of the Dallas papers ran a picture that showed Gary Walker barking something angrily at Jerry Jones as he walked off the field... lol. Awesome.

Damn, I miss Houston now... go Texans! :D

16. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

Memo to all Cowboy fans:

Stop with the Bryant was the steal of the draft crap. That guy played scared last night. Scared to go over the middle, scared to get hit and scared to play football. He doesn't know how to finish a route. What did this guy do at Pitt to deserve this attention?

A friend in Dallas actually thinks he will be the next Lynn Swan. Now that is a good one.

That is why this win is so special. Dallas thinks it is so superior to eveyone else. Scoreboard for the next four years.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im a Texans fan and I hate the Cowboys, but I would have to disagree with you. There is a huge transition from being a college WR to being a pro WR. Players need about 1 full year to learn the ropes. I think Bryant will be a stud when he learns more about the pro game and when he gets a QB that can throw the ball. Bryant was a steal and he will be a solid receiver. Afterall, Gaffney was the 1st player taken in the second round. What did he do? 1 catch for -3 yards. Does that mean that Gaffney is a bust?

18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

From what I've seen, Bryant has yet to really dissapoint me. I can't say that for many other Cowboys. :) He didn't do so well last night, but he did rather well in preseason. He also had Glenn on him, which wouldn't help him out much. Now do I think he is the next Michael Irvin, like his number suggests? No. Its way too early for that. But was he a steal? I think so. And it wouldn't hurt to have a better QB, like rezdawg said. :)

BTW, I don't think I ever gave kudos to the Texans. I think I just said how badly the Cowboys did. So:

You guys did very well. You deserved to win.

Hmm...nice and big too. :D

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

you might like this...

are you kidding? there was no place, save for houston, of course, i would've rather been than in dallas this morning -- you can't put a price on the sight of massive cowboy fans collectively jumping off the bandwagon...

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ric,

Thanks. LOL! The look on Walker's face and Jones with his freshly exhumed cadaver plastic surgery job. Oh man, that's priceless...

I will be using that as my desktop wallpaper at work tomorrow without a doubt. :D