1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ultimate "James Harden Doesn't Play Defense" Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Apr 18, 2014.

1. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

Well. The title of the thread says all: James Harden Doesn't Play Defense not James Harden Can't Play Defense. For the Rockets' success, he has to play defense!

2. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

I laughed out loud several times watching this.

3. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

Lol, this video has high comedic value; the D is just so bad I kept laughing while watching. I think no one is doubting James Harden's value to the team and he will most likely step it up in the playoffs.

But it's like he's in a post-stripper haze. He doesn't do the most basic things like watch his man, move between his man and the basket, keep hands ready, and use body to box out/defend. He doesn't need to be an amazing 2-way player, but he should at least give a semblance of a damn on defense.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

credit to anyone who watched the full video.

1 person likes this.
  5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

This is stupid

6. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

I bet you could not. Harden's disinterest on defense is pretty epic. There are two reasons:

1) ball watching: he has an uncanny ability to tune out where his man actually is while he watches the ball.

2) lack of effort: watch is PnR defense -- he switches everything even when our other guards are expecting him to go under or over the screen.

My sense is that playoff intensity may make him willing to fix number 2, after all, what is he saving effort for if not the playoffs. Number 1, however, is going to still cost us 2-3 buckets a game.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

The problem with the 'step it up' in the playoffs statement I keep seeing thrown around is that the playoffs will be a higher intensity. Players will get tired faster and revert back to their normal habits. The thing elite players do is set those habits at an high level already.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness this is probably his worst moments. Out of 1000's of plays.

Nearly all of them are plays where he seems to be caught napping. At least we know it's correctable. I am not sure which is worst, being a bad defender because you suck at defense or being a bad defender because you just don't care.

10. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

The first 2 minutes are basically the same mistakes on replay.

This video could be an hour long if the guy spent more time on it.
    And of course being a bad defender is worse when you're lazy. While his post D is solid, off the ball is bad and lazy. This is funny except when you're a max/franchise player.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

If I were McHale, I would show this video over and over. Really awful, "stand around" defense. He must put forth more effort than that, and I assume he will.

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So, let me get this straight. If we play great defense but don't outscore them, then we still lose. But, if we don't play great defense, then we have to outscore them anyway or we still lose. Regardless, we still have to outscore them or we lose. Do I have that right? ;) :p

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

In that case my apologies and carry on!

14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

LOL they do say the best defense is a good offense.

15. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

Not caring is better. At least in important or close games he tightens it up.

16. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

This isn't new. Harden is lazy on defense and lacks awareness.

The things that bother me the most in no particular order:

1. The reach-around: this move is so corny, even when done on the playground. Please don't do it in a professional basketball game.

2. Getting backdoored: This is a complete awareness issue. It's a lack of focus on the defensive end. Just keep your feet moving and your body at an angle to the ball and whoever you're guarding, ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE ON THE WEAK SIDE CORNER. Even in high school basketball, the rule is you cannot take your eyes off your man for more than 1 second. How can you play at the NBA level and ball watch for 3-5 seconds and NOT expect your man to cut to the basket???

3. If and when you get beat, move your damn feet to box out / help out the helper. If freaking Thabo Sefalosha just blew by you, DO NOT reach around with your arm. MOVE YOUR FEET and get over to Ibaka b/c Terrance Jones is likely busting his ass trying to recover for you. Don't give up on the play just because you got beat b/c we have one of the best interior defenses in the league. However that defense can be easily marginalized if our players don't all do a great job of recovering.

17. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Even Troy Daniels tries harder to play defense than Harden.

18. masc0635

masc0635 Member

So our superstar only has 3 more points than a good player?? Is that we expect from him?

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

This is getting passed around social media and message boards now.

20. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

lold hard at the video

he makes up on offense....he's young he'll improve defensively