1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ultimate "James Harden Doesn't Play Defense" Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Apr 18, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think he gambled as a back up plan to failing to take the charge. Wasn't that close to being a charge, so no reason to sell it.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

At that junction, Harden had 4 options (in order of my preferred options):
    1. Run back to contest a fast break
    2. Foul Larkin
    3. Steal the ball
    4. Draw a charge

We can rule out #1. I don't think he tried to take a charge because Larkin had plenty of space before Harden stopped moving his feet. Larkin had the ball before the FT line. Harden stopped moving at that point. Larkin had 2 dribbles before the pass and, to me, Harden made no effort to position himself for a charge.

In my opinion, he's going for a steal. But I could see an argument for him trying to foul Larkin. No matter how you cut it, though, it was a poor attempt at a steal or a foul.

You can bet a coach is going to get on Harden for that play. I don't see why it's so wrong of us to criticize Harden for that. It's constructive and suggests he should do better, which he should and has done for the majority of the season. Harden's defense has been better and I've praised him for great defensive plays down the stretch. But in this case, and others, I've also criticized his bad defensive plays hoping he'd learn and improve. Is that wrong? Should we just ignore all his bad plays?

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You think your posting here affects his game?

4. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

he tried to foul and swiped Larkin but refs didn't call it. rockets have been fouling the ball handler on fast breaks to stop it this season

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Does he really? Does a guy who had a great game in every aspect offensively and defensively and carried the team to the win scoring the last 12 points of the game deserve to be criticized for one bad play?

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Thanks Zapruder for the breakdown.

This is called "know when to fold em" and obviously you failed.

7. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I always come back here 'cause it seems to be the frontline on the Harden's D conversation at Clutchfans.

Harden last night gave us 6 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block, and a 95 def rtg. He played excellent defense. Defense so excellent, you would think he would struggle on the offense side, especially with Howard out, 3 starters out. But instead he destroyed the Knicks for 36 pts. Oh and then gave us 6 assists, being an alchemist turning tin into gold by playmaking to get easy buckets for our bigs.

#1 overall in Defensive Win Shares.
    #8 overall in Defensive Rating. (#1 amongst Shooting Guards in front of Tony Allen)
    #2 amongst SGs in total blocks
    #1 amongst SGs in total steals
    #2 amongst SGs in total rebounds

8. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

The post on http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/11...fense-continues-to-be-hilarious#comment_tease it looks like they add slow motion to the second right before Larkin passes by Harden. The video kind of stutters. At full speed it doesn't look as bad. Sure he gave up on the play after that, but the idea that he was just staring off into space is ridiculous. I do think he was setting up for a charge and mistimed it.

[youtube]AC53cIJC_00[/youtube]

9. rocketsmetalspd

Yea, looks like he tried to take a charge but Larkin was too quick. Nice seeing Dorsey trying to throw down a dunk. Is it me or has Dorsey been stuff at the rim when he tries to take it strong to the rim?

10. Duncan McDonuts

No, but what's the point of this forum? Any poster's analysis of the Rockets? It has no effect on these multi-million dollar decisions, but we're still here discussing many topics.
    If Harden did try to foul Larkin, he should have kept his feet moving and bodied up Larkin to make it clear he was fouling. From the replay, it looks like he missed Larkin or barely brushed him. It was a poor attempt at a foul if that was Harden's intention.
    Do coaches/players not go over film in wins? Harden did have a great game last night and he has been a great iso defender this year. That doesn't mean we should ignore his bad plays. Why is it wrong to point them out?

From what I've seen, Harden excels in iso defense, especially in the post because of his large derriere makes him immovable a la Chuck Hayes. He also played great iso defense on Monta down the stretch. His biggest deficiency is off-the-ball defense, particularly players who run through multiple screens. I think a big test of his defense will be coming up against the Clippers if he's asked to match up with JJ Reddick, who always goes off against us.

Other thoughts are I'm glad he's been fighting for rebounds this year instead of leaking out on the break. Whether that's game planning to supplement our depleted frontline, or our new philosophy to finish out defensive plays, his RPG are up nearly 2 from his career avg, a big improvement. Also think he needs to improve his pick-and-roll defense. Harden doesn't fight through picks that well and allows the guard too much space for dribble penetration.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty much sounds like you're nitpicking and trying to mold the perfect defense for harden. not gonna happen

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What happened was that he said something dumb on the internet, now he has to defend it, unfortunately he looks like Harden on Defense TEEHEEHAHAHHAHAHA

13. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Exactly... the media and some fans keep pushing the Anti-Rockets propaganda.

1 person likes this.
  14. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

Somebody honestly needs to make a video of Harden's defensive impact this year...Otherwise I can't see this narrative ending...The general public doesn't watch Rockets games, including the media it would take another viral video to change the opinion of the public sadly :rolleyes:

15. Duncan McDonuts

I am nitpicking but if there's a teaching moment, why not point it out? Isn't that what coaching is for?

The whole narrative of the Rockets are infallible, have no areas of improvement, and anyone who disagrees is a hater is detrimental to the team and is a poor mentality to have.

The gifs Air Canada posted were great defensive plays that Harden had and has shown much improvement on this season. To change the media's perception of his defensive lapses, Harden does need to show he's a lockdown defender in big moments. That's not going to happen overnight, especially in this young season. More nationally televised games and big defensive plays will help change that perception, like the ending of the Mavs game.

It is dishonest of the media to single out one play and pretend that Harden still doesn't play defense, but Harden is responsible for the media's perception of his defense and he can't give them ammo to use.

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

1. Find me one example of that narrative.
    2. FIFY

17. Duncan McDonuts

Posts by you in the Fire McHale thread. You're policing the people who think our coaching situation could be better, and saying anyone who thinks that is a Rockets hater.

You're also not reading my posts. I've praised Harden for his defense. I've also criticized him for some bad defense.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I'm saying 1) people who are going to complain about McHale until next year's playoffs should be writing letters to the Rockets instead of planning on trolling the biggest Rockets fan site for the next six months; 2) what is the point in you focusing on one play after 14 games of MVP performance? What's the point? You seek excellence, supposedly, right? You say it's "constructive criticism." What does it construct? Tell us. It constructs nothing. Your trolling has no relation to whether the Rockets become more excellent or not. 3) I never said the Rockets were infallible. You think "11-3" means infallible?

Quit using weak-ass arguments and go find "the narrative that the Rockets are infallible." Those are your words. Support your own weak claims. You act like you're James Harden's high school basketball coach and he is actually reading your posts. He does not hear you, Dude.

Knock yourself out looking through my posts defending the Rockets. Meanwhile, try to find support for your own troll claims.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

do you expect harden to be playing the most minutes, being most productive offensively, and defensively, perfect on offense and defense every single night?

or if he does give less than 100% on defense on one single play you're ready to crack your whip?

[​IMG]

20. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

someone needs to make a new video of his defensive plays this year then at the beginning fade in the foot locker commercial when he says "im not defensive" or whatever the line is.