1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ultimate "James Harden Doesn't Play Defense" Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Apr 18, 2014.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Facts, sweet facts.

2. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

The "Harden is bad at defense" meme is definitely getting overdone, but I didn't think that was the sole focus of this video. It's about Harden being a gambler, and a steal is a gamble - just one that pays off.

Harden's defense has been pretty solid up till now (with occasional glaring lapses) but I expect him to really ramp up his efforts this season, with all this focus. Just hope he can pace himself to avoid injury. It'll wear him down to play that hard at both ends of the court for 38 minutes night after night.

3. c2u4erm

c2u4erm Member

I know you guys love your rockets!! But please stop defending harden and his lack of defense...if harden doesn't toughen up he will never get us out of the first round... Don't understand all the people defending him...

4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

The Facts have been laid out. (See my bullet-tastic presentation of indisputable Facts) We know Harden has terrible defense since wearing Rockets red. His defense with OKC already got him out of the 2nd round, so that check box is checked. His first year with Rockets, no one even expected that team of miscellaneous parts post-nuclear-winter-Yao/McGrady Era to even make it to the playoffs, let alone beat 1st seed, fine-tuned OKC. It is an intellectually dishonest knock against Harden.

What we are defending is his FIBA performance. We are countering the runaway, auto-pilot, default narrative that Harden is and always will suck at D. When a Rocket shows significant offseason improvements, and puts work in where his mouth did some talking after the last season, then I say 'hey good job' and anticipate improved performance in the next season. Ramping up the D at the starting SF alone is great. It's 12.5% of a McHale 8 man rotation. But ramping up the D at the starting SF AND collecting 'found money' with a new-look Harden as a + defender....that is scary and has me licking my chops. Bev, new + def Harden, Ariza, Howard in the same line up...we can lock down teams while blowing them out on offense. It might really be the simple tweak that blows the whole thing wide open.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

hes been looking focused to me. Hope he can keep it up!

#fearthebeard

6. valorita

valorita Member

You can tell he is trying on defense because he looks winded on offense. Never saw that last year.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

he shot like ass at the start of last season too, he just didn't play defense then

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Proud of The Beard. He's maturing and getting better.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

eat a dick coach nick

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good signs. Hope he keeps this up as the season wears on and as the team faces some actual good teams.

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

The jason terry and ariza effect is definitely paying dividends.

12. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I'll have seconds, please.

Also, I never touched those kids.

13. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

It's ok . Team defense cover him pretty we'll.

14. haydenfisher342

People just making these videos for hits , ill put them in the same category as ESPN, tnt, and many others that continue to over dramatize Dwight Howard, kobe bryant, the lakers and McHale

15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

8 board, 4 steals, 1 block, and contained his guy...

He had a filthy sick 80 def rtg against the celtics.
    The best def rtg of the Rockets by a mile.

And a 130 Off rtg to go with it.

I said get used to 1st qtr double digit leads.
    But I also like this early trend of scoring over 100 while holding opponents to about 90.

Offense and Defense. Espn's silence speaks volumes.

16. CCorn

CCorn Member

He has been shooting like poop though. Crazy he's putting up so many points, without even playing the 4th quarter.

17. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I like it that we could sit Harden the entire 4th qtr (granted we had a double digit lead) and we still won handily. Maybe the team is showing more balance finally.

We need a healthy Dwight though, or a good backup for him.

18. bongman

bongman Member

Doesn't team defense require that everybody plays their positions well in order that you can easily get help if beaten by your man?

19. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

He's currently 7th in the league in defensive win share :p

20. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

So who's going to make a 15 minute video of his defensive plays?