1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

What diplomatic efforts that they haven't already been pursuing should they take?

2. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Supporting Ukraine AND NATO is turning out to be the problem. Europe/Germany, all of whom do NOT contribute their indicated share to their own defense, against taking the only sanction actions that would really impact Russia (cutting off SWIFT, then simply banning any Russian exports, including gas).

Begging the question....how much support should we really give NATO? I think its a valid question. Polls apparently show Germans would rather deal with Russia than the US. So...let them? How many troops are THEY sending to the Baltic states? Should be more than us. It seems its...hundreds. Should be thousands, and really tens of thousands. Reality is if Putin wanted to take the Baltic states, he could, and likely fairly easily. Given that...will he? While we hem and haw about 'oh, what shall we do?!'. SAYING we will enact Article 5 is VASTLY different than actually doing so. Putin could easily determine its just words, and there isn't the backbone to back them up (much like he made that determination, correctly, in Ukraine). Will he?

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's amazing is how open the US was with Russia's plans and made sure no one was surprised with Putin's timetable. Not only great intelligence but great communication. He's gets zero credit for that.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Frankly I’m seeing a lot of knee jerk opposition to the actions taken by the US and NATO.

Obviously opposition from the Right that appears unable to let go of partisanship. Also opposition from the other side blaming the usual suspects of the media and that this is a war for money..

As I said earlier I’m not going to call people “traitors” because it is important we question our leadership especially when it comes to war. Much of this criticism though appears off base and doesn’t fit the facts of the situation. It appears more about ideology and well worn talking points than it does what is actually happening.

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Your inability to recognize what Putin is doing and why, and how he seems to be achieving all of it, is an issue you will have to solve yourself.

It may turn out that he overreached..will have to see. Absent that, in the short term, he is achieving everything he said and wanted.

Mexico is such a ridiculous comparison it isn't even worth discussing...and just indicates you have no idea what is actually involved and happening in Ukraine.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Huh? Serious question how much have you been following the situation?

The US state department has been talking to the Russians for months now over this. There have been several offers made to resolve this. Poor Macron has been going back and forth from Russia trying to broker a deal. Putin famously put him at the end of a long table for a photo op.

Also the US and NATO aren’t actually fighting.

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

What's interesting is how the right keeps saying Biden should have intimated Putin more, including threatening the use of Nukes which to anyone should sound pretty insane. I'm sorry, who the f wants to play that game here in America with a country that we have already come pretty close to having a nuclear war with by seconds at different points in the cold war.

Not to mention when Obama gave his infamous redline to Syria, and Syria didn't buy the bluff, the right mocked for Obama - he did try to intimate Syria but it didn't work. Does the right think anyone is going to intimidate Putin????

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Sounds like Putin has put the play on you.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

10. i3artow i3aller

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

WTF. Why do you have to be so awfully wrong on everything.

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

What? The bottom of the stock market is always on the day of major conflicts and rebounds immediately after. Im not sure what this has to do with anything.

Chip shortages are not the only issue. Trump made it a point that the US should bring manufacturing back home, regardless of what the outcome was to his rhetoric. It was the left who said America needs to focus on tech and not manufacturing.

However you are incorrect. There are domestic side issues that could use assistance. Putting the resources into clearing ports is a significant help.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

More than TC.

Traitor imply gov should take actions against the individual. It’s not ok to suggest or use force of the gov to suppress.

Repeating Putin propaganda should be called out as being proPutin. Same with praising him. Putin is an evil person. These people that repeat his propaganda or praise him are very bad people.

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with supporting NATO and Ukraine. We, as a country should support countries being overtaken by evil men like Putin trying to take over and rule and destroy governments who support freedom for their people and democratic values.

As for people not contributing their fair share, I agree. The other NATO nations need to step up. We should all be putting in our share on any cause. I guess it's similar to our own country. There will always be takers and givers. That should never stop us from helping people in danger or in need.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The stock market rebounded when Biden announced the sanctions were going to be a lot less than the market feared. You do know that right? Do you invest in the markets and follow them?

There are many issues from Covid regarding global supply chains - not just chips but many many other things such as commodities like oil and rubber. Trump didn't bring manufacturing back to the US and neither can Biden - you can't reverse free markets. You complain about inflation but fail to acknowledge that Trumps attacks on trade is a direct cause of inflation today while failing to bring manufacturing jobs back to the US.

You also fail to acknowledge that while the jobs have disappeared, the gross value of US manufacturing is at a record level - the problem isn't that US manufacturing is in decline, it's in decline everywhere as it just takes a lot less people to make stuff than it used to.

The economics of cheaper labor overseas isn't something tax breaks and tariffs will overcome despite what you're being told.

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Honestly I took a long break from this forum so I forgot that Mathloom weighs in with bizarre takes on every situation.

AroundTheWorld and DaDakota like this.
  17. justtxyank

We are not at war with Russia, so by definition you aren't a traitor even if you openly support Putin right now.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Truth!

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It's as if you guys have this character built up in your minds of who Putin is, and he's this mythological figure in a comic book or something to the point where his own contradictory words just don't exist.

Putin in his own words, contradicts what you think he is doing, and why he is doing it.

He has NOT achieved anything yet other than setting up the obvious cratering of the Russian economy, and years of suffering and shame for his subjects (no longer really free citizens). He has not taken back the Soviet states. He hasn't yet toppled the government of Ukraine which he has said in his own words have no right to exist because of ethno nationalistic fantasy.

I also forgot to ask what your foreign policy credentials are yourself. Other than possibly being a Russian troll yourself, I fail to see any credentials that allows you to criticize my knowledge of Slavic history, and European conflict.

In other words... feel free to go F$ck yourself, and have a good day comrade. The fetishizing of strongman autocratic brutality on the right is wrong, and you don't really deserve my time beyond this post.

20. justtxyank

The US did not drumbeat for this war good grief.