1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Xi has been trolling with his never ending rule lol.

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

For the last few years China have upped their aggression and intimidation in the Asia Pacific region. They've forced the need for the AUKUS pact (Australia, UK, & US) and Quad alliance (US, India, japan, & Australia). All formed in 2021.

The gain hoarding could have some part in their trade dispute with Australia. Australia is the only country taking them head on . China has imposed illegal trade sanctions on them.

This take is so wrong. I understand the treatment of foreigners trying to flee is upsetting. Rhere are bigger things at plat here.

I take it you're not old enough to remember the Yugoslav wars?

#3542 hooroo, Mar 3, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    Deckard, Ubiquitin and Nook like this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't agree with that. It's because a communist ruler is trying to expand itself and take over another country.

You can't compare the most corrupt country in the Middle East to Ukraine. Everyone knows the atrocities countries like Yemen and other corrupt countries around the world treat their own people.Would I visit countries in the Middle East, parts of Africa, Myanmar, or other extremely dangerous and violent countries? Hell no.

Should any civilized country do business with them or contribute towards their dirty money? No! If they were as big and powerful as Russia and started killing people and taking over Western world civilized countries then people would be just as outraged. When a country ruled by evil and corruption wants to spread their corrupt ways to civilized countries and change them to corrupt and evil rule it's certainly going to draw more attention.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. NewRoxFan

7. NewRoxFan

8. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

interesting thread on the Russian aviation industry.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

10. VanityHalfBlack

All these sanctions on Russia, is it really gonna make them stop? I guess time will tell right?

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think there is a lot to this and the reception that Ukrainian refugees are getting in Europe is very different than the reception that refugees from Syria, Iraq, Libya, and many other war torn Middle Eastern and African countries got.

Contrast the scenes of Poles welcoming Ukrainians at train stations with those of Syrian refugees drowning trying to get from Turkey to Greece and then being held behind barbed wire.

This certainly isn't fair to the Ukrainians and they deserve as much help and sympathy as anyone else but a family fleeing Homs deserved as much consideration as a family fleeing Kyiv..

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have one part of the GOP calling Biden weak for not doing more and putting an oil embargo on Russia, and then you have the other part criticizing Biden for doing too much.

WTF do they want?

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I brought this up before - to me it's not just a few reporters, it's just how much this has captured the country's and western world's attention when so many conflicts never generated this much interest into the suffering of brown people. It's not just with wars. We see this with missing persons and crime victims in this country as well. And even with natural disasters, I don't ever recall the amount of empathy that went out to all the vacationers that were affected by the Boxer Day Tsunami.

I get it, white people are going to identify with other white people, and thus feel more empathy. But it just is such a stark contrast at makes me sad that how much race plays a factor.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ukraine does matter strategically because of the potential to lead to WWIII. It should probably capture our attention more. The coverage of the plight of the Ukrainians and the treatment of their refugees compared to others is where the differences is. I agree with it's like the missing white girl situation.

While certainly a missing white girl deserves attention and sympathy it is sad to see how much attention a Petito get's compared to the thousands of missing Native American women.
    https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...een-missing-indigenous-women-and-missing-data

For refugees fleeing Syria and Iraq those have frequently been portrayed as an "invasion" that is swamping the West. We see it everyday in political rhetoric in not just Western Europe but in Australia and especially here in the US about the dangers of taking in refugees from those countries. Somehow I don't think Ukrainian refugees will get the same reception.

Nook and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Let's bring up race during crisis. It's not like Russians aren't notoriously racists, misogynistic, and homophobic.

Look squirrel!!!!

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If we have time to joke about Putins long table we have time to talk about race.

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

But when a president says they think someone like Trayvon could've been his son.

The nerve...What a divisive fella!

Funny that empathy can be one hop away from something else. Not saying it's a bad thing, rather we all need a larger capacity for it.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Iraqis are by far the largest group of the refugees taken in by Australia annually. Syrians are in the top 5.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yeah I don't know what to call it. It's not racism in the standard sense, more like some kind of empathy bias I guess.

But the overall net takeaway that comes across is that the lives of white people are more precious than those who are brown.

Nook and Invisible Fan like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Saw this and unconfirmed reports of other potential false flag operations (Russian shooting at their own border cities from Ukraine). Remember the leak about Russian civilian dr needed in this war, including pediatric dr? Putin is an evil person.