1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Nov 25, 2018.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

WTF...
    ______

Russia Appears To Be Preparing Its Ancient An-2 Biplanes For War In Ukraine

Aerial imagery and accompanying analysis from the satellite imagery and space technology firm Maxar Technologies indicates that a considerable number of An-2s have now been moved to Seshcha Air Base in Bryansk Oblast, a region in western Russia, which shares a border to northern Ukraine.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...-its-ancient-an-2-biplanes-for-war-in-ukraine

Nook likes this.
  2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree it shouldn't be taken lightly. But there is also a cost for waiting. And potentially one that compounds.

I'm agreeing that there isn't the political will to commit mass numbers of troops. However if helping enforce a no-fly zone leads to Russians escalating and targeting us then I believe the political will can grow.

Nook likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is arguing there is such a thing as a clean war or a precise war?

I agree we need to understand everything involved in getting into a direct conflict but I don't understand why you think we should just let Putin do what he wants because of fear, that is exactly what he had planned for.

Nook, AleksandarN and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Air show to boost troop morale?
    A crop-dusting campaign with napalm?

Two Sandwiches and jiggyfly like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about Russian nuclear weapons? Putin could easily launch nukes into Ukraine as a statement - something that won't provoke a retaliatory nuclear strike but a clear message that he is willing to use Nukes. A lot more people can get killed that way.

We aren't appeasing Russia, the sanction put in place are devastating to its economy and a legitimate form of warfare. The best we can do is draw a line in the sand and back it up by placing NATO forces in places we don't want him to invade next. But Ukraine is a lost cause. Moldova is for the taking as well. But that's it. He can't invade Finland as it is not flat plane like Ukraine is.

Like I said, where was all this when Russia invade Georgia? Why is it ok for them to reclaim other countries but now all of a sudden Ukraine is not? Russian and its proxies conducted ethnic cleansing in Georgia. Where was the outcry?

Ukraine was always a lost cause. Russia is taking it and there is nothing more anyone can do to stop Russia without risking a global catastrophe. The best we can do is fortify NATO countries and show Putin that attacking a NATO nation would be a very very bad idea. This is why NATO was created. Unfortunately, Ukraine was not a part of NATO and that is why we can not help it more.

6. riko

riko Member

As former paratrooper I can wish my Ukrainian brothers well

Nook, mikol13, AleksandarN and 3 others like this.
  7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Communist playbook is more along the lines of just cutting them off and starving them to death. Then you blame the weather or the farmers.

Nook likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I am saying if NATO got involved. Putin wouldn't launch nukes at NATO but he could launch one at Ukraine as a message. They will almost certainly starve Ukraine and punish anyone not seen as a loyalist.

9. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Alot of innocent people are going to die tonight I am afraid. Putin needs to go

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So just because nobody did anything about Georgia we should not do anything now?

Ukraine is not lost yet and Russia has garnered real pain by invading and is still incurring it.

I don't even know what you arguing about, I don't think we should send in troops or have a no fly zone but I sure as hell don't we should stop supporting Ukraine because it is a lost cause.

This story is not over by a long shot, there will be a conflict for a long while even if Russia declares victory.

Nook likes this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Chemicals?

12. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I donated to medical teams on the ground. I paid my federal taxes. Is there anything else I can do to support Ukraine against the Russian invasion?

mikol13 and B-Bob like this.
  14. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Pressure our governments to do more. I don’t know what else.

mikol13, Ubiquitin and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

What do you define supporting Ukraine beyond what is already being done - because what people are arguing for (and I against) are troop involvement and no fly zones.

16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ukraine existed. That was its crime.

Russia and China are going to burn down the Western World.

17. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Apparently, they don't have the patient this time. War crimes already documented.

19. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

If takes Ukraine he will be even more surrounded by NATO. The NATO thing is a ruse. He wants the old USSR countries back

Nook, AleksandarN and Blatz like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Only a couple of people are doing that and I never said anything else has to be done but you seem to think it's a lost cause which I strongly disagree with.

My issue is that you seem to think all of this is waste of time and we should just be using sanctions.

Nook likes this.