1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ukraine Protests

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Things are getting to the point where I think the situation is rapidly evolving on the ground---things are very fluid and dangerous right now.

Dozens have died, and parts of Kiev are in flames now.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/bl...-crisis-new-clashes-strain-truce-live-updates

I can only hope for peace---what are your thoughts?

2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hopefully the Ukraines can work this out without becoming a proxy struggle between the US and Russia.

Of course given the proximity next door as well as Russian speakers and ethnics in Ukraine Russia has much more legit interest than the US.

It would be sort of like the Russians backing one faction in Mexico against the US.

3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

How curious, glynch. I thought you'd be the kind of person who wouldn't like the idea of spheres of influences.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

As I've been reading it, it appears that The Ukraine was never a 'country' in the 1000 years before the break-up of the Soviet Union and now West Ukraine is ethnically different and Europe leaning and Eastern Ukraine is more ethnically Russian and Russian leaning.

Catalonia, Georgia, Basque, Bosnia, South Sudan..... someday there will be 1000 independent nations the size of Harris County. (simplicity evolves to complexity) The good news is that they can only fight tiny wars. (loss of potential)

5. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Wonder which countries, if any, would ever unite purposefully and peacefully...

6. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I'm surprised by the lack of outrage by the US and the scant media coverage of this long ordeal is pathetic.

7. SacTown

SacTown Member

It's bad. We are following closely. Have family there.

8. SacTown

SacTown Member

It can easily turn into a world war. As soon as Russia sends troops in there to meddle with Ukraine's business then France/Europe/Germany and the US will need to make a decision.

I have personal experience here and these Ukrainian politicians are basically Russians. They all steal money from the people, suppress them, the courts are corrupt, everything is done with bribes and Russia takes all of the natural resources it needs from Ukraine especially food as long as they keep giving these crooked politicians their money.

It's a poor poor country filled with Amazing people. Many of them have nothing to lose so they are all willing to die to get these crooks out of there and get away from Russia.

9. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There is zero chance that the Obama administration would send troops to confront a military action by Putin in Ukraine.

10. Dubious

Thailand, Pakistan, Georgia, Venezuela, Catalonia, Syria, Sudan, Libya, The South China Sea, Egypt, Palestine, Waziristan, Kurds in Iraq

The State Department is probably running pretty thin

11. SacTown

SacTown Member

If Putin puts troops into an independent country and and abuses the people there? How could Obama not? How could France/Germany not? And if France/Germany does so first, how could Obama not back them up?

You have to remember, Ukraine is not part of Russia at all what so ever. It is an independent country. What if Russia put troops in Argentina? Or some other non related country? It's the same thing.

This Ukraine thing, IMO is much bigger than Thailand, Pakistan, Georgia, Venezuela, Catalonia, Syria, Sudan, Libya, The South China Sea, Egypt, Palestine, Waziristan, Kurds in Iraq.... Mainly because of Russia's influence.

12. Dubious

Half he people, the ones in the East, actually want to be part of Russia

13. SacTown

SacTown Member

That's not really the case. A more accurate statement would be, "The Russians living in Ukraine want to be part of Russia". There are so many Russians in there especially in govt and corporate type jobs they have major reasons for wanting to stay under Russian protection. Also the older/soviet generation wants to be part of Russia because they just don't know any better.

This sums up what the true Ukrainian people want, many in both the East and West. This particular girl is from Kiev, which is in the East:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hvds2AIiWLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ukraine is looking kind of screwed. That they had more street violence hours after a declaration of a truce says to me these 'opposition leaders' lost their authority to speak for the opposition. Their radical elements have essentially screwed the pooch on this one. There will be no settlement now and I rather expect an effective crackdown by Ukrainian and Russian troops and an even harder swing for Ukraine into Russia's sphere of influence.

All the US and Europe can do is condemn Russia's actions in the UN. To counter Russia militarily would be brinksmanship. Even putting trade sanctions on Russia would be dangerous. I don't expect we're ready to pay the costs just for Ukraine.

15. Dubious

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The protesters seem to be fueling at least some of the violence... Graphic image link

17. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

and of course Obama is nowhere to be seen

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you believe that the US or Western Europe will put troops in Ukraine to counter Russian troops I have some Texans championship jerseys to sell you.

The US and Western Europe will raise a diplomatic stink but there is no way they will militarily confront a nuclear armed country that while not the superpower it once was still has a lot of power.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ideologically I agree with the protesters and hope the Ukraine can take a western direction but after reading reports of that Neo Nazis and far right nationalists I am not comfortable supporting the protesters.