1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UH Ranked as High as #24

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by PhiSlammaJamma, Nov 8, 2005.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Time. Penders must be buying players off. I love it. We are back on the map. This is pretty exciting. Houston opens with Florida Tech in 2 weeks. I'm countin the W.

Cougars Ranked 24th By ESPN Expert In Preseason Top 25 Men's Basketball Poll ESPN's Peter Newmann lists Houston 24th in his national poll.

Oct. 14, 2005

Houston - It has not taken second-year head coach Tom Penders long to gain national attention for his University of Houston men's basketball team as the Cougars are ranked among the nation's top 24 teams according to ESPN's Peter Newmann.

Newmann has the Cougars ranked 24th, one of two Conference USA teams in his poll. He selected Duke as his preseason top-ranked team, with Texas, Villanova, Gonzaga and Oklahoma rounding out his Top Five teams. Newmann ranked Michigan State No. 6, with his other Top 10 teams being Connecticut, Boston College, Memphis and Louisville. They are followed by Kentucky, West Virginia, Stanford, UCLA, Iowa, Alabama, Wake Forest, Syracuse, Kansas, George Washington, Iowa State, Miami, Arizona, Houston and Nevada.

Houston is ranked 36th overall out of 40 teams by a pool of ESPN experts that includes Andy Katz, Pat Forde, Doug Gottlieb, Jay Bilas, Fran Franchilla, Joe Lunardi, Ed Greney, Jeff Shelman, Dave Revsine, Rece Davis, Newman, Nick Loucks, Howie Schwab, Dan Steir and Andy Glockner.

Houston began its preseason practice officially Friday night in Hofheinz Pavilion with Penders welcoming back four starters and three lettermen from last season's 18-14 team. Seven highly talented newcomers that make up one of the nation's Top 13 recruiting classes join them.

The returning starters include junior point guard Lanny Smith, a preseason All-Conference USA selection, along with seniors Brian Latham, Ramon Dyer and Sergio de Randamie. Other returning players include senior guard Chris Lawson, a part-time starter from last season, redshirt sophomore Andrew Francis and senior forward Darrius Brannon.

[​IMG]

The new Cougars include junior college transfers Oliver Lafayette, Tristan Martin, Jahmar Thorpe and Richard Young, combined with freshmen Emmanuel Adeife, Corey Bloom and Lamar Roberson.

Houston opens the 2005-06 season on November 22, when the Cougars play host to Florida Tech. The Cougars will battle against two other preseason nationally-ranked teams. Houston plays host to No. 8 Arizona on December 3 at 6:00 p.m., and ends the regular season at No. 13 Memphis on March 4. The Cougars also play home games against Sam Houston State on December 10, North Texas on December 23, Rhode Island on December 27, McNeese State on December 31 and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on January 7 before opening their Conference USA schedule with a game at Rice on Jan. 11.

http://uhcougars.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101405aaa.html

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Houston
    Top three: PG Lanny Smith, SF Ramon Dyer, SG Brian Latham.

NIT or bust: The Cougars are getting much love nationally as a breakthrough team, but it's hard to envision them returning to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1992. Not one year after losing scoring leader Andre Owens. Tom Penders brought in another monster recruiting class, but it's loaded with junior college transfers, and there's just no telling how good any of them will be. Penders says it's the best class he has ever signed, anywhere. And he might be right. But he's quite a salesman, that Tom Penders. We'll believe it when we see it. Meantime, Lanny Smith is good enough to lead this team -- whoever's on it -- into the C-USA top third.
    http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9029751

3. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

So... how does UH relate to the Texans, Astros or the Comets? :D

I am glad to see that Tom Penders doing well for UH though.

4. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

as much as i would love to see UH basketball prosper again, it isn't going to be long term with tom penders. he's bad news everywhere he goes as far as rules violations. he did it at texas and at GW, it's going to happen at houston. he'll have to resign or get fired.

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Hey, short-term is better than no-term.

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

UH should win 20 plus games this year and make in the the tourneys. They got 7 new players who all are very good and they have a future pro in Lanny Smith.

7. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I'm blown away that they are still able to get talent to come play in that dump they call home court.

8. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

short term is okay, but would you really rather have a quick fix that will fall apart and leave you with a lot of problems that could set your program back 3-4 years or the find the right guy right now and get it done for the long term? short term fixes rarely give you what you want anyway, you don't win championships overnight, might as well find the right guy to begin with.

9. insane man

insane man Member

but if you can make it to the dance it'll fix a lot of problems.

10. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

What's wrong with Hofheinz? When that place is full, it is loud.

Unless you feel like throwing $400 milllion towards a new arena, then I say stopping hating the Cougars home court. Better yet, if you decide to throw $400 million at UH, there are better places to spend the money then on a basketball arena.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yeah like a fence with razor wire surrounding the campus for protection. I really hate going over there to watch Rice whoop up on the Coogs, especially after dark.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

^ Bigtexx, isn't there a Owls fan board you can go and hangout? You obviously hate every school in TX except the Owls, which I don't blame you, everyone loves their alma mater.

BTW, Rice has a basketball team? What for? :confused:

13. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I didn't know you left your guarded, walled compounded. You know it is dangerous on the outside. Criminals, evacuees and liberals roaming the streets.

See what happens when you spend too much time "between the hedges". You forget how rough life is in the outside world.

The UH area looks pretty good today. I remember what it looked like in the 1970's.

14. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Code:
    Team   	             Postseason
    1. Memphis 	     NCAA
    [b][i]2. UTEP 	     NCAA[/b][/i]
    3. UAB 	             NIT
    [b][i]4. Houston 	     NIT[/b][/i]
    5. Central Florida   None
    6. Rice 	     None
    7. SMU 	             None
    8. Southern Miss     None
    9. Tulane 	     None
    10. Tulsa 	     None
    11. East Carolina    None
    12. Marshall 	     None
    http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9029751

Booyah! :D

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The surrounding neighborhoods are UH's greatest resource. When I lived there, there were off-the-grid liquor stores and bodegas all over the place. A seven-year-old wouldn't get carded. We would often stop and chat with the locals and they were usually quite friendly. Just regular folks after the same weekend stuff we were: Weed, booze and poon. I guess some people may prefer to head over to Rice Village and "get wild" at Little Woodrows or something, but the hood always treated me good.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I can't wait...I think we all agree this is s-t, but damn, this is exciting again...Tourney, here we come...

17. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i visited U of H back in 2002 after i graduated from HS and it was okay. that was my second choice after Tx. State. the neighborhood isn't the greatest...okay, it's awful but it's not too much different from the ones where i spent a lot of my childhood summers at in san jacinto and pasadena, so i wan't too uncomfortable. the campus is nice, not pretty like UT or like Tx. State but still attractive. they should be able to recruit much better than what they have been doing. if they could just get the 2nd tier players from houston, they would be in the ncaa's every year. i don't know if they will ever get the 1st tier guys like TJ Ford, Daniel Gibson, etc. away from the Texas's and North Carolina's of the world, but they should still get impact players from that city full of talent.

18. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

What Hakeem06 said.

The Cougs should be able to get the Dion Dowells and Lanny Smiths of the world. Lanny was a great pickup for the Cougs. Of course, Penders is probably violating a few rules, but if he can get away with it now and get the program going, it should be exciting.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

And why would that be?

UH is a safer campus, in terms of crime-per-capita, than A&M, UT, and Tech.

Maybe you're just shakin' in your Banana Republic khakis because of all the hair braiding salons, fried chicken stands, and rim shops in the area.

Third Ward; it's a way of life.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL, bigtexxx, shaking in his F150, cowering in fear of the scary inner city people. You're right though. Since Houston is near the geographic center longitude of the country, it is definitely right in middle of the East Coast/West coast Rap War battleground and likely bullets are flying as we speak. YOu may want to keep your head down, way down.

#20 SamFisher, Nov 10, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2005