1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UH lands spot in new basketball tourney

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ryan17wagner, Mar 16, 2008.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Coach Tom Penders’ Houston Cougars didn’t land the program’s first NCAA Tournament berth since 1992, but they found out Saturday that they will indeed be playing in the postseason.

The Cougars instead will play in the inaugural College Basketball Invitational tournament, against an unnamed opponent.

"Tom and the players indicated to me that they were anxious to play another game, and I fully support them in this," said University of Houston athletics director Dave Maggard. "We have accepted an invitation to play in the CBI, and I’ve been told (by the organizers) that we will play a name opponent."

The CBI, organized by the Gazelle Group, is the same company that produces the 2K Sports College Hoops Classic (which benefits the Coaches vs. Cancer). Opening-round games will be played Tuesday and Wednesday.

The Cougars will open the tournament on the road, with host teams playing on their home courts. The 16-team tournament will feature a single-elimination format through the first two rounds and semifinals, but the championship will decided by a best-of-three series, with the higher-seeded team hosting the first game and, if necessary, the third.

"Given the choice between the two (the CBI and the NIT), I would much prefer the CBI," Penders said. "They are trying to get the best field they can possibly get, and they’ll get their field filled before the NIT does.

"It’s an honor that they (the tournament organizers) thought that highly of us. It does take the mystery out of (Selection) Sunday, though."

Led by senior guard Robert McKiver, the Cougars finished the season 22-9, losing 80-77 to UTEP Thursday in the quarterfinals of the Conference USA tournament.

"I’m excited," Penders said. "This is something a little different, something that’s cutting edge."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5622751.html

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's going to be hard for a 3rd postseason college b-ball tourney to be relevant.

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

With the new NIT rule of having regular season champions that lose in their conference tournaments (and don't make the NCAAT) having guaranteed bids to the NIT, I think this new tournament might actually gain some traction. The NIT will get filled with multiple teams from small conferences that no one cares about. I think you might actually see this tournament end up with more big-conference and big-name schools than the NIT. Either way, I think the best 2 of 3 championship round is a novel idea. I think one of the biggest weaknesses of the NCAAT is that, while extremely exciting, the single elimination format does not guarantee the best team wins.

4. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

the Cougars will open the CBI at Nevada on Tuesday. And it only took until 12:15 a.m. to get the news! The game will be played at 8 p.m. central time and will be televised Fox College Sports.

The Wolfpack finished 21-11 this season, losing to New Mexico State in the WAC tournament semifinals.

Yep, I know all of the Murphbloggers will be scrambling to fill out the office-pool brackets now it's official. For you nightowls, here's the brackets:

East Regional

March 18

(4) Richmond @ (1) Virginia, 7:00 PM ET

March 18

(3) Rider @ (2) Old Dominion, TBA

West Regional

March 18

(3) Houston @ (2) Nevada, 9:00 PM ET

March 19

(4) Valparaiso @ (1) Washington, 9:00 PM ET

Midwest Regional

March 18

(3) Brown @ (2) Ohio, TBA

March 19

(4) Cincinnati @ (1) Bradley, 7:00 PM ET

South Regional

March 19

(4) Utah @ (1) Texas- El Paso, TBA

March 19

(3) Miami, OH vs. (2) Tulsa, Time TBA

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The winner of this crazy tourney should play the McDonald's All American HS team.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The NIT has the better teams and TV coverage.

In the CBI, if you pay $60k, you are the higher seed and get to host a game.

7. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

So in other words, UH didn't get an invite to the NIT and is lucky to get invited to this video game sponsored tournament with no history at all.

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Is Penders getting fired any time soon?

9. Smokey

I like the best 2 out of 3 championship series. One potential match up is UTEP vs. UH.

10. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I love my Cougars like a fat boy loves cake (and I am a fat boy so I know).

But even I have a little trouble getting pumped about possibly having 6 games between UH and UTEP. I mean its not quite North Carolina Vs Duke.

That said I will be watching this on the Ocho tommorrow at least after Rox Celts is over.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've always thougfht Tom would get us to a certain point recrutuing wise and competitivewise and then hand it off to a younger big name ( abridge as it were)....then it's game over...perrenial top 20 ranking for a long time.Just get the local talent to stay at home.

12. amorephd

amorephd Member

[FOX 26] UH'S ROBINSON TURNS DOWN TSU AD JOB

...this just in...

"Like I told Dr. Rudley, for him to consider me and offer me an opportunity to work at TSU, is an honor," Robinson said. "I grew up in this area and I know what great work TSU has done in the past and can do in the future. That is what me made look at this."

...more on the story...

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

...amorephd...

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I was wondering why I didn't see them in the NIT schedule...Well, i will say its hard to get pumped up at anything after the disasterous end to the season...

but they're still my Coogs...

14. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Make it so!

15. rrj_gamz

Coogs
    Well, at least they won...

16. Smokey

I predict if the rules for this tournament don't change it will die in a few years. Last night, after the $60k guarantee, every team should have lost money...no one sold out with Nevada's 4,200 something being the best attendance. A couple of schools didn't break 2,000.

If Valpo wins, who will host?

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I assume UH will since they're seeded 3rd and Valpo is seeded 4th in their little quarter of the bracket.

18. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

ELITE 8, BABY!!!!!!!

19. Smokey

Valpo vs. UH, Monday night at Hofheinz!

20. rrj_gamz

Yeah, tonight at 8pm...

UH: 69

Valpo: 65