1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ugly Knickball / Playoff Pressure

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Juugie, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Juugie

Juugie Member

I know the players did not play smart or hard enough to win.

But this is one of the things that I was worried about when JVG was hired.

The Knicks were NEVER a good offensive team when he coached them. I live in NY so I know. They always had trouble scoring and ran a very unimaginitive offense that more likely than not boiled down to Spree or Houston isolating on a wing.

The Rockets were a good defensive team last year. This year they are much better. But the offense isn't better at all.

Look at the difference of the offenses played tonight. Sloan has installed an offense with plenty of motion that gets players good shots.

We either post, pick and roll, or iso. Sound familiar? Not much has REALLY changed since last year.

When your offense is hurting you bring in someone who will install a better offense. Larry Brown would have been a much better candidate.

The Rockets are playing ugly, Knickball offense that relies on holding teams under 80 points to win.

Their games are almost unwatchable.

Also, I think the pressure of feeling like you MUST make the playoffs this year has sucked all of the joy from this team. Does any of the Rockets even look like they are having fun this year to you?

How about we all back up, remember that it is, after all, just a games, and let the guys go out and play hard but have fun.

Maybe the games will become fun to watch again.

2. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

You have a great point. Alot of the Rox games in which they WIN are unwatchable. I just don't get why we can't run a motion type offense like some of the other elite teams.

3. reptilexcq

reptilexcq Member

Maybe the Rox should abandon the JVG offensive system and adopt the Kings style, then ROx will be scoring in a bunch and their defense still solid. Wait..that ain't going to work, if you're playing Dallas and Sac style, the defense will sux as well. Maybe that's why the ROckets struggled offensively, cuz they're playing good defense. You ain't have both way, that's the nature of the game i guess.

4. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

Just wondering, but shouldn't good defense lead to easier offense? When your oppenents are turning the ball over or missing shots that should lead to easy baskets. But since we have no REAL PGs.....uh nevermind:(