1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC 117] Silva vs. Sonnen

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RoxSqaud, Aug 2, 2010.

?

Who ya got taking this one?

1. Anderson Silva

67 vote(s)
    85.9%
  2. Chael Sonnen

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

Repped for Fedor respect. Guy fights dudes who are heavier than him and goes to war with them instead of dancing like a little girl. Goes undefeated for nearly a decade and then loses one fight because he made a miscalculation against an elite BJJ artist and suddenly he falls off the P4P perch and might not be the best ever? If Fedor did was Silva did and fought for a decision against Werdum he could have just danced when Werdum was on the ground and eventually won a decision or knocked him out.

2. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

I like Fedor too, but wish he get more better competition like fighting overeem, too bad he can't come into the UFC soon, I personally believe, thats where the overall best fighters go and Fedor should go, that's what keeps him from being number 1 pound for pound in my books 1. Even though he fought good amounts of people, you still wanna see him fight even better competitors 2. He's not in the UFC

You see the best basketball players in the world playing in the NBA,
    Even baseball, and ect.

I hope he will be in the UFC soon, before he gets old.

3. Wakko67

Wakko67 Member

Its crazy that up until recently the HW div in UFC was a joke and the same people who say Fedor has fought no one were on the brock bandwagon after a 2-1 record vs basically no one.

Brock tapped against Mir and got roughed up pretty good by Carwin before his non-existent endurance was gone. Yet people are ready to crown this dude. I look forward to what Cain does to him.

That said, Fedor is a legend and has earned that title. Credit to Dana White for people even questioning that.

4. Asian Sensation

Mir got lucky with that submission just like how Werdum caught Fedor.

I was on the Lesnar bandwagon from day 1 because he is a freak athlete with size, strength, cardio and world class wrestling. What was surprising was his actual fighting skills. They were much better than I had anticipated and he's always improving in that regard.

I think Carwin is the hardest hitting heavyweight and rivals Fedor in terms of stand up striking (punches) and Brock was able to survive Carwin's best. I honestly thought Carwin was going to win via TKO and everything I thought was going to happen almost happened until he ran out of gas. Anybody else besides Brock would have been dead meat with Carwin raining bombs from the top.

I honestly think Brock would be too much for Fedor. I don't even know if Fedor can handle Overeem. Again no disrespect to Fedor but he's never faced this new breed of Super Heavyweights (Lesnar, Cain, Overeem) Huge, athletic guys who are skilled and can take hits because they weren't around to face Fedor before. I know Fedor's beaten and laid the wood on guys a lot bigger than him but can you honestly say any of them are elite? He faced 2 guys who used to be really good (Nog and Cro Cop) he won but he didn't finish the fights. The rest of his opponents are all mediocre to garbage.

As for Cain he's not going to be able to do anything to Lesnar. Lesnar is going to run through Cain like a rag doll. Cain's not strong enough or big enough. I like Cain and I think he's very well rounded but Lesnar is in another class. Easy victory for Lesnar. Carwin would destroy Cain just as easily as well.

Heavyweight rankings IMO.

1) Lesnar
    2) Carwin
    3) Fedor
    4) Overeem
    5) Cain
    6) Werdum

I think 1-4 can all beat each other on any given night and I don't think ones head and shoulders above another. You could switch up the top 4 and I'd have no qualms. However, I really don't think Cain or Werdum have a real shot against beating any of the guys ahead of them without getting lucky and hitting the jackpot like Werdum did against Fedor. Absolute fluke.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpcB-TGjArs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rpcB-TGjArs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

6. sew

sew Member

anyone else watch the countdown?

Junior's wife is a hottie:

[​IMG]

7. London'sBurning

Fedor has beaten some of the best kickboxers in the world, Olympic medalists judokas, wrestlers, and ADCC Mundial winners while riding a 32 (not counting the Kohsaka loss that should be NC) win streak. No other fighter in any division can make that claim. GSP and Silva have been caught by far inferior fighters to them in the past. Fedor avoided losses to inferior fighters 32 times.

I do think Fedor is past his prime, but I don't think there's a new breed of HWs Fedor is scared of like Rogan and Dana would make you believe. They're bigger maybe, but they don't put anything new on the table that MMA hasn't seen before.

About the comment in bold the last time Rogan made that claim about the new breed of HWs fatty Mike Russow KTFO Todd Duffee. These huge guys with swole physiques gas out quick. I think Fedor could exploit that. I think Cain is going to be the guy to beat Lesnar BTW. He's 240 lbs. with incredible cardio and a more dynamic wrestling base than Lesnar. His chin has been tested and I think he has what it takes to wear Lesnar out over 5 rounds.

8. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Cain is going to be treated like a child when he steps in the right with brock.

9. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

ring* fixed

10. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

sounds exactly like sonnen, what a loser. has a hispanic accent my ass. this guy is the biggest troll ever.

11. Asian Sensation

Are you seriously labeling Todd freaking Duffee a super heavyweight and putting him in the same class as Lesnar, Carwin and Overeem? If so LOL. When I say super heavyweight I mean guys with actual skill and all around game with no glaring weaknesses. Duffee has more holes than swiss cheese in his mma game.

These huge swole guys gas out quick because they're super heavyweights. They're not built to fight 5 rounds and frankly a lot of them probably don't train super hard for their cardio because they know the chances of their fights going even 3 rounds is slim.

I highly doubt Fedor can exploit the cardio weakness because the three guys I mentioned are so much bigger than Fedor. If those guys get exhausted Fedor will be equally if not more gassed.

Cain is 240-245 pounds tops. Brock walks around at 280 pounds plus and he has to cut just to get to the 265 every time. There's a huge difference in size, power and strength between him and Cain.

What exactly is a "more dynamic wrestling base" ?? Cain was an All American Div 1 wrestler. Lesnar was Div 1 CHAMPION. Big difference. So please do tell what exactly you mean by having a more dynamic wrestling base. :confused:

Cain may have better Cardio than Lesnar but it won't matter cause like I said the fights not going past 2 rounds. I'd be shocked if Cain survives round 1. Who exactly has Cain tested his chin against? Nog? Rothwell? Kongo? LOL those guys all suck.

I'll make a $50 tip jar bet with you that Lesnar wins and I'll make a $25 side bet that Lesnar wins in the first round.

Cain's gonna get ****ed up.

12. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

totally agree

13. solid

solid Member

Sonnen is absolutely great at promoting a fight; Silva is absolutely great at beating people up. Sonnen won't make it out of the first round.

14. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Sonnen sure can talk up a fight, but he is such a dork.
    He talks so much it makes me sleepy.

15. Realjad

Realjad Member

Did anyone see the pre fight presser, the press guy completley owned a cocky Sonnen.

Sonnen - "I don' get critisized for what I say, I get praised for what I say. When I ran for public office I got 99.6% of the vote."

Press Guy - "Um, was that the one where you ran un-opposed?"

Silence, Sonnen knows he got owned

Sonnen - "That.. yeah that is correct.."

hahaha that was gold

16. London'sBurning

I was actually quoting Rogan and Goldberg who love to hype up the "new breed of super HWs" that included Todd Duffee.

The only thing I was really impressed with in the Carwin vs Lesnar fight is Lesnar's chin. However he ran into a corner and laid in the fetal position while Carwin blasted away at him. He wasn't trying to pull off some form of an Ali rope-a-dope. He was holding on for dear life and was lucky that Carwin's gas tank is so short. Come round 2, I think almost any HW in UFC could have gotten that choke on Carwin given how tired he was.

Lastly people love to say Brock fights at 285 but its not true. I've even read people say that he fights at 300 lbs which is even more ridiculous. His fighting weight at UFC 100 was 275 and at UFC 116 his fighting weight was actually 265. He's cleaned up his diet considerably since the diverticulitis scare. He may have been 285 or even 300 lbs. back in his roided WWE days but those days are over.

I don't ever bet with money but I'd be up for a sig bet of some sort with you about who will win between Cain and Lesnar. Lesnar has only beaten one person in the first round by the way and that was before entering UFC.

17. Asian Sensation

So basically you're admitting Lesnar has an impressive chin. Combine that with world class wrestling, size, strength and power with a good standing striking game to boot. That makes it really difficult to beat him. Unless you're able to submit him.

I never said Brock fights at 300 or even 275 for that matter. I said he walks around at 275 + as in his "off months" when he doesn't have to cut to make weight.

Cain is about as big, lean and strong as he can get. There's no way for him to add pure mass/weight without adding a substantial amount of fat. He's topped out.

If you saw the Fedor vs Rogers fight and Overeem vs. Rogers fight you know what I'm talking about when I say the difference in size and power is too hard to overcome.

Fedor vs Rogers was a pretty even match until Fedor landed that huge KO punch.

Overem vs Rogers was very one sided. Overeem overpowered Rogers (who's not a small or weak guy by any means) and literally through him to the ground like a rag doll...got on top of him and destroyed him. Total domination. Much more impressive than Fedor's victory.

I'm totally down for a SIG bet at the least.

18. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTGicqLgIe4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jTGicqLgIe4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

19. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

It's almost time!

20. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

I've said this before. Don't sleep on Cain Velasquez. His stand-up is miles ahead of Brock's and he will exploit him on the feet. Sure, Brock will get him down, but then what is he going to do? Cain has a great chin and solid BJJ plus he will always be looking to get back to his feet. He is going to tire Brock out and finish him in the later rounds.

Also, Brock's wrestling is hardly dynamic. His MMA wrestling is pretty basic. He uses his power and athleticism to shoot double legs. He doesn't have a wide variety of wrestling technique. That said, he doesn't really need it, but Cain's a great wrestler as well and when Brock is tired he will definitely be able to keep the fight standing and exploit Brock.