1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC 117] Silva vs. Sonnen

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RoxSqaud, Aug 2, 2010.

?

Who ya got taking this one?

1. Anderson Silva

67 vote(s)
    85.9%
  2. Chael Sonnen

11 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i got your point, but we are talking about mma. i also agree with your point about silva not fighting people at his level, but how many guys out there exist at 185?

he was supposed to be fighting vitor before he got hurt and vitor is an amazingly skilled striker. so that's 1. vitor's problem has always been consistency, but i think he would beat the crap out of silva.

at light heavyweight, there is shogun and potentially jon jones. both of these matchups intrigue me. i wouldn't mind seeing rampage v silva if he could get his act together. i think rashad could beat silva in a decision since he is as fast and could get takedowns, but nowhere near the striker. at the same time i could see him getting tooled by anderson like he did against machida. so that's 4 potential matchups at lhw. but.....anderson has come out and said recently that he doensn't want to fight lhw because he doesn't want to fight shogun since they trained together.

lhw is where it is at for anderson, but he won't fight there.

2. sew

sew Member

Hate Sonnen all you want, but I agree with everything in this vid.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

sorry, but silva's bs dancing around doesn't make him the best fighter in the world. shogun would make anderson look like a tool.

4. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

meh... shogun tapped to forrest griffen 5 fight ago, lost to machida 2 fights ago...NEXT

5. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Shogun wasn't Shogun when he lost to Forrest.

and everybody knows Shogun won both fights against Machida...destroying him in fight 2.

but...with that said...anybody can get on a hot streak...take Machida for example. Looks like he is unbeatable and Shogun stops him in the first round.

Anderson has clicked off 11 straight wins. Undefeated in the Octagon.

He is not the best just because Dana says he is....he's the best because he proves it every time he fights. I seen the Maia fight....and still stand by my opinion.

When he destroys Sonnen in 4 days....maybe some will agree.

"I've chosen to be a fighter. After the fight, Chael will have a different idea of what choice he wants to make." - Anderson Silva

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Lol did you even watch the first machida fight? That was a horrible decision.

And lol at griffin....shogun had a bum knee going into the fight and during training and shouldn't have even fought. Since he got his acl reconstructed he has won a lhw title and is in prime shape.

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol sonnen is the ultimate troll! 4chan has nothing on him!

http://www.mmamania.com/2010/8/3/1603328/ufc-quick-quote-chael-sonnen-says

8. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I don't think I could cheer for Sonnen even if I wanted to. When he talks, it always comes off so tool-ish. As with Silva he always comes off nice and happy (most of the time, from what I have seen), though it is kind of funny how he always doesn't speak english to good when asked something a bit off the grid.
    But as a fight, I think Silva is going to win, impressive and quite possible the best p4p.

9. Commodore

Commodore Member

Sonnen may talk trash, but he's the most articulate and interesting person to listen to in MMA. He is great for the sport.

This is funny:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rj7dmJ8_SE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rj7dmJ8_SE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

10. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

Whether Anderson silva is the best striker in the world or not, you have to say he may be the best well rounded fighter. ever.(regardless of his last fight)

11. Asian Sensation

In regards to Silva....

Best striker in the world? Hardly.

Best striker in the UFC? Probably.

Best middleweight striker in the UFC? Clearly.

Silva looks like such a great striker in the UFC because everyone else's striking in the UFC is really that mediocre/subpar.

The only guy that may give Silva a run for his money is Vitor Belfort. Belfort only because he has the speed and KO power; combination to catch Silva. Speaking of Belfort he will FINALLY get his shot against Silva next. I think this is where Silva's run will end.

I'd really love to see Anderson Silva vs. Jon "Bones" Jones at a 195 catchweight fight. I think there 2 styles and speed would make for an uber exciting fight. I doubt that happens though since Bones is being coddled to become the the next LHW champ and future face of the UFC.

12. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

^

I'm definitely on the Jon Jones bandwagon.

[​IMG]

13. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

I am surprised nobody mentioned that Silva is the most accurate striker in UFC history.

Combine that with his excellent speed, it makes him one of the most dangerous fighters in the UFC. Power is nice, but it does not rule all if you cannot land it cleanly....Anderson is up there with the best in the business regarding counter-punching because he never takes a clean shot and always delivers a precise counter.

Lastly, he did some training with Steven Seagal which looked pretty legit. If he keeps training with him after this fight, I think it will be bad news for everyone in his way. Like this guy needs anymore tools to bring to the cage.....

Silva training with Seagal

(Had some embedding issues, but if you haven't seen this you should watch it)

14. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

I really believe Jones is good going on great, but he's definitely not worthy yet of a title contention, I believe he has more fighters to face at light heavyweight before any title contention talks start.

15. Asian Sensation

There's a reason why Dana and UFC are taking their time with him and making him fight scrubs and headline freaking Versus. They don't want him to lose and they're building him up. He's not worthy yet of title contention only because the LHW division is so stacked. I think he could definitely compete with the upper-echelon guys (Rua, Evans, Machida, Rampage, lil nog etc) right now if it really boiled down to it.

They're milking Bones right now to set up a super fight in the future.

16. Chamillionaire

Silva has been the best fighter, striker in his weight class. we could argue him being the best fighter in the UFC now. no doubt about it. his weight class isn`t the strongest though.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6D-_jAIvqs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i6D-_jAIvqs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

he can definitely be beaten. the first time i heard of him was fighting here in japan. i knew he was good, but not this good.

he fights well against grapplers. and at the top of his weight class, there are some good grapplers. Maia being one of them.

this fight will be just like his last one against Maia.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i hope thiago silva is next if he can get healthy. would be a good step up and a good match up.

18. London'sBurning

I still think Fedor is the GOAT. He fights guys that outweigh him all the time. His last loss came from being overconfident on the ground against the best BJJ HW in the world. If he fought like Silva did vs. Leites and Maia and kept it standing he'd have eventually beaten Werdum.

1 person likes this.
  19. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Member

No way Bones makes 195... He walks around at 230, and he said his body is still growing, plus he is still needs to put some muscle on those legs of his... He has even talked about wanting to fight at HW. I would love to see it at 205, but Bones needs to develop his striking a little more before he gets thrown in against the Spider

20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

His last fight (live on Versus) was awesome - the dude is pure excitement even when he is striking from the ground.

I'll join you on the bandwagon.