1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Udoka Assistant Coach Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, May 5, 2023.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I sure hope so.

wlekfjv923n and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Need Borrego to join the staff

Just seen we missed out on him d@&$

#122 Rudyc281, Jun 5, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, assuming Jalen Green and Jabari Smith turn into Tatum and Brown.

In all honesty, Udoka will give the Rockets some sort of forced outcome on this group of Rockets players.... Udoka is tough and is genuinely someone that doesn't fear conflict, and has the gravity as a man to engender respect from current and former players, and Udoka has a lot of structure to what he does. There is a reason he wants to bring in his own people, because they are all familiar with the culture that Udoka is going to insist on. The staff under Silas was a mess, because Stone threw a lot of different culture guys together and hoped they would compliment each other and it doesn't work that way. Having Silas and Stone allow the players to do anything, neutered Lucas and Hollins and Abfelfattah.... and is why several assistants left before last season even started.

While I have not always been the biggest Stone supporter, I will give him credit for how he handled the coaching search. He got a commitment from Udoka BEFORE all the prime openings like the Bucks and Suns emerged. He also has agreed to let Udoka pick his staff, which shows growth.

Either Will Weaver or Abdelfattah would be an excellent addition if Aaron Miles does not come aboard.

I also like that Udoka wants to have some additions to the analytical department from OUTSIDE the organization.

I still think the Rockets need a VP or President that either was a former coach or long time player - the Rockets need more people that know the players and actual X's and O's involved.

4. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with this in general, but there is very little positive that came out of the prior regime. I would guess they will keep Lucas, because he knows the players well and wasn't really in favor of a lot of the things that Silas did.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He needs to be a head coach somewhere. The Hornets were feeling themselves too much when he had them in the playoffs. Now they went back to rubble

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Could Lucas fill the VP role you speak of?

I would like to keep Lucas, if for nothing else other than i like and respect him. But if i could keep only one of Lucas or Abdelfettah, i would rather keep Abdelfettah.

Ideally, both get kept with Lucas in a more front office role. But im all about cleaning house outside of those 2.

We lost Nurse years ago in a similar way, and while Abdelfettah may not end up being a good long term HC, he still has a lot of that similar praise surrounding him that Nurse did.

AroundTheWorld and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Not understanding the love for Abdulfattah. Hearing great things from players about Lucas (including Jjames Harden) and silence on the other guy. Want Lucas with the players where he is best. Maybe keep both guys. Big loss on Borrego though.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Love that Udoka wants to bring in some people from outside the org. Needs FRESH EYES on this roster. And agree need more "brains" in the room with a VP. I don't trust Stone to player evaluate. He is a contracts guy. I trust Udoka and Eli on players.

Jags, BaselineFade, ashleyem and 4 others like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then we would have real fire works and not Tad Brown fireworks, good luck, Tad.

I know you are in Philly with Daryl.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed. Stone is good at being risk adverse, weighing cost and benefit - and he will tell you he played and understands the game - but I don't trust that either. Get smarts and some experience in the room.

11. Nook

Nook Member

The players and coaches that have worked with Abdulfattah speak very highly of him, that he is tough, innovative but players play hard for him because he coaches and works hard. He is also familiar with the most modern offenses and defenses. He also stands up for himself and his players. He is also likely a good cultural fit with Udoka.

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

IMG_5913.gif
    We don’t need Lucas for that. I don’t want guys running to him because he is a familiar face. Ime and his staff is more than capable holding players accountable. Plus, I want all coaches on the same page.

I’m sure Lucas played bad cop when he had to. I also don’t feel like he and Silas were on the same page. I don’t want that happening again.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's so subjective. They had a totally different roster. I think what we can expect is the same level of focus on accountability, defense, selflessness and shot selection. That should do wonders for this roster.

BaselineFade and Nook like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Ok with whatever, but I think a highly experienced offensive tactician is what we need for that 6th assistant role.

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m liking the assistant coaching hires and I 100% support Ime bringing in his own guys. We need a complete culture change and fresh start. The biggest factor in our success next year is what Stone does with the roster. Stone hasn’t shown he can build a good roster yet. I get that he wasn’t thinking about that much over the last 3 years, but now he’s got to show he can actually build a team. The assistants are there to support the coach so I trust Ime knows what he needs.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

so, this Paulo Alves kid - what's the story on him - does he post here?

he seems to be very anti-Sengun

17. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

One tweet says more than a thousand words

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

^^^^ Dumbass confirmed (Paulo)

“I would abso-****ing-lutely take Stephen Silas for 3 more years if I could have Scoot.”

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

That is the dumbest thing any human has ever said.

20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

I won't even do it for Wemby

AlperenSengun and Rudyc281 like this.