1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Udoka Assistant Coach Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, May 5, 2023.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As long as you like me, none of that matters.

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Nope. Clean house. I want no hold overs. I’m well aware of his history here, but we need a fresh outlook on everything.

3. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

PERFECT REPLY !!!!!!!!!!! Y

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Borrego to New Orleans
    Terry Stotts to Milwaukee
    Kevin Young staying in Phoenix

5. kpdark

kpdark Member

Borrego going to the Pelicans.

Any other candidates for lead assistant?

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I feel like they will offer John Lucas some kinda hybrid role im the front office.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

udoka seems to prefer those in his circle over others. this makes it tricky to predict because I don't think he'd want the best available random coach over the best available with ties to Portland or via the spurs network of coaches. furthermore udoka described the types of coaches he wants as "high energy, hands on, relationship based"

there's a good chance Sullivan or ivey will be the AHC and we'll find lesser known guys to fill out the rest of the vacancies. however if we wanted to look at who's available that fits the description udoka is looking for...

• Charles lee - spurs coaching tree through Bud. top HC candidate, but no ties to Portland and never worked with udoka...but just one degree of separation through Bud.
    • Chad Forcier - coached with udoka on the spurs. part of Bud's staff likely looking for a new job.
    • David Vanterpool - coached the blazers for 7 years, may have mutual connections to udoka in Portland. fits the bill of being hands on and relationship based.
    • Rex Kalamain - fits the "high energy, hands on, relationship based" description. Stone was interested in interviewing him for the HC spot. no ties to udoka through spurs or Portland but we know he was on stone's radar and is a FA with the pistons coaching change.
    • Jerome Allen - another FA due to the pistons coaching change. HC candidate, got some interviews recently. long time brad Steven's assistant who fits the hands on player development mold.
    • Dan Burke - one of the top defensive coordinators in the league. coach his coaching start in Portland so maybe he's got some mutual friends with udoka from being there. he's a FA due to the Sixers coaching change.
    • Sam Cassell - stone wanted to interview him for the HC vacancy so he's on stone's radar. FA due to the Sixers coaching change. fits the bill of high energy hands on relationship based coaching.

8. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Can’t believe I’m saying this, but we need to keep Lucas and make him assistant head coach. He is a tough disciplinarian just like Udoka and will thrive with the new coach. Heard an interview with Sengun and he confirmed that Silas was the softie and Lucas was tough as nails. Those improvements in our young players were all Lucas. He took Sengun out to dinner and ripped his game apart and told him what improvements had to be made and Sengun said he responded to the tough love. Big mistake if we don’t keep Lucas on the coaching staff (which we are expected to do).

clos4life, Ancient Moabite and saleem like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He picked his core values: moving the ball, keeping all five players as threats, valuing three-pointers, looking for the first quality opportunity. Fielding a pair of quick and crafty ball-handlers, he made splitting defenders off of high screens a staple. He allowed the screen-setters to roll to the bucket for offensive rebounds or dunks instead of spreading with the pick-and-pop as LaMarcus Aldridge did. With superb athletes on the roster, backdoor cuts are common occurrences. The ball heads towards the basket first even if the eventual shot comes from beyond the arc. That Stotts vowed not to abandon his approach when facing four new starters is one thing. That he was able to tweak that approach to suit the gifts of a new, and in some ways limited, roster is another entirely.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2016/3/...nd-trail-blazers-plays-coach-of-the-year-2016

[​IMG]

10. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Meh, who cares. Probably just some body to throw at guys during practice and I bet...
    https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...stant-cameron-hodges-player-development-coach
    AMEN WILL LEARN TO SHOOT! SO WILL SENGUN, JABARI, AND EVEN NIX!

(ok I guess there were probably a lot of guys that worked under Chip Engelland while he was with SAS, and they're probably not all top tier shooting coaches)

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He went to work with the 76ers after that. Apparently nobody can help Ben Simmons.

saleem and RC Cola like this.
  12. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Two legit shooting coaches on staff is better than just John Lucas...

cmoak1982, RasaqBoi and RC Cola like this.
  13. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Maybe these guys know exactly how to make major adjustments to a player's shot while he's got a minor injury.

Or maybe they'll just not do that.

14. Nook

Nook Member

John Lucas knew Silas wasn’t going to last. He tried to help Silas, but it was Silas’ ship to sink or sail.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think Rockets Legend Sam Cassell elbowed Silas out of the Celtics lead assistant job haha

Nook and RasaqBoi like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4340781/2023/06/05/jaylen-brown-houston-rockets-mailbag/

How likely is it that Ime (Udoka) brings back Mahmoud Abdelfattah and John Lucas II to fill out the rest of his coaching staff? How many coaches in total do you think he will have? Any potential big names left? — Johann D.

Since assuming his new position, Rockets head coach Ime Udoka has made no secret of his plans to fill out his new staff with several familiar faces from his “coaching tree” of sorts.

“We have some commitments,” he told reporters over the weekend. “And then obviously with some of the guys I brought to Boston, with them finishing up now, I can move along in the process and hopefully bring some of them here as well.”

Similar to his setup in Boston, I think Udoka will have six main assistant coaches on his staff, not counting the video coordinators and lower-level staffers. Former Brooklyn Nets assistant Royal Ivey was the first to join. While nothing has been officially signed yet, Udoka is confident in bringing in assistants Ben Sullivan, Garrett Jackson and Mike Moser over from Boston, multiple team sources told The Athletic. The jury is still out on Celtics assistant Aaron Miles, but is being strongly pursued and is expected to consider joining Udoka as well. In addition, Udoka is pursuing a non-Celtics name to fill out his bench, those sources said.

As it pertains to the futures of Abdelfattah and Lucas, because the Rockets have opted to keep things vague on the subject, we must attempt to read the tea leaves. These are educated guesses and I’m choosing my words very carefully.

We’ll start with Lucas. Given his position of influence on the team over the last few years and his track record in player development, there’s probably no one that has a better pulse on the roster. It’s been two months since the regular season ended and Lucas is still quite involved with the team’s day-to-day activities, with Udoka mentioning the former lead assistant has been coordinating Houston’s pre-draft workouts. That means something.

I’ve often said Lucas is grandfathered into the organization, and I still believe that. He commands a great deal of respect from players and front-office executives alike and does a good job of maximizing his role. Even if Udoka goes a different direction with his official coaching staff, I could see Lucas remaining with the organization in some capacity, perhaps in a role akin to a front-office liaison.

As for Abdelfattah: As I reported earlier, he spent time with the team during the draft combine last month in Chicago, but he also had numerous conversations with other teams and has legitimate interest elsewhere. Given his relationship with Houston’s young players and his coaching ability — his offensive acumen was often praised while he worked under former coach Stephen Silas — Abdelfattah would be a nice name and a familiar face to bridge the past and the future. But if Udoka is successful in bringing in his primary targets, Abdelfattah’s future might be on another team’s sidelines.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

THEY GOTTA GO THAT WAY!!!

[​IMG]

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So Udoka should be able to replicate his Boston results here with us since many feel he was the reason for the Celtics success - right?

20. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

You always want to keep 1-2 holdovers to make sure you understand how the organization works. Doesn't mean you have to continue any of the previous behaviors... but you need the institutional knowledge to prevent making historical mistakes. After a couple of seasons pass, then you can let go of the holdovers. This is how I manage the maquiladoras that I take over, although my timelines are much faster and my patience with the old employees is razor thin.