1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UDFA Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rocketpower2, May 10, 2014.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

His speed was questioned.

He came in to a combine 20 pounds lighter and about .2 seconds quicker than his game day weight/speed.

Assumption is that teams think he will get back to that weight and be the slow ILB he was in college. He probably needs to stay that weight/speed to be an effective player.

No risk/all reward.

2. Remii

Remii Member

What you said PLUS his coverage skills are questionable.

But yea. No risk. I think if nothing else he'll be good in helping to stop the run.

3. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Im talking about the amazing onside kick he did in he 4th.

4. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

and that's why rice will always be in the cusa while UH has moved on to a better conference..

5. Remii

Remii Member

Seattle may not be satisfied with Bruce Irvin and or concerned. They had 2-3 players suspended last year and Irvin was one of them.

But Seattle loads up on pass rushers and rotate them.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

yeah when I think of the real power conferences in America, I think of:

SEC
    Pac 12
    Big 10
    Big XII
    All American Conference (*snort*)

hint: one of those doesn't belong...

7. Remii

Remii Member

Marcus Williams is a guy we need to pan out. I don't see J-Jo being on this team after this season and Jackson will be a free agent and may not be worth paying to keep.

The Texans defense needs some playmakers in the secondary and other than Williams _ we don't have any.

8. Fantasma Negro

I have a feeling Williams is gonna make Joseph expendable. Dude is a legit cover corner with some speed. He might play himself into starting nickel corner by the end of camp, he's that good

9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

This mini talk of Marcus Williams led me to ask about him. A colleague of mine played DB at ND State. He played one year with Williams. He said the guy is an amazing athlete with great ball skills. He needs to work on his eyes, but he is a ball hawk. Williams could have played basketball too. I don't remember if I was told he actually did or if he could have hooped for college. Seems like he has the tools to succeed. I'm excited. The guy I spoke to said he agrees he will be a shutdown corner and can probably start this year based on talent alone. But there are some salaries that will probably start ahead of him

10. Remii

Remii Member

I don't know about nickel corner. I think he's an outside corner.

Thanks for sharing that.

There could be a reason he went undrafted. Running a slow 40, playing at a small school, and I also read on one scouting report (Bleacher's) that there was a lot of talent on his college defense so he could just be a good player on a great defense.

But that kid gets his hands on too many balls and received too many college accolades for me not to be excited about him. I think if he can get his foot in the door (by making the 53 man roster) and gets coached up he could be a starter next year. And he's possibly the only guy in this Texans free agent draft class that has the chance of becoming a every down defensive starter.

11. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Check out this guy, never heard of Sullivan Grosz before but this guy has prototypical size and is a powerlifter.
    I love this stat - 188 tackles in college, 103 of them solo!
    He has been showing up at Texans OTA's.
    Looks like Texans are serious about this defense.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Brian Cushing Junior? Hmmmm.

13. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So, walterfootball.com has a "Why Undrafted" series. They are normally pretty terse, but the one on Max Bullough is especially cryptic:

[rquoter]

Michigan State's Max Bullough spent the past few seasons as one of the most consistent linebackers in the Big Ten, and the Spartans featured one of the best defenses in the nation in 2013. Darqueze Dennard was the most high profile player, but Bullough was the leader, heart and soul of the stop unit. He was a consistent producer and good run-defender in conference action. Like all college linebackers, Bullough needs work on his pass defense for the NFL, but the 6-foot-3, 250-pounder has good length to run with tight ends downfield.

For an undisclosed reason, Bullough was suspended from the Rose Bowl, his final college game. He performed well at the East-West Shrine, but the nature of his off-the-field issues was not released. Many felt that Bullough would be a mid-rounder given his instincts, size and tackling ability. However, he fell undrafted. WalterFootball.com has learned the reason Bullough went unselected was because of the off-the-field issues that caused the suspension. They are said to be significant toward impacting his long-term possibilities.

Bullough signed with the Houston Texans in free agency. It was a great fit for him as the organization could use a run-stuffer at inside linebacker to pair with Brian Cushing. That has been a weakness for Houston since trading DeMeco Ryans. If Bullough can clean things up off the field, he has a shot at making the Texans' roster and developing into a role player for run defense.

[/rquoter]

What kind of "off field issue" can be "significant towards impacting his long term posibilities"? Did he shoot a man in reno just to watch him die? I honestly can't figure out what they could be talking about, outside of a criminal charge with sentencing to come, and I think we would have heard about that.

What possible off field problem could limit long term possibilities?

14. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Drug problem? Steroids?

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He has to inject himself with Bain serum before every football game?

16. Remii

Remii Member