1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UDFA Matthew Hurt signs with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Spooner, Jul 30, 2021.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Swap out Lamb for someone with actual upside and I'd be down for that. :cool:

HakeemOnlyFan, D-rock and saleem like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The next Matt Bullard.

DD

BossHogg713 likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

More like future used car salesman ....

Nook, AXG, pippendagimp and 3 others like this.
  4. jayydela

jayydela Member

He needs to be the next coming of Duncan Robinson for us

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You'll know you're in the right place when some bleary eyed stranger, peering over a mask, bumps into you, hands you a ticket with a number on it, and says, "You've been Stoned."

Rockets4Life13, D-rock and cdrive like this.
  7. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

Sign Armoni Brooks first before this guy.

I don't want to get hurt.

Just reisgn Austin Rivers.

kdaltaccount likes this.
  8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

He was awful vs Portland. A total zero if his shot isn’t falling

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

homey look less athletic than chuck nevitt

Nook and Fulgore like this.
  10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Didn’t watch but there has to be higher upside guys than this that we can give a 2 way contract to. Maybe he can show some improvement in gleague but needs to be way more aggressive.

bulkatron and groovemachine like this.
  11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Definitely should have stayed in school all 4 yrs.

groovemachine and Hank McDowell like this.
  12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yep, he came out too soon but if he had stayed he’d have been a certain first rounder. He’s got size and a great shot, I’m totally good with having him around as a developmental project.

groovemachine and hakeem94 like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Staying 4 years doesn't really do anything for him. no way would that guarantee him a 1st round pick. He'd be lucky to make it in the 2nd. Guys way more talented them him don't even get drafted. He had a career season where he likely wouldn't duplicate again. So he had to take his chances, Especially at duke when the next line of top recruits come in and push guys like hurt out.

Corrosion, AXG and D-rock like this.
  14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He’d be 2 years stronger and more developed than he is now. He’s not a bad athlete, he’s just not an elite one, and he’s never going to be. He does have size though, and he has a highly developed offensive game already. He was voted the most improved player in the ACC last season. How can you say he wouldn’t continue to develop with two more years under Coach K in the ACC? Makes no sense. Hell, he was considered a possible first rounder this year. No way, barring injury, that he wouldn’t have improved his draft standing with two more developmental years under Krzyzewski. He is trending up, not down, as a consensus 5 star recruit and one of the top players in his class. Guys like that don’t get pushed out. That just defies all logic. I get it, he might not pan out, a lot of first rounders don’t, but he has plenty of potential, and that’s all most first rounders are anyway.

#174 Hank McDowell, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Coach K isn't going to be around 2 more years. It makes plenty of sense. for what i've already said. just because you stay longer in college doesn't mean your stock goes up every year. He had as good of a season as he has and. the fact that he had the season he just had and still went undrafted tells folks more than enough. Yes guys like him get pushed out. It's a constant cycle for notoriously one and done schools. He wasn't the first and he won't be the last.

5 star recruits mean you don't get pushed out? false. Kyle Wiltjer ring a bell. A 5 star recruit who had to transfer from Kentucky who every year brings in the next one and done's. knowing he'd be riding the bench with much more talented guys coming in, he got out of there

Paolo Banchero and AJ Griffin both are pushing him out easily. And they still have Mark Williams another 5 star recruit returning. Theo John also didn't graduate transfer for his last year of eligibility from Marquette to not play either

#175 YOLO, Aug 18, 2021
  16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Nah, we’ll never agree on this. You assume he’s going to trend down, when he’s literally done nothing but the opposite of that. I get the questions about him, I don’t think he’s a sure thing at all, but there isn’t one single thing that makes me believe he wouldn’t continue trending upward if he had stayed in college. It’s not like he got to be all ACC at Duke, Mr. Basketball in the state of Minnesota, a McDonalds All American and a 5 star recruit by literally everyone, and ultimately signed to an NBA contract by accident. You don’t have to like the guy, but damn, what more does he need to do? If you honestly don’t think someone with that pedigree wouldn’t likely get drafted with a little more seasoning, we’ll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

I couldn't careless if you agreed or not. You obviously don't follow college enough to know. All you see is 5 star and just assume. None of that guarantees anything. you literally didn't even know Coach K isn't even going to be around for long. You don't even know who is coming and who is returning that absolutely has an impact on decisions for these players

#177 YOLO, Aug 18, 2021
  18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Right. Because I just glossed over all of the extra **** that he’s already accomplished in college? I guess I just assumed all of that **** and it didn’t actually already happen, huh? The point of bringing up the 5 star stuff was that he is doing exactly what he has always done before. He didn’t just luck into last year, he’s been building up towards that his entire life. He’s projecting and progressing exactly the way a 5 star should. And Coach K isn’t retiring for another year, and the rest of that staff is staying in place. Like I said, this is a pointless conversation. If you honestly can’t see this guy as trending towards being a first rounder in the future if he had stayed longer at Duke, that’s cool. I think you’re wrong. We’ll never know either way. Regardless, he’s exactly the kind of guy you take a two way chance on. Tons of upside, not much risk.

Nook likes this.
  19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Hurt has the upside of being ... Matt Bullard ... which should earn him a roster spot on some team eventually.

Hurt is a good 3 pointer shooter now but can still work on getting better. He had reasonable low post moves at Duke, but will need to greatly improve for that to work in the NBA. His defense is bad and may never get better.

All in all, a full season in the G League should let us know his development track.

#179 No Worries, Aug 18, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Newsflash. None of that stuff matters when you’re trying to get to the next level. Nobody cares at that point. It’s not a matter of we won’t know. We already know. How is he going to have a better season than what he just had playing half the minutes if even that when the talent coming in and the other players named there are all there for significant time. Easy answer. He won’t. You seriously think he himself didn’t have this conversation already. Like he just out of no where just said I’m going to test the nba, I’m out. Please tell me you’re not that naive

#180 YOLO, Aug 18, 2021