1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UCLA's Jim Mora loses it with reporter who interrupts him

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by GageD, Sep 10, 2013.

1. GageD

GageD Member

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QSfImM1XhFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...ss-conference-regarding-204126773--ncaaf.html

UCLA coach Jim Mora leaves news conference after media member interrupts his comments on the death of WR Nick Pasquale

UCLA coach Jim Mora was in the middle of giving his thoughts on walk-on receiver Nick Pasquale when a phone rang.

Pasquale was killed after being hit by a car early Sunday morning and Mora was telling media about what the young man meant to the team. That's when a television “technician” answered his phone.

Mora immediately lost it.

“Hey, shut up,” Mora yelled to the reporter while giving him a death stare. “The disrespect of some people is just unbelievable, man. Just unbelievable.”

The offending media member then told Mora to “go on,” which worsened the situation, caused Mora to say a couple more choice words to the guy and ultimately leave the news conference a little more than two minutes after it started.

The guy did apologize, but it was already too late.

Wow.

Whatever your thoughts on Mora as a person or as a coach, he was totally justified in his actions here. For the past 24 hours, he’s had to deal with not only his own grief, but the grief of his players and staff over the loss of one of their own. And some guy is going to answer his phone while Mora is trying to publicly express his sorrow after losing one of his players?

First, the media member should have never answered his phone. That's a basic rule of etiquette while in news conferences. Second, he should have never told Mora to “go on.” And third, he should have just apologized on the spot and perhaps Mora would have given him the look, but continued with his comments and the rest of the presser.

It was a bad move, and the offending television station should go out of its way to make things right with UCLA or else this might be its last press conference.

2. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Believe it or not, Mora showed a ton of restraint here. Perhaps out of respect to the family and his grieving players.

More importantly, the lack of courtesy is quite telling these days -- especially in the field of 24/7 journalism. I see it all the time. Answering cell phone calls loudly in public, self-promoting tweets, constant texting, etc.; what's happened to professional common courtesy?

I've got my theories on sports journalism (ESPN + social media + sports radio), and it's devolved (the last 5-7 years) to tabloid journalism more than anything else I grew up following.

May Nick Pasquale rest in peace.

3. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

I loved it.

Answering a cell phone call during a situation like that shows a complete lack of respect and/or compassion. Just a clueless brand of entitlement shown by whoever that jackass was.

Richie_Rich is right. He showed tremendous restraint in a situation that would make Larry David's head explode.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Incredible restraint.

5. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

I applaud him

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Impolite, but I gotta consider the family tree on this one.