1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UCLA hires Steve Alford

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by J.R., Mar 30, 2013.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

So they didnt want to give Kareem a shot?

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

Alford isnt a bad choice but i was really hoping for Shaka Smart - this was out of left field though as everyone I know that works in the athletic dept there said there was only a few names on the list, Stevens, Smart, Donovan and Alford wasnt one of them.

Hoping he can do better with the new crowd than Howland did

4. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Alford will be gone too when he doesn't bring home 5 NCAA championships in his first 3yrs. UCLA has unreal expectations they think college basketball is still the way it was when John Wooden was winning championships and its not there is too much competition in todays game to do that.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This won't end well. I don't believe Steve Alford is ready for that kind of job. The fact is UCLA and it's supporters think far too highly of their program while nobody outside of the Pac 12 cares much anymore.

Howland had a great run that Alford would be lucky to duplicate before they throw him out.

6. autoprt

autoprt Member

if they want to get back to what coach wooden did they should have picked kareem his plan was to pretty much mirror how wooden coached them since it worked and his main thing is about teaching the fundamentals and team ball like wooden.

i am guessing they want him to have more college experience which is really overrated.

7. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Haha my Dad's name is Steve Alford