1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[U Turns] Does this even make sense?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TexasStake, Oct 17, 2013.

Tags:
  1. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Virginia way is the correct way. That's one of the things that really sticks out in my mind from driver's ed. I always get so mad when people do it incorrectly and act like I'm the jerk for going to the "wrong" side.

2. westcoastin

westcoastin Member

This. I've gotten angry looks for pulling this maneuver, when in reality it's the correct and safe way to make a U-turn. I guess some people were either not paying attention in driving school or weren't taught.

3. rex

rex Member

Really? Have you clicked the link? The state of Texas says otherwise to the deluded conclusions of the majority here.

4. HOUSTONJS

HOUSTONJS Member

hahahaha

Seriously though, the Virginia way is really common around here also

5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The Virginia way is technically correct, but in real life, people suck at driving so they often block oncoming traffic either behind or in front when they're in the median to u-turn. The Houston way takes up less space in the median because it's easier to judge where you are in relation to the curb as opposed to the opposite curb/imaginary midline of the median and you can take a more gradual turn instead of a hard 90.

Thus, I think that's why it's more common to see the Houston way being done. At least that's why I do it.