1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. Open

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MartianMan, Aug 31, 2005.

1. AB

AB Member

Agassi wins..

One of the best games I have watched

2. Nick

Nick Member

Great... after all that anticipation... they're showing it on tape delay by 1/2 an hour here in houston now.

I already know what's gonna happen... ah well, at least I can sorta see the reactions "live".

3. Nick

Nick Member

Congratulations... thanks to a couple of idiots in NY, you probably were the only one who had that experience.

This could have been legendary.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

Agassi wins!!

5. Mr. Brightside

Damn, the prick Agassi wins.

At least the only redeeming thing to come out of this is to watch Federer steam roll him in straights.

6. Major

Major Member

This may be a local thing - I saw this thread and turned on CBS in Austin in the 5th set and it was on here.

Could it be a Houston local station's decision?

7. Nick

Nick Member

Well, Houston (and some other non west coast cities) always reschedule a lot of the late night programming to suit their needs... because there should never be anything "live" going on at that time. CBS does not have a mandate to have it on right after Letterman for all networks.

I know this has been going on for years... I just figured, by now that its probably just best to keep the match runnin on USA and let it be.

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

That sucks you guys didn't get to see it it in Houston, they showed the entire match in Austin. I've been an Agassi fan since I was a little kid, but I found myself rooting for Blake the entire match. What a great freaking match!

Too bad we can't have an all-American final since Ginepri and Agassi will meet in the semis.

9. AB

AB Member

I live in Rochester, NY. CBS station carried the game for the remaining part of 5th set.
    I almost swithced of the TV in 3rd.. Things were looking so one sided and Agassi was winding up..but some how he pulled thru..

I rooted for Blake.. but still great tennis

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

A tight match, that's all. Each player was broken 7 times - you'd see that more often in lady's tennis. Winners to unforced errors ratios are not really great either. I was somewhat rooting for Blake, but was also happy to see Agassi won. I think Andre would more likely give Roger a serious challenge than Blake if they were to meet in the final.

I have Dishnetwork, no problem when the 5th set coverage was switching to CBS from USA Network. If the match was blocked by the CBS affiliate in your area, you need to seriously complain to USTA and the local station. Things like this also happened in my city before. The most recent was in 2000 US Open men's final between Sampras and Safin. The coverage wasn't on until 45 minutes into the match because our local CBS station had to do some follow-up interviews with the Bengals which just finished their NFL season opener. Un-freakin'-believeable.

11. dockerland

dockerland Member

I must say I don't think I have ever been as shattered to see a player lose a match as I was tonight to see Blake go down. While I respect Andre more than most players on the tournament the run by Blake so far has been truely magical and could not have been written better up until this stage. Lets just hope James builds on the experience and doesn't let this haunt him for the rest of his career.

Hopefully now I will get to see Blake in January in Perth at the Hopman Cup.

12. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Member

I'm in Austin at the moment as well. Thank god it was playing on CBS. I sacrficed a night of going out for this match. Best match I've seen in the last few years that's for sure.

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I had to change channels, but saw the remainder of the match. Great tennis. It was bittersweet though. I was torn and going back and forth the entire match on whom I wanted to win.

What a roller coaster!!

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Member

Same here, we were watching it Dallas and CBS flipped over to the match almost as soon as USA stopped.

Great match, thought there was no way that Agassi was going to pull that out, esp. when he was down 3 love in the tie breaker.

15. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

They just replayed the end of the match on USA. I would have let you know, but I was riveted even though I'd seen it.

AMAZING tie break. Why did someone have to lose that match...that was awesome.

At the end, Blake and Agassi hugged a few times, and Blake said he hoped he'd see Agassi on the court again soon, he gave him many congratulations, and told him it had never been so fun to lose a match.

I love to see that type of sportsmanship.....unlike Venus after her loss to Clijsters.

16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Member

ALRIGHT!! WHO IS READY FOR SOME TENNIS!!! :). We have basketball get togethers but never tennis. How often do you some of you guys play? I hope Agassi is right though. I hope Tennis won last night. This sport doesn't get the credit it deserves. It's only when the Americans do well does tennis become more popular. I'm glad we'll have a least one american in the final though Ginepri is flying low under the radar w/o much attention.

I think agassi-federer will be a good final if it comes down to that. I know federer is great but does no one remember that Agassi took Federer to 5 sets at last year's US OPEN?? I don't like to put too much credit into best out of 3 sets because momentum can swing so easily like we saw last night.

Blake just had to hold on for maybe 1.5 more games and that match would have probably been over in less than 1.5 hours. Wow how fast things change. Unbelievable. Last night's match made me proud to be a tennis fan, and wow it was pretty rowdy at Plucker's last night for a tennis match.

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I do. The match was played in high gusts of wind amid a strong storm passing through NYC. Compared to Fed's, Agassi game is more of counterpunch and controled aggression, so was less affected by wind.

In an extreme analogy, if I played a tennis match against a world class player in Katrina, I'd probably have as much a chance as my opponent.

18. Stack24

Stack24 Member

That is one of the most entertaining matches i have seen a while. I watched the 3rd and 4th sets and it was amazing to see Agassi stay poised and make Blake crack like that..once he was falling apart you could see that Agassi was getting stronger and stronger....

19. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Member

Yeah it didn't get gusty until mid-way through the 4th set. Agassi had his chances to put away Federer but didn't. Federer wasn't playing his best either.

I'm not saying Agassi is better than Federer but people don't give Agassi enough credit against Feds. Surely Agassi can't do any worse than Hewitt at the moment or even Roddick. Fed has owned them both thoroughly in recent years.

But if Fed is on, forget it, no one can match up with him except maybe a HOT Safin or a hot Nadal. He's just that amazing. If he does come close to sampras record or ties it, I don't think he'll get enough exposure or credit from the sports community. He has the charm and charisma but being non-american hurts him there. So sad it has to be that way :(.

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I used to hate Agassi a lot. He seems to have matured a lot, so I don't have any problem with him now.

I was still pulling for Blake, because I love the style of tennis he plays. He tries hard all the time, and gets to balls that most players wouldn't even try for. He makes the game exciting and fun.

James also has the human interest story on his side with past events in his life away from the court.

James was the most fun to watch out of everyone IMO. RF is so skilled at everything that he makes it all look a little too easy.