1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

U.S. Has Less Than 5% of World Population But Almost 1/4 Of World's Prisoners

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Apr 23, 2008.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Oh, yeah. Let's close more prisons, execute the prisoners and bury them anonymously ... just like in Third World countries. :rolleyes:

2. LouisianaRocket

actually, the Three Strikes Law is for any race. And they have low class whites, low class asains, low class brits living in this country too... what does low class have anything to do with the law?

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see how you can disagree with ymc when the statistics are what they are. He isn't saying anything particularly inflammatory about why blacks and Hispanics end up in jail. But 12% of the US population is black, and 44% of the US prison population is black. You can't argue with those facts. And while it's not nearly as bad for Hispanics, representation is still disproportionate.

In fact, ymc presents the kindest explanation for why the facts are what they are. He’s not blaming it directly on racism, but rather indicating that low income increases the chances that you end up in jail. I would probably suggest that at least some of that is straight racism in prosecution and sentencing.

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Very well said, and the difference is even more stark when it comes to drug crimes. as you said, 12% of the population is black, but...

According to the federal Household Survey, "most current illicit drug users are white. There were an estimated 9.9 million whites (72 percent of all users), 2.0 million blacks (15 percent), and 1.4 million Hispanics (10 percent) who were current illicit drug users in 1998." And yet, blacks constitute 36.8% of those arrested for drug violations, over 42% of those in federal prisons for drug violations. African-Americans comprise almost 58% of those in state prisons for drug felonies; Hispanics account for 20.7%.

Source: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, National Household Survey on Drug Abuse: Summary Report 1998

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Everybody cheer, "We're #1, we're #1, we're #1...."

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Out of curiosity, do you have a breakdown by drug? Illegally acquired prescription cough syrup and heroin are both illicit drugs, but are hardly the same thing.

7. GladiatoRowdy

No, that would take far more research than I have time to undertake.

However, if I win the lottery, I plan to write my Ph.D. dissertation on drug policy and at that point, I will have more than enough time and gumption to give you the breakdown you asked for.

Unfortunately, as a result of the mortgage, tuition, and two young boys, I have to work too much to do that much research.

8. GladiatoRowdy

However, based on my general knowledge of the subject, there are very few states that make possession of illicit cough syrup a felony. Typically, any amount of cocaine or heroin will always be a felony (at least in Texas that is the case), where possession of smaller amounts of other drugs will be a misdemeanor, as will possession of "personal use" amounts of prescription drugs.

9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually, they are pretty close to being the same drug. It's like the difference between illicit Adderall and crank. They are very close to being analogs.

10. GladiatoRowdy

However, are treated very differently under the law, as are powder and crack cocaine, despite the fact that they are literally the same drug packaged and consumed a different way.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It comes down to enforcement
    Take the YOUTUBE Girls where 6 of them jumped one girl
    being white
    they will probably get off with warnings/probation/misdemeanors

however . .if they were minority and wore red or blue
    they would probably get felonies and more time

Notice the minorities now have one strike and the non minority does not
    for basically the same crime

Alot of 'youthful indescretions' are more forgiven in the suburbs
    than in the 'ghetto', 'slums', 'barrios', poor areas . . .minority areas. . .

In the east side of houston . . .several months back
    some kids took a car for a joyride and got hit by a train . . .
    rather than talking about some kids stealing a car . . .
    we get news coverage about the safty level of train track crossings
    Guess if they were minority or not?

Rocket River

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Well, they are both opium derivatives. I don't have experience with either one, but my understanding from reading is that they are vastly different in their effects (not to mention things like delivery method). If you prefer, replace illicitly obtained cough syrup with illicitly obtained Ritalin (which to my understanding is completely unlike heroin) or MDMA.

EDIT: On second thought, don't bother as the person to whom I addressed my question (andymoon) already responded.