1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

U.S. Army Islamic chaplain arrested for spying at Gitmo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bamaslammer, Sep 20, 2003.

1. jamma34

jamma34 Member

if you look up jihad in any arabic-english dictionary, under the root word "jahada" it means STRUGGLE (literally). in fact, let me look it up for you, this is in the hans wehr dictionary (arabic-english):

Jahada: to endeavor, strive, labor, take pains, overwork, overtax, fatigue...

and in al-mawrid (another arabic-english dictionary):
    effort, endeavor, attempt; pains, trouble, strenuous exertion, fatigue, toil, hard work, with great difficulty...

some of the verses which refer to fighting actually use the arabic word "qitaal" (which means fighting, or killing), they actually do NOT use the word jihad.

and the word "islam" is the imperitave form of the arabic verb "salama" which means submit (a "muslim" is one who has submitted [to God] ) and "salama" can also mean peace, as in the islamic greeting "assalamu alaikum" (may peaace - salam - be unto you).

so please, get your facts straight instead of letting a sensationalized media brainwash you.

as for the rest of your points, then it seems the ppl arguing have already made up their minds about what they think is correct, so there's really no point in addressing them.

but please try to keep your facts straight before making outlandish accusations.

and anyway, there's no evidence presented here against the guy, judging SOLELY based on the article you posted, the quotes he gave make him sound pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum. so until you get some proof, innocent until proven guilty right?

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Many crazed and deluded people have done terrible, violent things in the name of any number of religions. There isn't a monopoly on madness.

3. BBnP4l

BBnP4l Member

jamma34, do you too have a @thetruereligion.org email address?

4. neXXes

neXXes Member

I want to know what people that don't like Islam feel about Hakeem Olajuwon.

5. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Good point.

6. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

or goodness. :)

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Koran says that he who murders one human, murders all of humanity. The Koran does not authorize murder.

8. TechLabor

TechLabor Contributing Member

I wonder what kind of secrets can Yee steal and to which country he will sell the secrets?

9. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Whatever information Yee had obtained would be more valuable to the press than any other country.

10. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

How do you countenance that (which I don't know if it is in there or not) with the verses I mentioned, in which the killing of unbelievers and plotters and etc. are mentioned innumberable times. There are not very many Christian suicide bombers (unless you count abortion clinic bombers), nor Buddhists, or Hindu or Jews for that matter. There are no promises in the Bible of 72 virgins for dying in the "defense" of Judiaism or Christianity by killing innocents because they are not either one of the two. In the Koran, that exists.

So you're going to tell me Islam is not a violent religion? You've fallen victim to this political correct vision of Islam as being a religion of peace. Put it to you this way, I guarantee you, if you did a search with a computer of the instances that peace is mentioned in the Koran, it would be three times as few as the mentioned of killing, death and war in the name of Allah. Jesus never wanted his disciples to raise arms in his defense, in fact he restored the ear of a Roman soldier shewn off by a sword. Islam is submission to Allah, a bloodthirsty angry, demonic entity, who hates anyone who doesn't submit to Him via the Islamic religion, if you read the Koran. Jesus said that the first Commandment was to love. And you're going to try to convince me Islam is peaceful?

11. Timing

Timing Member

I saw a news report on this and they said he had drawings of the layout of the prison in Cuba and also had information regarding the interrogation techniques. FWIW, they had an expert on saying that if it would be quite helpful for Al-Qaeda to know methods of interrogation.

12. neXXes

neXXes Member

bama: what do you feel about Hakeem Olajuwon?

13. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

According to NewsMax, Hakeem is a terrorist who advocates a violent religion, baseline spin moves and championships not withstanding.

14. Panda

Panda Member

And the animals on Nova's Ark were all morally better than the children on Earth that weren't picked up. :rolleyes:

15. bamaslammer

I didn't mean to paint all Muslims with a broad brush, but their religion lends itself more to violence than say, Christanity or Hinduism. Their holy book is filled with all these adminition to kill the unbelievers or face the fires of wrath. How can you not call it a violent religion. There may be some people who practice Islam who are not violent folks, but their religion is by its very nature...violent.

16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

nice one. :D

bama, what do you think of the following theory?

Most religions (western ones, at least) seem to go through an incredibly violent adolescence. Islam is the youngest of the three major branches of western religions, and it is in its adolescence, much like Christianity during the Crusades (want to talk bloody -- hooo boy).

Also, I bet you would admit that different sects of Islam are very different. Think of sufism, for instance. That's one of my favorite sects of any religion, from everything I've read. Sounds beautiful and peaceful.

17. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

It might explain the violence, but doesn't disprove it.

18. bamaslammer

Christianity never went through that phase, especially early in its life. In fact, most of the time that supposedly Christian nations went to war simply used Christianity as an excuse, nevermind that they were doing it for political reasons.

But in the case of Islam, they engaged in wars of conquest to assimilate new converts by the sword and make Islam the world's religion. Fortunately, they did not succeed. I think it is alarming that Islam was once the center of knowledge and reason in the world (if not for Islamic scholars, we'd have no knowledge of Greek wisdom through their writings, painstakingly translated by Muslim scholars) but now, Islam simply advocates destroying the new center of knowledge or reason.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Well, we just completely disagree on these two points. That's okay.

Hayes, agree that the pet theory does not at all disprove violent tendencies. Far from...

20. bamaslammer

Agree to disagree, no problem there.