1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. Army Islamic chaplain arrested for spying at Gitmo

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bamaslammer, Sep 20, 2003.

1. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Can you believe the Army let this guy back in the service, even as a chaplain? He went to Syria to "study" for chrissakes! He is also a liar calling Islam a "religion of peace" and that jihad means "struggle." Hopefully they throw the book at him and hang his sorry traitorous ass.

Islamic chaplain is charged as spy

By Rowan Scarborough
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES

An Army Islamic chaplain, who counseled al Qaeda prisoners at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, naval base, has been charged with espionage, aiding the enemy and spying, The Washington Times has learned.
    Capt. James J. Yee, a 1990 graduate of the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., was arrested earlier this month by the FBI in Jacksonville, Fla., as he arrived on a military charter flight from Guantanamo, according to a law-enforcement source.
    Agents confiscated several classified documents in his possession and interrogated him. He was held for two days in Jacksonville and transferred to a Navy brig in Charleston, S.C., where two Army lawyers have been assigned to his defense.
    The Army has charged Capt. Yee with five offenses: sedition, aiding the enemy, spying, espionage and failure to obey a general order. The Army may also charge him later with the more serious charge of treason, which under the Uniform Code of Military Justice could be punished by a maximum sentence of life.
    It could not be immediately learned what country or organization is suspected of receiving information from Capt. Yee. He had counseled suspected al Qaeda terrorists at Guantanamo for a lengthy period.
    Capt. Yee, 35, was a command chaplain for I Corps at Fort Lewis, Wash. The Army dispatched him to Cuba to attend to the spiritual needs of a growing number of captured al Qaeda and members of the Taliban, a hard-line Islamic group ousted from power in Afghanistan.
    Capt. Yee, of Chinese-American descent, was raised in New Jersey as a Christian. He studied Islam at West Point and converted to Islam and left the Army in the mid-1990s. He moved to Syria, where he underwent further religious training in traditional Islamic beliefs. He returned to the United States and re-entered the Army as an Islamic chaplain. He is said to be married to a Syrian woman.
    Capt. Yee had almost unlimited private access to detainees as part of the Defense Department's program to provide the prisoners with religious counseling, as well as clothing and Islamic-approved meals. The law-enforcement source declined to say how much damage Capt. Yee may have inflicted on the U.S. war against Osama bin Laden's global terror network.
    The source said the "highest levels" of government made the decision to arrest Capt. Yee, who had been kept under surveillance for some time.
    The military's "convening authority" — the officer who would authorize criminal proceedings — is the commander of U.S. Southern Command in Miami, which oversees the prison at Guantanamo.
    After the September 11 attacks, Capt. Yee, one of 17 Muslim chaplains, was the subject of a number of press articles on Islam.
    A month after the attack on the World Trade Center towers and the Pentagon, he was quoted in an account by Scripps Howard News Service as saying that "an act of terrorism, the taking of innocent lives is prohibited by Islam and whoever has done this needs to be brought to justice, whether he is Muslim or not."
    In another account, the Voice of America News Service paraphrased Capt. Yee as saying Islam is a religion of peace and the concept of "jihad," or holy war, simply means "to struggle."
    "The basics, you always begin with the basics when dealing with anything," Capt. Yee was quoted as saying. "I discuss the articles of faith, what Muslims believe. The five pillars of Islam and then of course, I relate it to the events of September 11 to include some of the concepts found in Islam and how it deals with matters of war."
    At the Charleston brig, he joins three other notable detainees in the war on terrorism: Yaser Esam Hamdi, an American-born Saudi who fought with the Taliban; Jose Padilla, a former Chicago gang member who is charged with plotting to detonate a radioactive bomb; and Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri, accused of being an al Qaeda sleeper agent.
    The United States classifies the detainees at Guantanamo as "enemy combatants," not prisoners of war. The Pentagon will likely hold most of them until the war on terrorism is over.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20030919-105619-9614r.htm

2. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Geez, that's messed up. He's gonna fry, that's for sure. BBS posters like to throw around the word "treason," but this guy fits the definition pretty well.

But I do take issue with your comment that Islam isn't a religion of peace. There are 1.5 billion Muslims around the world -- we only hear about the .0000005 percent, and they represent the radical conservative fringes of their religion. It's dishonest to impugn 1.5 billion people for the actions of a reprehensible few.

Just as abortion doctor killers don't represent Christianity, terrorists don't represent Islam.

3. GreenVegan76

The Pentagon will hold them until the war on terror is "over." WTF? So they could be in there for 50 years -- no trial, no lawyer, no outside contact, no due process. How do we even know they're guilty? Because the government says they are?

Some of these "detainees" are AMERICANS. Every person in the world deserves a trial, but for an *American* to be denied due process is truly scary.

4. bamaslammer

Here's a little stat that jumps out at me when people say that Islam is a "peaceful" religion. Think about all the conflicts going on in the world today. Doing a little research on my Microcase statistics set, based on these sources at the bottom of the page.
    According to these statistics, seventy percent of the nations with at least a 60% population of Muslims are in some sort of conflict, ranging from regional wars to wars of independence. That really jumps out at you, doesn't it? Peaceful religion indeed.

The data in the NATIONS file are from a variety of sources. The variable description for each variable uses the following abbreviations to indicate the source.

FITW: Freedom in the World, published annually by Freedom House.
    HDR: Human Development Report, published annually by the United Nations Development Program.
    IDB: International Data Base, 1998, U.S. Bureau of the Census.
    IDEA: Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance. Turnout data are from the institute's "Global Report on Political Participation." (Stockholm, 1997) Electoral system data and coding from "The International Handbook of Electoral System Design" (Stockholm, 1997).
    PON: The Progress of Nations, UNICEF, 1996.
    SAUS: Statistical Abstract of the United States, published annually by the US Department of Commerce.
    STARK: Coded and calculated by Rodney Stark.
    SWPA: Dan Smith, The State of War and Peace Atlas, 1st Edition, London: Penguin, 1997.
    TI: Corruption Perceptions Index, Transparency International, 1998.
    TWF: The World Factbook, published annually by the Central Intelligence Agency.
    TWW: The World's Women, published by the United Nations, 1995.
    UNESCO: United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization: Statistics Division, United Nations web site.
    UNSY: United Nations Statistical Yearbook, 1997, United Nations.
    WCE: World Christian Encyclopedia, David B. Barrett, editor, Oxford University Press, 1982.
    WDI: World Development Indicators, published annually by the World Bank.
    WDR: World Development Report, published annually by the World Bank.
    WR: World Resources, 1994-1995, World Resources Institute
    WVS: World Values Study Group. WORLD VALUES SURVEY, 1981-1984 AND 1990-1993 (Computer files). ICPSR version. Ann Arbor, MI: Institute for Social Research (producer), 1994. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (distributor), 1994.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's a pretty big story and I hope they throw the book at him. Thanks for the "heads up". I disagree with your blanket condemnation of Islam, but this guy should have everything the military can bring to bear dumped on his sorry ***.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

100% of countries that are the United STates of America are invovled in not one but mulitiple conflicts around the globe. Does that mean that the United States is never a country of peace?

Looking specifically at radical Wahabbism, they are the greatest danger to other Muslims. In their histroy(starting in the late 18th century) they have by far killed more Muslims than Christians or Jews.

I've mentioned a specific example that anyone on this board should be aware of.

Hakeem Olajuwon was more peaceful:

A. Before his rededication to Islam

B. After his rededication to Islam

Back to your stats. They don't tell me that Islam isn't a religion of peace. It doesn't really tell me anything. It could tell me that Muslims are oppressed around the globe and are fighting for the independence. It could tell me that various sects of Islam believe on making war against other sects. It could tell me that there are a lot of wars going on around the globe, in general.

7. GreenVegan76

The United States and Great Britain, two countries with overwhelming Christian populations, recently waged war on two predominantly Islamic countries. Does that mean Christianity is a violent religion? No. It had nothing to do with Christianity. But, by using the above logic, it would mean Christianity is a violent religion.

What percentage of "Christian" countries are currently, or have been at war? Were these wars waged because of religion, or because of politics? If "Christian" countries wage war because of politics, why wouldn't "Muslim" countries? It seems a bit elitist not to consider that correlation.

8. bamaslammer

No....Islam is remarkably intolerant of other religions under their civil law. The wars are started by Muslim majorities attempting to butcher Hindus, Buddhists and Christians who live within their borders. Here are some examples from a Oct. 11, 2001 article from Newsmax:

1. Sudan: Some 2 million people, chiefly Christians, have been killed in a civil war fought by the radical Islamic regime in the north of the country against non-Arab population in the south, according to several sources including Marshall and Diane Knippers' Institute on Religion and Democracy.

2. Pakistan: Christians depend on the protection of the government as several Muslim leaders have issued fatwas (religious decrees) to kill two Pakistani Christians for every Afghan Muslim who dies in the Anglo-American air raids.
    There have also been attacks on Christians along the Afghan border, Marshall told UPI.

3. Indonesia: In the eastern islands of this largest Muslim nation in the world, white-uniformed militiamen of Laskar Jihad are forcibly converting Christians to Islam. Marshall said this caused considerable embarrassment to the government, which did not condone such actions.
    This campaign has so far cost the lives of 5,000 to 6,000 people, the British-born scholar related. "There are links between Laskar Jihad and top terrorist Osama bin Laden," he said.

And that's not counting all of the persecution of Hindus, Buddhists, and nature-worshipping indigineous tribes by Muslims. Religon of peace indeed. You don't see Christians, Jews, Buddhists and Hindus doing this, do you? There are no Hindu or Jewish homicide bombers, no Christian butchering of innocent civilians by means of terror (except for Northern Ireland, but both sides have been condemned by the protestant and Catholic churches, whereas no imman has even said one word about the wrongness of homicide bombings).

These people are adherents to a violent religion that invaded and conquered half the world, converting people to Islam by force and invaded Europe numerous times, thus forcing the Europeans to invade to end the threat (the Crusades). Read the Koran, no peaceful book there. Throughout it there are sprinkled passages talking about violence in the name of Allah like these:

And you people still say this is a "peaceful religion" with passages like that filling the Koran? There is no such equivalent in the New Testament that authorizes any violence by Christians.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/articles/2001/10/16/210223.shtml

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Of course there are the Christians who were attempting ethinc cleansing against Muslims in the Kosovo region. There have been attempted bombings at Muslim schools in Israel.

And the random verses from the Koran don't prove anything. There are random verses from Christian and Judeo texts which talk about killing women and children in the name of God. But by looking at the stories as a whole you find the true meaning.

For example look at the story of Robin Hood. I can take passages about him robbing, people, killing others etc. It would make him look like a bad hombre. But the story as a whole is one of a person who is fighting injustice. I don't generally like to use random verses from any religious text unless they sum up the entire story. None of yours do.

10. bamaslammer

FB,
    The problem is that these are widespread throughout the Koran. The whole of the Koran is filled with these type of passages. Peace is not mentioned anywhere in the Koran, it is simply war on the unbeliever, what happens if you turn away from Islam, very negative stuff. There are some positives about Islam, among the pillars of faith is to give generously to the poor, but the negatives far outweigh the good.

The problem is that if the Christians in the Balkans would actually pay attention to Christianity's teachings, they'd find that it is a religion of love and peace. Islam on the other hand, is a religion of conquest, war, subservience and punishment. Muslims are acting in the name of their God when they kill infidels, but Christians who do so are going against the teachings of Christ.

I don't want to sound like I hate Muslims, but after studying the Koran and learning about them many years ago from a Muslim in my unit in the military, I distrust their motives. Many of them may be law-abiding citizens (in fact, all the ones I know are) but the threat from many of their brethern is real.

11. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Bam-man, you can do the same thing with the bible:

Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we call it the word of a demon than the word of god.
    -Thomas Jefferson

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Bamma you yourself mentioned the five pillars. That's what the religion is based on, thus the word 'pillars'. MacBeth has given examples of the way the Prophet himself acted. There is the fact that his wife was a business woman who asked him to marry her. If you look at these examples on the whole, they carry more weight than isolating verses.

There are a number of books out there by moderate Muslims that explain the teachings far better than I could, and have a better understanding than I do. Progressive Muslims would be a great place to start. Taking back Islam is another.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Here's a little stat that jumps out if you maintain that Christianity is a peaceful religion and that the USA is a peaceful country. In the last 50 years the USA, which is a country with a large majority of Christians has been in more wars than any other country. Unlike most countries this largely Christian nation often times has wars clear on the other side of the world. It insists on doing this against the clear will of the rest of the world.

Think about it.

Also the Christian nation of Germany killed 6 million Jews in the Holocaust. :rolleyes:

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

How can we blame Hitler, this is pretty iron clad.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

glynch, one difference that I would like to point out again is that neither what happened in Germany nor the wars the USA have been involved in happened in the name of christianity.

The terrorist attacks we have been seeing were committed by people who claimed to be acting in the name of Islam.

Could you address this point?

And another side note, the USA are a superpower and therefore have several times been asked to participate in wars/help, like on the balkan, which might partly explain the high number of wars they have participated in.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Actually Hitler has claimed that he was doing God's will. But much of the wars Muslims are involved in have to do with territory aren't just in the name of religion. The idea was put out that because countries with muslim populations are at war then Islam is a violent religion.

17. bamaslammer

You have to realize that most of the wars Muslim nations are involved in are of a religious nature, like the Sudan, Indonesia, India (with the mostly Muslim Kashmir), Lebanon and Nigeria. We are NOT a Christian nation. Unlike the Muslim countries I mentioned, which with a few exceptions are governed by Islamic Law (the Shariah), we have no state religion.Violent religion indeed.

But the problem with those who impugn the Bible have to realize, that in no way in the New Testament, which is the new covenant, did Christ authorize murder in His name. But Allah? Do so and go straight to heaven, it says so in the Koran. In the Old Testament, God was wrathful and I in no way accused the Old Testament of being peaceful, in fact, it's pretty damned violent. So their characterization of Allah as being wrathful and angry and since the very name Islam means "submission to God," they are by their very own admission in their holiest book a violent religion.

18. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

So I guess Judaism is also a violent religion?

19. Murdock

Murdock Member

As such, What solution to this problem do you propose? Keep in mind, there is a large segment of the world population that subscribes to this religion, how would you go about addressing the problem/s at at the base of it, if indeed your hypothosis is correct the problem is with the religion itself?

20. TraJ

TraJ Member

There's a difference between a nation going to war that happens to be predominantly one religion, and one that goes to war because of religion. I don't know enough of the details about each of the Islamic states that are at war, but I'm guessing at least some of them are at war for religious reasons. I don't believe the same thing can be said about the US or GB.