1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.S. ambassador, 3 American diplomats killed by protesters in Libya

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Sep 12, 2012.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

thousands? or just a few hundred?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Not sure, it was thousands in Cairo, don't know exactly how many in Libya.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

First, just because crowds in these countries have violent tendencies doesn't mean that the jackasses who provoked them are not jackasses. Nobody is excusing the violence even if they are trilled into it by some meth cooking idiot.

On the other hand, the violent tendencies of certain people do not wash away the stupidity (and laughable incompetence) of the ass clown "filmmaker." You people need to be less sensitive when fellow Islamophobes get called out for making a crappy video.

Second, it has shown that the entire demonstrating crowd was violently storming the embassy. A portion of them were. Also, it is not the case that every Egyptian/Libyan/Yemni, etc. Muslim offended by the film was out demonstrating or thought they needed to demonstrate in front of the US offices. Sure, there are upset people (with rather misdirected rage) and some of them got violent. The violence is inexcusable. Doesn't mean all Muslims bear their guilt. Doesn't mean the US government should not engage with these countries.

1 person likes this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Again, who cares about some ****ty filmmaker and his ****ty films. Why are you going after him? Lets get this story line straight:

1) Guy makes crappy film
    2) Hundreds/Thousands drag American civilians into the street; rape (?) and murder them because they didn't like the film.
    3) Carl Herrera demands to know more about who made this film.

You are doing exactly what the murders want. Attacking/Demonizing the filmmaker. You are a tool.

Yes people where murdered, but lets go after the guy who made a movie expressing his opinions. That's the real bad guy. :rolleyes:

5. Carl Herrera

THEY BOTH GREAT DREAMS!

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

We are looking at murder vs. an exercise of free speech (albeit a crappy one). Yet, you focus on the exercise of free speech with your anger/criticism. "Just because an ambassador got murdered doesn't mean that I shouldn't still be more angry at the guy who uploaded a Youtube video".

Nobody has said that. Obviously they don't.

However, much less so have all Americans, including the deceased ambassador, participated in the alleged "provocation" through that video. It appears that the ones in need of your little lecture on collective vs. individual guilt are in the Middle East, not on this BBS.

7. Carl Herrera

I doubt any rational person is "more angry" at the video producer than the murderers. I believe the murderers need to be punished by law for their crimes. I do not believe the video maker should face criminal penalty. Just because I mentioned the video making ass clown doesn't mean I am "more angry" at him than I am at the murderers. Is this simple enough for you people?

The violent Islamists who murdered people are far more disgusting than the idiot Islamophobe "film maker." But the world would be a better place if neither of them exist.

2 people like this.
  8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

great post Carl

10. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Haven't watched the whole film, it is not the highest quality of acting and the special effects are far from the lofty heights of Pixar, but from what i have seen, it seems historically and factually correct.

Would the world really be a better place if people who make historical reenactments didn't exist? Maybe if the original inspiration for the movie didn't exist the world would be a better place.

I better not mention Mohummad or Islamists in a random foreign country might storm the Australian embassy and murder an Aussie in retaliation for my 'islamophobic' based comments.

11. Carl Herrera

12. WNBA

WNBA Member

How come nothing is heard from the Muslims in the US? More films are needed....

13. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

So much for the "gaffe" claims. Obama knew exactly what he was saying and the Egyptian government got the message: step up or get sidelined.

14. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

RIP to those killed. Mr. Stevens was well-liked by most Libyans and it's sad to his life end at the hands of senseless extremists. It's really disgusting to see the reaction of so called "Muslims" to a pathetic video that shouldn't have garnered any attention whatsoever. Honestly as a Muslim myself, I believe Islam's image has severely deteriorated and is continuing to do so because of "Muslims" themselves and not the actions of non-believers. It's sad to see the religion hijacked by extremists who have severe flaws in their "faith" in Islam. The video is pretty stupid and shouldn't justify any violent reaction.

3 people like this.
  15. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Repped...nuff said.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/13/us-libya-ambassador-assault-idUSBRE88C02Q20120913

Police there are justifying the attack

So people who have nothing to do with the movie are somehow accountable. This is very troubling that it is coming from the police.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Thanks for posting this. The sad thing is that this is probably a reflection of how many Muslims really feel, especially in the Middle East: Deaths of people are nothing compared to "insulting the prophet" :rolleyes:.

I mean, even our own relatively educated Mathloom here wanted someone to live in fear for the rest of his life because of a cartoon that supposedly "insulted the prophet", can you imagine how easy it is then to manipulate much less educated people into bursts of outrage?

18. Carl Herrera

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Morsi is "western civilized", western educated, his kids are American citizens. Just FYI. The journalists can portray him however they want, but don't act like you don't know the reality of it. This is how Egyptians see him.

Protests are legal in Egypt. Violence is not. They will do what they call "their best" to get the criminals who attacked the embassy. When they say "our best", I'm sure it sounds insincere to us, but it is not more sincere/insincere than when our own authorities claim it.

In any large protest, there is inevitably violence. Also in any large protest, there is some opposition group willing to invent, provoke or exaggerate violence. Please don't sit here and act like protests in other countries are more civilized, lest I show you the violent minority of the occuppy movement - a movemenet intended to be non-violent. Don't act like the role of the US in this thing is irrelevant. You guys are super quick to repeat the party rhetoric of "We have foreign interests and we will protect them" - do you think Egyptians are accepting of this? Do you think Egyptians have forgotten that you stood by Mubarak, and that you now appear to be standing by Morsi only if he does what you say?

This thing is more complex than you guys are making it out to be. Egypt is not a country of Islamists. Americans is not in any way shape or form the liberator in Egypt, nor has it ever been. It is understandable that the American people expect gratitude for the aid provided to Egypt, but the reality is that the aid is to maintain a treaty with a country most of them do no want to maintain a this treaty with. The know that the money never trickles down to them, and they would rather not have the aid money at all. They see the money as bribery money. This is especially pertinent after having their revolution hijacked by Mr Tantawi, who they see as your guy.

To ask a country to not protest its imperial captor is silly. To not expect any violence is silly, and I'm sure you remember very well the behavior of your people during your revolution against your imperial captor. It was not always pretty. There was tremendous violence, even in the days it was dying down. There was hatred. There was all the same stuff.

So while we all agree that the criminals in this embassy mess should be thrown in jail, it's still time to quit the repulsive portrayal of Egyptians as homogenous, savage, irresponsible democrats, anything of that nature. This is a young impoverished poor semi democracy whose sovereign wishes are diverted at least partially by an imperialist power - I don't expect you to understand this, I don't fully understand it, so let's quit kicking them around like armchair imperialists, ok? Great.

20. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

There are more of us who understand you but did not bother to post it, than those who needs you to spell it out for them.