1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U of H

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Dec 2, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Where ever you decide to go to school, I highly recommend that you live on or near campus.

2. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I'm in about the same boat. ... similiar scores... good class rank etc.... but rice is just so tough to get into these days it seems.. 667 freshmen a year....... so i'm hoping i get in:)

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

from the numbers i got the other day on my visit to rice.. i believe the tuition is around 17,000.. which should be quite a bit cheaper than harvard if i recall.....

4. neXXes

neXXes Member

hehehe, there seem to be a lot of high school seniors in this thread... I am one as well. Where are you guys applying? I am applying for sure to: UT, Cornell, Johns Hopkins, Rice, Emory, Dartmouth. I will probably get into UT and Emory, so I dont want to apply to any more "safety schools" (there is always U of H, if it comes to that), so I am applying to the ultra-competitive schools for the hell of it, no harm in trying.

I have a 1390 SAT, I am in nearly all AP classes (Calculus, English Lit., Government, Economics, Physics, and though I am in honors German 4, we are on the same cirriculum as the German 5 AP and German 6 students), but I get Bs in them, so I have a 5.97 GPA out of 6.6666. My school is ultra-competitive so my 5.97 puts me in the 2nd quarter in class ranking (It would be enough for mid-upper 1st quarter in other schools in my district). Most of my friends' stats put mine to shame :( .

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

wow...i thought i had heard it all until a 6.666 GPA scale :)

It seems like every school has some weird weighted formula to determine class ranking

Mine has a 15 point scale where you get 15 pts for a 97-100 in an AP class and 12 for the same grade in a regular class, and it goes downward from there...

The only thing colleges seem to care about is the 4 point system.

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

:eek: 17,000? wow, you better get a better job going to rice, otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life and any other reincarnations paying off the loan! I'd rather take UH for 1/10 the cost. All the guys I know that graduated UH have jobs, it depends on your degree and your field. I've had friends get into law school, med school, pharmacy, dental school, and optometry school(okay phar. and opto are UH schools) after getting their BS at UH...anyone who says UH is a bad school as far as education goes has 1. never been there or 2. has a distorted view of what graduate and professional schools "really" want in their prospective students. If you do well at UH...just like you do at ANY university you will be noticed by most schools or employers. period. this BS of"oh my school is better, oh that one sucks.." blah, blah, blah. get out into the real world, like me, and that **** doesn't matter, its your performance when you acutally work that does. The school I went to was suppose to be the "slum" of my profession, but come time to take the boards I was in the top 5% of the nation. At my job I'm much more efficient than anyone I work with and am noticed by all as having superior skills...so much for the slums huh? Your education is what YOU want to make of it. You can go to a great school and screw up just like you can go to a bad school and screw up...if I go to rice does that mean that I'm guaranteed a great job and all that stuff? nope. what if I go to UH? nope. If a person from rice and UH both score perfect on their MCATS and have a 4.0 GPA you know what...they'll both get into med school. period.
    now if you want to argue about football programs...then YES! Uof H SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

7. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

UofH is better in Chemistry(Bio, org, and norm - better industry contacts) and superconductivity physics(a whole building is dedicated to it)

Rice is better in the biologies(better industry contacts), other physics, and math(how can you really mess up math, though?)

Six figure income in a science field? Better get a patent or be an engineering manager.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No one has asked dr_azadre the most important question if he actually does attend UH:

Can you play basketball or football? They need a lot of help in that area.