1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U of H

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Dec 2, 2001.

Tags:
  1. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Stone Cold-That is true. UH doesn't do enough "bending over backwards" for students.

But, some of the classroom buildings are flat-out old and dilapadated.

Rice, is able to have old buildings that don't seem outdated, with it's gothic design.

The UH buuldings seem like they are from the 1960s and feel like they are about to crumble.

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Oh? I don't understand his sig, then. I won't argue about the quality of UT. :)

3. University Blue

Rice (the university, not the player) is great, maybe a little bit on the conservative side. Nice campus, great programs, and what appears to be never-ending sources of endowment.

That said, I'd like to make a point for the University of Houston.

[Forwarded Message Below -- Paraphrased]

Research
    UH recently received legislative [read: financial] support to continue building its Tier I status as an urban research university. Only two other state-funded universities in Texas have Tier I status: the great University of Texas at Austin and that other one in College Station. (I can't remember if Texas Tech is also Tier I.)

The University is home to some of the top researchers in the world -- at least one or two future Nobel prize recipients (IMO).

Tuition
    (I think) the cost of tuition to attend UH is one of the lowest in the state/country. Don't discount the cost of tuition -- I know more than a few students who owe 100,000+ on loans. (Granted, they're medical students.)

Beautiful People
    There are beautiful people everywhere. (I have to admit, I prefer dating from the Rice community.) UH, however, has it fair share of hot guys/gals.

University (Um, Hook 'em Horns!) Blue

#23 University Blue, Dec 2, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2001
  4. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

UH actually has some great educators/professors. Several of the programs there are top notch.

Its the administration and everything else that sucks. The departments rarely work together, and nothing ever seems to get done for the students in general. The buildings/seating/facilities leave a lot to be desired. Parking is pretty bad. And it is a 'commuter' school - doesn't have the university feel you would find at something like UT/ATM or any big school with lots of students living on campus.

For example, I hear that the administration has agreed to add 2000 parking spaces soon, (at a cost of 5 million). Great, right? Oh but they've also decided to increase enrollment. :rolleyes:

5. Band Geek Mobster

U of H is great if you're a HRM major...home of the one of the best HRM programs in the world.

Also the chicks at U of H have improved dramatically in the looks department, it's like night and day when you compare the Fall 2001 students to the Spring 2001 students...

6. cuttino

cuttino Contributing Member

Sigh......it's not an easy job being the resident Clutchcity.net UH advocate, but someone's got to do it. I just wish I knew why I feel compelled to respond sometimes. It's not like anyone is listening.....

Congratulations on the solid academic achievements. To answer the question, a 30 on the ACT is like a 1290 - 1310 on the SAT (at least according to http://www.uiowa.edu/admissions/first_year/sat_equiv.html).

Despite what you've been told by others in this thread, UH is not a bad school at all. It all depends on what you are planing to do after you graduate. UH's programs in Business, Engineering, Social Work, Law, Creative Writing, and Pharmacy are are all very well regarded. Additionally, many people get an undergraduate degree at UH and then head off to the Ivy League or a "name" school for either a law degree or MBA (I had a classmate that went to Harvard Law) - does "Drewdog" know something that Harvard doesn't? I think not......

Sorry to report that your chance of getting into Rice is not great (just based on the 2 numbers I've heard). Rice's admissions are tough - according to their webpage, the class of 2000 middle 50% scored 1330 - 1500 SAT (31 - 34 ACT). There's a chance you could get in, but that lower quartile is likely to be reserved for students who have special talents outside the classroom (football, music, etc).

Some of the BEST schools in the nation are located in much worse urban settings - Columbia & University of Chicago are the first that come to mind, but many other examples exist (it's actually more the rule than the exception). I graduated from UH with a degree in accounting, passed the CPA on the first try, and have not had any problems getting a job at all (though thanks for your concern). I've worked amongst UT, A&M, and Baylor graduates & have never felt like I missed out on anything.

Wrong again.....but why stop now.

How can I argue with someone who uses "their" when he means to write "there"? If your credentials begin & end with the school listed on your degree, then you never had much chance for success in the first place.

#26 cuttino, Dec 2, 2001
  7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

glad to see the education at work

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

The U of Chicago campus is beautiful, especially in the fall.

The UH campus is easily the ugliest I've seen.

I may have underrated UH's education, but from an aesthetic point of view, UH does not compare to any school I have seen.

9. Band Geek Mobster

kidrock,

I know you're a Florida State fan, have you ever been to their campus?

That is easily the ugliest campus I've ever seen...

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:eek: I don't care if the school doesn't look nice as long as I get an education

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I would definitely look at Rice with those grades. I go to UH and its a pretty good school. The Hotel & Restaurant Management program is the #1 program in the US rite now. Everything else is about average. Its not as crappy as some people are making it out to be. Its no Rice either though.

But as for girls, I am guessing that UH has more hotties then Rice with its nerdy ones. :p

12. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

bgm-Nope. I'll take your word for it though. But, from the 20 or so schools I've seen over my life, UH has some ugly buildings.

Dr-You can get a better education at many other schools in Texas.

I love my city, Houston, but IMO, it's not the best of college towns.

13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any estimates of price of tuition for UH?

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

15. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

You have got to be kidding me! If Im an employer looking for the best possible candidate to fill a postion at my company, a degree from Rice is going to FAR outweigh a degree from Houston, Tech, A&M, UT, SMU, or whoever. It sucks but your school name and status mean a lot in the business world. Especially if you try and get a job out of state.

That was my whole point (albeit a little harsh against U of H). I personally think that a guy with a 4.0 and 30 on the ACT should at least give Rice a look.

#35 Drewdog, Dec 2, 2001
  16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It's worth applying to Rice, if you have a 4.0 and a 30.

But, I wouldn't put all my eggs in the Rice basket.

Unfortunately, Houston doesn't have many schools to offer, and the disparity between Rice and UH is very large.

I guess St. Thomas would be in the middle, but it's a very small school.

17. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Nope, I got accepted at UT in the Spring of '96 but decided to stay at Texas Tech. I regret that decision every single day, because I think it may hurt me job wise in the long run. But hey at least the chicks were hot at Tech.

:D

18. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

kidrock8,

Dude, that's a pretty ridiculous argument to use against a university.

Plus, I don't think the entire campus (or all of its buildings) are horrid. The Ezekiel Cullen, Roy Cullen, Melcher Hall, the Law School, etc all have an appealing look. Sure there are a few buildings that were built during the 70s that look like they were built in the 70s, but whatcha gonna do? Also, there are some nice landscaping to be seen on campus (near the library, east of the social works building, and west of the Roy Cullen building).

Umm, okay... Houston is a sprawling metropolis of approximately 3,000,000 people. It is definitely not a "town".

Houston has the University of Houston, the University of St. Thomas, Rice University, Baylor School of Medicine, Texas Southern University, plus quality community colleges in North Harris C.C. and (to a lesser extent IMO) Houston C.C.

dr_azadre,

It is relatively cheap. But, my recommendation would to attend North Harris Community College first, just to get acclimated to college life. Then after a year or two transfer to U of H (or another school) once you've gotten used to college, know what you're in school for, and have your head screwed tightly on straight (not that you don't now).

If you're hell bent on attending U of H, I would highly reccomend getting your core courses out of the way at NHCC. This will cut down on the likelihood of dealing with inept professors/graduate students and lessen the time you must deal with the U of H administration which, as stated earlier, is pure hell.

Once you move into your area of concentration (college), U of H isn't bad at all. Like cuttino said, there are some very highly regarded programs at U of H. I just finished with a B.B.A in Finance. You can't go wrong with any of the options in the business school (accounting, finance, marketing, management, etc..)

19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Drew-Oops. I just assumed you go to UT.

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Would you like to compare that to Philly, LA, NY, or Boston?

I didn't think so.

There are not many choices of schools in Houston, plain and simple.