1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

U.A.E Ruler spends 22 million to put his name in land

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by showtang043, Jul 21, 2011.

1. showtang043

showtang043 Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/07/20/hamad-sheikh-name-private-island_n_904635.html

I don't get it, we are against dictatorships, oppression, all of which are prevalent, there is leadership like this that have unquestioned control and can put whatever autocracies and rules and impose them on the people. With their view on women(which, yes I believe to be more cultural and not religious. Are the things this guy does from buying a rainbow mercedes clan to this thing really show where his focus is? Its ok to be well off and live well in the religion, but the charity is a big part of it and clearly its wasteful in some regards).
    So isnt this the type of regime we should put pressure on to change and be against? Is it all about oil and partnership, why don't people who are supportive of the other wards realize and see that?

just curious to see other opinions and views.

2. showtang043

showtang043 Member

also, while reading about that white supremacist who was put to death, they mentioned and interesting tidbit about the terrorist involved in 9/11

Of the 19 9/11 hijackers, 15 were from Saudi Arabia, two were from the United Arab Emirates, one was Lebanese and one was Egyptian, according to federal authorities.

No one from Iraq, Iran, Pakistan, or Afghanistan. Undoubtedly they have alquaeda and etc over there, but the war in response to 9/11, yet Saudi, U.a.e none of these guys were involved? What the...

3. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Economic Stimulus.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Completely agree with you except that the UAE imo has succefully wiped Al Qaeda and the like away since 9/11. It's a small country, 1 million nationals, it's quite easy to monitor like hawks and take swift action. Hoards of people hae been deported and jailed on this basis. In fact the rulers here despise Islamic extremism, and as you said tilt more towards cultural extremism. It's difficult for terrorism to brew when people are taken care of, and one of the main intitiatives was to extend major federal funding to the Northern Emirates (the poorer Emirates). Thank God. That could have been a nasty nest for terrorism if given the chance.

Really was very sickened to hear about this though. I'm glad it came out of his own pocket at least.

6. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I dunno, I think it is pretty awesome.

Wasteful, no doubt, but it's his money and his island.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We went after their leadership, which was located in Afghanistan. Iraq is unrelated to 9/11. Obviously there a messed up people in every country in the world.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Wow....how f'n dumb! And how come he didn't write it in Arabic?

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Not that it really matters, but he did he get his money in the first place?

10. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Big deal. Give me enough Diet Coke and a good snowstorm, and I could write names on the ground for a fraction of the cost.

[​IMG]

11. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

LOL :grin:

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

I heard Cuban was going to have a full color portrait of the Mavs holding the trophy etched into Florida for 200 mil.

13. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

This is a glorious representation of all the freedoms afforded through the free market.

We are all free to spend 22 million to write our name on stuff. Glorious liberty!

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

At first I saw U MAD

15. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

We went after terrorists and state sponsors of terrorism. Much of the leadership and training infrastructure of al Queda was in Afghanistan and later Pakistan. Saddam's Iraq was a sponsor of terrorism against Israel, an American ally. The US has not attacked Iran, so I don't know why you included them in your list, but Iran sponsors Hezbollah and Hamas, two terrorist organizations.

16. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

like Saudi Arabia AMIRITE

2 people like this.
  17. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Like many places. Notice that I didn't say we went after EVERY terrorist or state sponsor of terrorism.

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I LOL'ed

repped

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I keep wondering when all these middle eastern monarchies will crater like Tsarist Russia, but then I remember that Nicholas didn't have the U.S. in his back pocket.

20. showtang043

showtang043 Member

Yea I get that, but Many of the actual 9/11 bombers were saudi, and not to mention they fund terrorism and jihadi and extremist viewpoints(against women,etc) all over the globe. They use their money and build centers and exert their influence in pakistan and afghanistan, the extreme and oppressive viewpoints are often stated and influenced under the saudi umbrella. Notice the gifts(in elaborate mosques and funding) they give to pakistan to show their influence. They should've been one of the major countries involved and that we had to take issue with. I don't understand why not, is it just for the oil, is that not sad to any one else that we are in bed with some of the people who spread some of the most extreme, exclusivist, oppressive viewpoints(bush's family is in business with them for starters).

Another interesting point is go back to the Regan administration, the same extremist from afghanistan were promoted by regan as having the courage of the founding fathers of america, thats a quote, and they supplied them with arms and support. Yet now they are saying those same people are inherintently against christianity and the west? Notice when the war was not going on and we were able to be on the same side, they were not trying to attack and bomb us, infact the demographic that most closely resembles the US is Canada. They have been on the record to show no animosity towards canada or intent to harm them. So is this really a religious issue? It clearly shows it about policy and hten you have half the posters saying its all theological and they can't coexist. Aren't the answers pretty simple?