1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyus Jones

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by NBAphenom, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Hey I'm not a Ford fan but all he said was that it looked suspicious. Nothing like he had some inside skinny. The fact is it does look suspicious and if it's not try where are the other recruits. Why no workout for Payne or Delon wright or Dekker or Portis or Lyles or anyone else who might fall to 18. The clock is ticking and no one is coming in. The only guys we are working out are early second possibilities and guys who might not even get drafted.

I know that doesn't mean Morey has alterior motives but he usually at least gets the guys he likes in for a workout. Who knows what his plan is but I suspect Tyus Jones is at least on his radar.

2. Old Man Rock

I think Tyus will contribute by the end of the first year but since when was an 18th pick guaranteed to contribute. Look at DMo and Terrence. What about Marcus Morris a lottery pick.

The kid is 19 years old and he could be special but he is 19. We need major help at the point and no one is giving those good guys away. I suspect they would be surprised for him to contribute a lot the first year but they are desperately looking for help in that area and have to look for the future.

If he contributes as a rookie great but the kid is super smart. That's a big plus on a team with a lot of talent but definitely lacking in the smarts department. Grandpa prigioni was the smartest guy on the team but he don't got anymore talent.

Add Llull and Tyus Jones and we instantly become smarter and more talented at the most important position for smarts. He will figure out how to be a player in this league sooner or later. He might surprise a lot of people when it becomes sooner.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

Sounds like this is just a spin-off from Ford's speculation. This is not how the Rockets do business. I could more readily believe the Rockets are trying to leverage someone else into doing something than that they are seriously considering Tyus.

For example, there have also been rumors that Minnesota is very interested in Tyus (he was born and grew up in Minnesota) and that Dallas wants Rubio. If Tyus falls to Dallas at #21, perhaps the plan is to agree to a trade to be executed in July (when the moratorium is lifted and Dallas has cap room).

But then in steps Houston, who has also been tied to Rubio. We have the better pick, and can actually execute a trade on draft night rather than wait until mid-July.

Not saying this is necessarily what is going on, only that there could be several reasons this is floating around.

5. Old Man Rock

It's all about upgrading. Is or by the end of the season will Tyus Jones be an upgrade over what we have or what we can get?

You have to answer what we have or what we can get first. And before you answer that you have to understand Morey's take on the cap situation as well. I firmly Morey wants to go after another star next year so any move he makes now would have to allow for flexibility to clear enough cap space for that third star.

So that limits a lot of what he can do. Which means sign and trade for Ty Lawson is out the question. Signing Serio Llull and drafting Tyus Jones seems to me to meet Moreys agenda as best as possible. I would consider aquiring both of those guys as a major upgrade eventually over what we have.

I don't see Bev as part of the picture because he comes at a high price and falls under the same scenario as Chandler Parsons did last year. Buy low not high. Terry is insurance but only a part time fix at best.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FWIW, dealing with Rubio's Poison Pill status (which does not expire until July 1, when his extension kicks in) will be exceedingly difficult to work around. I would be surprised if Rubio is (officially) traded on draft night for that reason.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Hi Bima,

I've looked into this very issue. Between the Rockets contracts and Wolves TPEs, it seems like it's very doable.

#18 pick
    Papa
    Prigioni
    TJones - Brewer TPE
    Dorsey
    Nick Johnson

for Rubio

The only hangup I can see is the roster limit restrictions, but I thought those raised to 20 in the offseason.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The Rockets never do what people expect.

Bringing in a player, working them out, letting it slip that they are the guy - it just isnt the Rockets style. So definitely no Jones.
    BUT, The Rockets nevr do what people expect, so definitely picking Jones.

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm a Jones fan; I'm a Dukie after all and watched a ton of his games.

Nonetheless, for where the Rockets are right now in their chase for a championship, it makes no sense to stash a rookie PG away--especially one as physically ill-prepared for the jump to the NBA as Jones--regardless of the potential.

Jones has great ballhandling, great shooting, and is clutch as all get out. But so were Shane Larkin and Tyler Ennis supposedly. Even Chris Paul stayed in college an extra year to grow out his ass so he wouldn't be thrown around the court.

Drafting a PG is like drafting a QB. Ain't nobody got time fo that! Expect a trade or a stash pick.

11. Old Man Rock

The Rockets need to improve at shooting not get worse. For all the things Rubio shooting is not one of them and I would say that is a premium of what we need out of the PG spot. No matter who we bring in at point the playmaking duties will still be a big part of Harden's job.

Whether Morey Mchale or anyone else wants to change it Harden is not completely caving to that idea. He will pull the reigns back some but he loves that ball in his hands.

So the thing Rubio is best at won't traditionally be needed as much and the thing needed mostly from him 3 point set shots is not any better than Nick Johnson.

And as for not Morey's way. Morey's way is doing the whatever works. I don't know if he wants Tyus Jones but all the recent workouts are for guys at 32 or later as opposed to 18.

He could be doing a lot of work behind the scenes and he could be hiding workouts but that seems highly unlikely since the other player would have to agree to that and why would they unless they were offered a hush hush deal.

Also I would add IMO Llull is a better fit than Rubio. So I think he is working hard to upgrade the PG from two angles and neither involve Rubio.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

According to most draft "experts," after Porzingis and Hezonga (both sure-fire lottery picks), there is a steep drop off in foreign talent in this draft. While the 32nd pick could very well be a used on a foreign prospect to stash, I doubt that's what happens at 18.

As always, many trade possibilities will be explored. But the odds of any particular trade happening are always small.

13. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

As a fellow Dukie who watched all of Jones' games last year, I fully support this post. I LOVE TJ, but unless we know we are able to sign Llull, I can't foresee us drafting a guy who is 2-3 years out from being physically ready to play in the NBA. His 'size' is perfectly fine for a PG, height wise, but he definitely needs to fill out a little more.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I think Tyus Jones is sought-after by the Timberwolves. Maybe by other teams. If we take him, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a trade (2, 3 teams).

I'm sure Tyus Jones is good, but McHale loves rookies the way JVG loved foreign players not named Yao. If Llull is coming over, and if we re-sign Beverly, not so much need for Tyus Jones. Even in the RGV.

15. basketballholic

Tyus is from Minnesota and the Minnesota fan base loves him. But I've not run across any information that Flip and the Wolves want him badly. Do you have something on that that you could share?

16. Old Man Rock

almost nothing I say gets posted here but I don't care Mr Hardisty like me or not I always post y truth and my truth is tyus jones is the best pick at 18th than almost anyone he coould fall there.

17. PointZero

PointZero Member

Tyus Jones is a Jordan Farmar clone. He doesn't play defense. Rockets can't afford to have a 6'1" no-defense guard alongside Harden.

18. Old Man Rock

That's just not true. He plays smart on defense. He does not have the best measurables but he will be a significant upgrade on JET and Prigioni. If you want is he is good as Beverley the answer is Beverly is not as good as Beverly.

When Beverly worked harder on improving his playmaking and shooting his defense suffered significantly this year. Tyus has those skills naturally and is much smarter than Bev. He may not be the pitbull Beverly was but he will be a solid defender.

I think Tyus Jones has all the skills to be a great PG. And we're lucky that to many GM's place too much importance on combine numbers and measurables. Tyus Jones is the perfect fit along side Harden. He won't demand the ball all the time but when Harden gets ISO crazy Jones can have a calming effect on the team. He is 19 so it will take him a while to get acclimated but I do believe by mid season should be up and running and will only improve from there.

19. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Better scoring option than Delon Wright which is what Harden has asked for.

20. Normalus

Normalus Member

Quote: "Harden needs someone who can attack without anybody's help."

And Tyus definitely can't do so...Jerian Grant at the other hand...;) Probably our pick if he's not gone before...