1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyus Jones

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by NBAphenom, Apr 7, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

If he is promised then the Rockets cant go and draft someone else. It will be extremely bad faith. Who is jones agent? He must have been given enough insurance to withdraw from workouts already.
    and its not just thqt. All i have heard is that the rox analutics love jones even before this promise.
    the rockets and the wolves are the teams who showed so much interest in him. And then the mavs.

2. finsraider

finsraider Member

Who said we promised to draft him? Chad Forde?

I would be shocked if the Rockets promised him anything, and I'd be shocked if Tyus agreed to it. Tyus is supposed to go to someone in the late teens to mid 20s....its not like the Rockets would be drafting him well ahead of his projected value. And Tyus is not an unknown.....he went to the NBA combine and played in the national championship.

Again, more likely, this is just smoke. Nobody in the media has any idea what the Rockets will do. Our biggest question mark is at PG, so we are throwing a lot of things out there to keep other teams guessing. "We are high on Tyus Jones" "Sergio Llull is coming over" "We will resign Patrick Beverley".

Here's my best guess: the Rockets draft a high upside big at #18, and then take a guard or Euro at #32. The Rockets DO NOT REACH on PGs.

3. malakas

malakas Member

Yes. Thats who said the rox promised him. If it isnt the rockets someone else did. If he is promised by whatever team he must have been given enough insurance so as to hold back so soon. And that team wojt go back on its promise.

4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I've never gotten why a team would be fined for telling a draft prospect they will draft him if he's still on the board.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

CP3 was taken 3rd overall, I think. I doubt Morey would expect Tyus to produce similar to CP3.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

If you're using your last good 1st round pick on an undersized, low athleticism player like Tyus, then yes......you better be sure he has big upside.

PGs are the deepest spot in the NBA, so if you draft Tyus, you're likely married to him as he won't get you a return in the same neighborhood as the #18 pick in a trade.

If the Rockets draft Tyus, they think he's got big upside. Maybe not CP3-esqe, but they do expect him to be a top 10 PG eventually.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

OK, that is reasonable.

8. PointZero

PointZero Member

Tiny Tyus will never defend Curry who's 2 inches taller and he also can't play off the ball with Harden. There's a certain kind of PG the Rockets need and tiny ball dominant Tyus isn't it.

9. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Tyus is a better fit than lanky Delon.

10. PointZero

PointZero Member

Tyus is too much like Jordan Farmar. Just not going to provide the point guard defense the Rockets need. Between Harden and Tyus that's two non-defenders in the backcourt. Thompson and Curry would light them up.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You really wanna be on the Rockets don't you Delon??

12. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

[rquoter]Dom (Fl) [via mobile]

What's all this I hear about Tyus Jones and the Rockets giving a promise?

Chad Ford (1:50 PM)

He "hurt" his back in a workout with the Rockets. Quit working out. The Rockets love him. Thus the speculation (and it's speculation) that perhaps they shut him down by promising to take him at 18 if he quit working out. We'll see if Jones starts working out again in the next few weeks. But I do get it from both sides. The Rockets need a point guard and are big on analytics. Most analytics models are very high on Jones. Jones would have a chance to play major minutes on a good team. That has to be very appealing. What number you are drafted at doesn't matter nearly as much as where you are drafted

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/51833/nba-insider-chad-ford
    [/rquoter]

13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Chad Ford has no evidence to suggest that the Rockets shut Tyus Jones down. It sounds like complete BS to me. No one knows what really goes on in the workouts, unless it is leaked. The Houston Rockets will never do that IMO. There is no doubt that Tyus has had a back injury in college. I would assume that the Rockets would definitely want to see any player complete a full workout in order to assess their stamina and fitness.

Chad Ford is trying to link analytics Tyus and the Rockets in order to strengthen his claim to be an insider and to sell his news IMO.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

Pretty much my thoughts. He even admits that it's just speculation, ie he's trying to string things together.

ESPN will get ahold of it, and just before the Rockets pick, a commentator will say "The Rockets are up and Tyus Jones is still on the board.....seems like a match made in heaven".

Then Silver will step up to the podium: "With the 18th pick in the 2015 NBA draft, the Houston Rockets select (pause....rereading the name) XYZ European player that nobody has ever heard of". 3 of the anchors will sit there dumbfounded, and the 4th will be frantically shuffling through their notes trying to find something. They will spend about a minute on the pick, then talk for the next 4 about what a great job the team with the 17th pick did drafting a well known player that is almost sure to be a bust.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

The Rockets DON'T leak something they are going to do. They leak stuff they are absolutely NOT going to do.

15. basketballholic

Been watching a lot of video of him the last few days. There's no denying this freshman kid did great thing at Duke. He led them through the tourney and was sensational. Freshman.

So, I have no question that the kid can ball. IF we draft him, I hope it's a case where McHale puts him out there and lets him swim.

And I'm not as down on his defense as I used to be after watching him. He's incredibly smart, puts himself in the right position to make plays. I'm liking him more and more. I think he'll battle defensively and I think he can be a plus defender by using his head..like CP3 does. He's got that nack for being in the right place, coming in from the side and bothering shooters. Although he's too small to block the shot, he positions himself on the shooters hand and bothers them on the release. I like that a lot. He knows what the opponent offense is trying to do and he works counter to it. I like that a lot. Shows very high bball iq.

I just hope if we draft him that McHale puts him in with the starters, leaves him alone, and lets him go get it. I hope we don't take him and stuff him down in RGV all season.

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

This.

Whether is Jones or Grant, I hope that Morey doesn't stash them somewhere. The optimism here is that either player will give much more of a jolt to the team than two grandpas. Surrounded by 2 superstars and a bunch of good role players, they need not be Curry to help us. Can't wait for draft day.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'd be happy with tyus jones at 18. i think he'd be like terry off the ball and like prigs with the ball... except 20 years younger than both. good fit next to harden. he has limitations with creating for himself and on defense, both due to his average speed/athleticism. overall i think he can be a quality starter next to harden for years to come. in addition, we made the WCF with no real PG, so he should be able to immediately help.

all that being said... anytime we hear the rockets like someone in the draft, we should know better than to believe it.

18. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Chad Forde is a pathological liar.

19. Chamillionaire

He does make great outlet passes that lead to fast break opportunities and seems to know how to run the PnR well. Seems like a decent shooter with good mechanics and has a bit of the "clutch" gene. That being said, not sure if he's gonna put us over the top. I'm assuming Morey's gonna find us a competent PG. Either bringing over Llull, trading for an upgrade at that position, or through the draft.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't really have a problem with McHale, but what you described is the reason I've skeptical of drafting Tyus. If a team in the Rockets shoes is drafting a player like Tyus, then they are expecting him to play at a very high level right off the bat. He's not a prospect. He's not raw. He won't get you much in a trade unless he performs at a very high level, and then you won't want to trade him.

Drafting Tyus is one dimensional. He's either a great player that can contribute immediately, or it's a wasted pick.

I like Tyus. Any freshman that can earn Coach Ks trust before the season even starts has an almost universal seal of approval. But the rockets are a championship contender with limited bullets left in their gun. Using the #18 on Tyus is a high risk move with a greater chance of flopping than working.