1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyson Gay tested positive

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 14, 2013.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/sports/tyson-gay-tests-positive-for-banned-substance.html?_r=0

The American 100-meter record holder Tyson Gay tested positive for a banned substance and said he will pull out of the world championships next month in Moscow.

Gay would not reveal the substance in a phone conversation from Amsterdam on Sunday, but he said he was notified by the United States Anti-Doping Agency late last week that a sample came back positive from a May 16 out-of-competition test. He said he will have his B sample tested soon, possibly as early as this week.

“I don’t have a sabotage story. I don’t have any lies. I don’t have anything to say to make this seem like it was a mistake or it was on USADA’s hands, someone playing games,” said Gay, who fought back sobs as he spoke. “I don’t have any of those stories. I basically put my trust in someone and I was let down.”

Asked who that person was, Gay replied: “I can’t really say it. Sometimes a human being naturally, generally trusts somebody. That’s what people do.”

A triple world champion in 2007, Gay was healthy again this season after being constantly plagued by hamstring and groin ailments, along with a surgically repaired hip. He won the 100 and 200 at nationals last month, setting up an anticipated showdown with Usain Bolt at worlds.

But that has been scrubbed. Gay also said he will pull out of a meet in Monaco and fly back to the headquarters of USADA in Colorado Springs, Colo., to be on hand when his B sample is tested.

A few years ago, Gay was part of USADA’s program called “My Victory,” where athletes pledge to compete clean. In his testimonial on the website, Gay said, “I compete clean because I really believe in fairness, and besides that, my mom would kill me! Just being honest.”

He has spoken with his teammates, friends and family, including his mother and daughter.

“They already know it is some type of accident, or some type of — I don’t want to use certain words, to make it seem like an accident, because I know exactly what went on, but I can’t discuss it right now,” he said. “My career and my name have always been better than medals or records or anything like that. I’ve always wanted a clean name with anything. Unfortunately, I have to break this news, that I have a positive A sample.”

In a statement, USATF CEO Max Siegel, the chief executive officer of U.S.A. Track and Field, said: “It is not the news anyone wanted to hear, at any time, about any athlete.”

Siegel added: “We do not know the facts of this case and look to USADA to adjudicate it and handle it appropriately.”

Gay wouldn’t go into specifics about the case, saying he couldn’t “discuss it” when asked if what he tested positive for was a steroid.

“I have to go over everything with USADA first,” said Gay, who finished fourth at the London Games last summer. “I will take whatever punishment I get like a man. I do realize and respect what I put in my body and it is my responsibility.

“I’m going to be honest with USADA, about everything, everybody I’ve been with, every supplement I’ve ever taken, every company I’ve ever dealt with, everything.”

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I pretty much gave up on track long ago. After Ben Johnson, it was never cool to follow the sport. I'll still watch a major race or something, but I'm not interested in following meets like I used to be back in the 80's. The whole sporting world seems to be contaminated with this mess and I don't trust anything going on in track these days. That being said, Tyson always seemed like an honest guy, and he may have been involved in a "mistrust", but ultimately the screw-up is his fault and his to bear.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

^^
    I don't trust anyone below 9.9 seconds.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Asafa Powell, Nesta Carter and Sherone Simpson also tested positive, wow. This is huge.

5. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Man this sucks and I was really looking forward to that meet. Had a cousin who ran with Santa Monica track team in heyday. Met C Lewis at his home and a few others. Dam I'm a Tyson fan.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

July 14 - Tyson Gay and Asafa Powell, two of the world's leading sprinters in recent years, are both facing doping suspensions after reports of positive tests.

Gay, the former world 100 and 200 metres champion from the United States, was expected to mount a huge challenge to the double Olympic champion Usain Bolt of Jamaica at next month's International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) World Championships in Moscow, but has admitted testing positive for a banned substance.

Powell, the former 100m record holder, was one of five Jamaican athletes reported to have tested positive for banned substances.

Powell, Nesta Carter and Sherone Simpson are three of the five, according to reports.

The Jamaica Gleaner reported that five Jamaicans had tested positive and confirmed Powell and Simpson.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sport...inters-gay-powell-and-simpson-fail-drug-tests

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It's annoying because Usain seems like such a likeable guy, but it's hard to believe anyone can run these times without doping.

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

Usain wasn't accused of anything like this though, right?

I'm sure his record isn't in jeopardy.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The whole issue with the Jamaican team that I've had is that I still don't know how that country all of a sudden starts generating runner after runner that is not only "good", but legitimate world record threats. On top of that, they're not just threats to beat WR's, they annihilate WR's. It's insane. There's got to be doping going on in there. Of course I have no proof, and maybe I'm in the wrong for suggesting it with no real proof, but I'm going to stick to it. Jamaica dopes and dopes hard. But like I said, they're not the only ones... it's rampant across countries and in many sports, no doubt.

10. Asian Sensation

So what do you guys think he was taking?

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

My guess would be some sort of synthetic test booster.

12. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

You see the word "Gay" and "Tested Positive" in a thread title and you have to automatically assume HIV. I did.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You do know that straight are prone to HIV as well, right?

Thank you for contributing to the subject at hand!