1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tyreke Evans?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

i think if we did make a move for Tyreke, it would be with the intention of having him play point with the ball in his hands. Harden would be the one playing off the ball.

but i really do think Tyreke's a poor fit for our team.

2. Arthurprescott2

But that only worked for OKC cause of the insane surplus of talent they have in WB and KD. Rockets, on the other hand, don't have the talent for that to work. You basically need 2 practically unguardable players (we know Harden is not that - neither is Tyreke).

Moreover w/ OKC, 80-90% of the time WB/KD are going to beat 1-on-1 defense and even double teams. Thus even though their ball-movement last year was terrible and their offense was basically ISO for KD/WB (w/ Harden infusing a bit of ball movement), this was enough to get them to the Finals. But not enough to win. OKC recognized the flawed nature of this offensive philosophy and are working to change it this year - WB is a much better passer this year and so is KD. The ball movement on OKC is so much better. Even Russ is playing within the flow of the offense, unlike last year when it felt like 3-4 times a game he would suck all the momentum from the Thunder w/ 2 consecutive long 3's w/ 18 seconds left on the clock when KD had just made 2 great plays or Ibaka had gotten a stop.

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

If Westbrook and Harden can work then there is a chance that Evans and harden can. I think it's worth a shot if you don't have to give up Jones or DMo.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's not gonna work out at all. At best you're gonna have a poor man's version of KD (harden) and WB (Evans).

Evans can break out and get better, but you still can't forget that he's one of the main reasons the Sac is so dysfunctional. He's got 2x the ball hog tendency of Evan but has like half his talent. Right now he's missing a lot of skills needed for a true championship contender, so until he learns how to play proper team ball I don't think he's worth a look.

5. pnr

pnr Member

Harden is the better playmaker, so I don't understand why Tyreke would be playing point in this situation.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Tyreke has actually been playing great this year. Also I don't think there is one 'Main' reason that Sacremento sucks. There are a lot of reasons and we can't just ignore Cousins either.

I really don't want to use the term ballhog. It only applies to a guy that isn't making his shots. He's making them. Almost all of the superstars are ballhogs...

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's not about just taking and making shots. It's about how long you control the ball without passing the rock. If are dribbling the air out the ball and then passing it, you are also a ball hog.

8. LC Rox Fan

LC Rox Fan Member

Rather get Cousins or another backcourt player instead of another guard. I wouldn't want Evans coming in and playing at the three either since we got Parsons.

9. Commodore

Commodore Member

if Morey wants him, I want him

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

There is a huge gap between the talent levels of Chris Paul and Tyreke Evans, man.

And if you were going to add a superstar to this team then no CP3 would not be my first choice for the same reasons.

That said anytime you can get a superstar you have to do it.

Tyreke though, is not a superstar, not an all star, not anything but a ball hogging roleplayer.

11. Asian Sensation

Why? We don't need ballstoppers. We need shooters, playmakers, rebounders and depth.

The only thing Tyreke can provide is scoring and insurance for Harden in a bench role. I don't think he wants to do that. I would've given him a chance before we got Harden so we could showcase him and build his value up and flip him (which is exactly what Sac is trying to do) but I just don't see him fitting here at this time.

12. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

As a Sac town resident, I want nothing to do with him. We have Harden who is 100x better. Evans is an awful shooter, who plays inferior defense. He will probably get a decent contract from some dumb team that will pay based upon his potential.

13. Asian Sensation

Chris Paul is a true PG and an elite playmaker/decision maker who can break down defenses and shoot as well. The ball should be in his hands. There's a difference between having the ball in your hands if you can do magical things with it (CP3) as opposed to having the ball in your hands and dominating the rock without much cause (Evans).

14. Commodore

Commodore Member

only if Chuck Hayes is part of the deal

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well obviously Chris Paul is better and on another level. He's on another level than Harden too so I don't know why any one would act like I said differently.

The thing is most of these guys 'Need the ball in their hands' and I really get tired of everyone using the term 'Ballhog' such an overused term. Yall think if we got Cousins he'd be any less of a ballhog? Part of his problems in Sacramento is him wanting more time and touches, that's not going to change. Great players want the ball, they don't want to just spot up and shoot.

Any ways, no Tyreke isn't a superstar. Neither is Harden right now. You are not going to have teams just hand you a superstar perennial all-star player, you have to take risks and gamble on guys either that or you have to hope one gets disgruntled and literally falls into your lap and that could happen tomorrow...or the next 5 years...

All these people saying he's ballhogging and not doing anything with it must not seen that he's playing better this year and shooting at a higher clip. The numbers even say that so it's probably time to start thinking of other knocks on his game.

16. Asian Sensation

I loved Chuck when he was here just like 99.9% of CFans but that ship has sailed. We have a much younger, taller, athletic, equally hard working option at a fraction of the cost in Greg Smith.

Chuck is almost 30 and I'm happy he got paid just not by us. With 3 years left on his contract I'll pass.

17. Codman

Codman Member

Can I have DeMarcus or Chuck instead?

18. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

2009 draft class - Lets be honest, that is all that needs to be said when Morey is involved.

19. chongx04

chongx04 Member

Doubt the advanced stats geeks in the front office want one of the most statistically inefficient offensive players in the league, unless they're trying to get us a higher draft pick. No way that guy is going to respond well with going to the D-League, either.

20. Asian Sensation

James Harden is an All-Star on the verge of Super-stardom if he keeps improving and can be more consistent. Tyreke Evans is a player that had an amazing rookie campaign but insteads of improving he's gotten progressively worse each year. Evans will probably never even be an All-star. He's not even close worth mentioning in the same breath as The Beard.

The points, rebounds and assists (biggest factor to me) have all dropped each year. He's shooting the same percentage as he was last year which is nowhere close to his rookie year. Not sure what numbers you're looking at.